Home
Fellas,

I have a M70 Stainless Classic in .375 H&H, and the safety isn't "positive" when moving through the three positions; I'd describe it as "soft" or "mushy," especially when moving to fire. Is it possible to replace the entire safety mechanism, and are there any aftermarket upgrades (Dakota, custom, etc) that I ought to consider when making this switch?
Check gunsmith Ed La Pour's website, he makes an excellent three position safety. I had him install one one my Springfield 1922 training rifle.
Im hearing very good things about a guy, REDNECK here, loves mod 70 's and is fair, knows em blindfolded! very best WinPoor
Edit, If you look at the way the safety is made, the feel you get is from a spring pushing a small ball bearing into a detent, one of three, in years past any problems I had were just the opposite of yours, to hard to go from detent to detent! Usually a spot of rust on ball or an extra heavy spring or to deep a detent! PB blaster usually fixed the problem. YMMV, Is your gun a New Haven ? A lot of poor QC stuff went out the door at the end of New Haven... sad end to a great company... v best WinPoor
I will bet it is a poorly "fit" firing pin causing the mushy Safety. Watch the rear of your firing pin while engaging the Safety. If it is barely moving rearward, that is the cause of your problem. A new firing pin is the easiest fix, but a good gunsmith can make that one work but it will cost as much as a new pin being fit anyhow.
© 24hourcampfire