Home
Posted By: RGK Back From the Dead - 09/24/15
I like project guns...especially something that REALLY turns out nice. Pristine, unmolested collector stuff is OK, but a redone rifle is better. It looks great (sometimes better than originally) but can be used, due to collector status being less than a pristine rifle. It all depends on who does the work.

Here's a Winchester take-down that was case-hardened and blued by my bud, Justin McMillan. He also rebuilt and cased the Redfield receiver sight as an additional touch. He left the stock alone, except for steaming out some dents and adding a coat of oil. It looks better with the aged look he wanted, instead of a complete stock refinish.

Bore (.30-30) is mint. I like this one.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Back From the Dead - 09/24/15
Whelen butt stock on the gun....
Posted By: RGK Re: Back From the Dead - 09/24/15
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Whelen butt stock on the gun....

You lost me on that one.
Bob
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Back From the Dead - 09/24/15
Fluted comb, often found on special order guns....
Posted By: RGK Re: Back From the Dead - 09/24/15
Roger that. It has a crescent butt (also cased). This was a basket case and a total beater when Justin started work on it. It had a nice bore though, so it was a good candidate for a re-do. Markings are still sharp, take-down threads are like-new and there's no wood shrinkage. Wish it were mine.
Bob
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Back From the Dead - 09/26/15
Nice!
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Back From the Dead - 09/28/15
Damn Bob, That is a beauty. Justin's got some talent.
Posted By: RGK Re: Back From the Dead - 09/28/15
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Damn Bob, That is a beauty. Justin's got some talent.

He does. He's pretty good for a pistolsmith. How's my knife looking? The waiting is killing me!
Bob
Posted By: g5m Re: Back From the Dead - 10/07/15
Beautiful.
© 24hourcampfire