Home
Posted By: Sinistral First Model 70 - 11/23/15
I just made a deal for a LH Model 70 Classic Sporter in 30-06. I can't wait for it to arrive. Any suggestions from the experts on M70's to lookout for? Anything finicky about them?
Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: First Model 70 - 11/23/15
The only thing I can think of is the "hot glue bedding". Replace that with some good devcon 10110 or similar bedding compound and you'll be good to go. Freefloat the barrel after bedding and you'll get the utmost accuracy from the rifle. Some guys replace the classics extractor with a better one made by Williams. Other than that, the calassic CRF model 70 is pretty damn bullet proof.. Good luck with yours.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: First Model 70 - 11/23/15
Incase you don't know what "hot glue bedding" looks like, here it is:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: donsm70 Re: First Model 70 - 11/23/15
I would look out for many more to come!

donsm70
Posted By: gunner500 Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is no known cure, it's terminal! grin
Posted By: Sinistral Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Great, I'll look into bedding the action. Since I'm left handed I'm not sure how bad the disease will get, hard to find.
Posted By: tvknight4150 Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Six years ago, I got my first M70 - a featherweight stainless in 270WSM. I keep trying to find an excuse to let it go, and I keep failing, because it shoots so darn good. Even with its perennial problem of repeated DRTs on whitetails, I just can't seem to part with it. The action is just too slick for my taste, and the safety is too quiet and doesn't spook deer like other good rifles do.

(Yes, I was being sarcastic about DRTs and smooth actions and quiet safeties being a problem)
Posted By: john843 Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by tvknight4150
Six years ago, I got my first M70 - a featherweight stainless in 270WSM. I keep trying to find an excuse to let it go, and I keep failing, because it shoots so darn good. Even with its perennial problem of repeated DRTs on whitetails, I just can't seem to part with it. The action is just too slick for my taste, and the safety is too quiet and doesn't spook deer like other good rifles do.

(Yes, I was being sarcastic about DRTs and smooth actions and quiet safeties being a problem)

and ther're ugly!

John
Posted By: Sinistral Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Man, you guys are making me want to sell it already. Do you sense the sarcasm?
Posted By: tmitch Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by Sinistral
Man, you guys are making me want to sell it already. Do you sense the sarcasm?

You could probably triple your money.
Posted By: EricM Re: First Model 70 - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

That's the truth! grin
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: First Model 70 - 11/25/15
If it shoots like my early 90's , 3006 BOSS, you will be hooked for life! v best WinPoor
Posted By: local_dirt Re: First Model 70 - 11/26/15
The fever is setting in. smile
Posted By: Sinistral Re: First Model 70 - 12/01/15
Well, looks like you guys were right. I have a trade deal pending for a my second LH model 70 in 300 WSM.
It is a fever!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: First Model 70 - 12/04/15
Congratulations! smile
© 24hourcampfire