Home
Posted By: verg Model 70 synthetic - 12/02/15
I may be in the market for a model 70 in a synthetic version. Thinking the .270. Looking at the extreme weather and the ultimate shadow..they have different barrel lengths for the 270. ES is 22 and the US is 24. Why is that? I think I prefer the 22 in barrel but think I like the ultimate shadow better.
Anyone have experience with either of these two...thoughts/opinions?
thanks
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/02/15
EW is more money, stock will need to be replaced with a better Mcmillan. EW has a fluted barrel and is 22" vs. the 24" on the Ultimate shadow. Ultimate shadow will cost considerably less when all is said and done: Meaning, I can live with the dura touch stock...The ergos are better on that one, except the stock is more flimsy than the EW stock. However, the ergos on the EW aren't to my liking. The Ultimate shadow is (surprisingly) 2 oz's lighter. Chop 2" off the barrel and it will be close to 1/4 pound lighter than the EW. 270's don't need 24 inch long barrels. Keep in mind that both of these rifles will be made in Portugal if you buy a new one. They will also have the MOA/enclosed trigger that most traditionalist don't care for...
Posted By: verg Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/02/15
Yeah that is the basis of my question. Agreed...270 does not need 24in barrel so I guess I wonder why the shadow has one?
Posted By: Brad Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/03/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
EW is more money, stock will need to be replaced with a better Mcmillan

Why?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/03/15
Originally Posted by Brad

Why?

Because they fu cking suck Brad. You are a little slow here lately... However, if you like that heavy pos, have at it man..

This is what a real extreme weather should look like:

[Linked Image]

Hint... wink

Why?

Because they fu cking suck Brad. You are a little slow here lately... However, if you like that heavy pos, have at it man..
Hint... wink

Why do they "fu cking suck" and why do they "need" to be replaced? You still haven't given logical answers. Emotional yes, logical no.
Posted By: 79S Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/03/15
Bsa always gets emotional over this lol if it isn't a McMillan stock it's garbage... I have a sc made ew in 325 wsm and I don't mind the bc stock at all.. sometimes my good bud bsa forgets everyone has a different taste for rifles...
Originally Posted by 79S
Bsa always gets emotional over this lol if it isn't a McMillan stock it's garbage... I have a sc made ew in 325 wsm and I don't mind the bc stock at all.. sometimes my good bud bsa forgets everyone has a different taste for rifles...

I'm just trying to understand why the EW stock sucks so badly it "needs" to be replaced.

I've had at least 3 B&C stocked rifles that I can remember, including a current EW, and I never found the stocks "needed" to be replaced. They're perfectly decent stocks, albeit a bit clubby.

A McMillan Hunters Edge is a slightly lighter stock, and is more svelt than the EW B&C, but it's also $650. When I replaced the B&C on my current M70 EW with a McMillan Hunters Edge I didn't do it because I "needed" to, I did it because I "wanted" to. Bit of a difference.

Weight savings was 4.8 oz's.
Posted By: 79S Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/04/15
Originally Posted by 79S

I'm just trying to understand why the EW stock sucks so badly it "needs" to be replaced.

I've had at least 3 B&C stocked rifles that I can remember, including a current EW, and I never found the stocks "needed" to be replaced. They're perfectly decent stocks, albeit a bit clubby.

A McMillan Hunters Edge is a slightly lighter stock, and is more svelt than the EW B&C, but it's also $650. When I replaced the B&C on my current M70 EW with a McMillan Hunters Edge I didn't do it because I "needed" to, I did it because I "wanted" to. Bit of a difference.

Weight savings was 4.8 oz's.

I agree a McMillan is not going to do me any better than what I have (that's my opinion, others have their own) is the McMillan worth $650 to me to nope.. I know of a couple guys that carry those clubs of ew into the mts of Alaska chasing sheep...
Posted By: Tony_Soprano Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/04/15
Depends upon your application. A .270 is the perfect open country cartridge- longer barrel is better suited for sticks and longer shots (steadier, not a velocity issue). If you want something quicker handling get the shorter barrel. I prefer 24" in all of my 270s.
Posted By: Brad Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by 79S

I agree a McMillan is not going to do me any better than what I have (that's my opinion, others have their own) is the McMillan worth $650 to me to nope.. I know of a couple guys that carry those clubs of ew into the mts of Alaska chasing sheep...

I much prefer the comb of the B&C EW stock than that of nearly any McMillan stock, including the Hunters Compact Edge. And some folks bigger than myself actually prefer the thicker/larger build of the B&C. Of course it's thicker because it's chopped glass and needs that additional girth for strength.

Little in life is black and white...
Posted By: Brad Re: Model 70 synthetic - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by verg
I may be in the market for a model 70 in a synthetic version. Thinking the .270. Looking at the extreme weather and the ultimate shadow..they have different barrel lengths for the 270. ES is 22 and the US is 24. Why is that? I think I prefer the 22 in barrel but think I like the ultimate shadow better.
Anyone have experience with either of these two...thoughts/opinions?
thanks

Verg, I've had them both. The nice thing about a 24" barrel is you can always have it cut and re-crown to whatever length you want. I prefer less than 24 on a 270 and think 22-23" is about right. But that, of course, is personal preference.

The Ultimate Shadow stock is typical injection molded plastic. If you get one I'd recommend you bed it. It's a pretty straightforward job. Nice thing about the Ultimate Shadow is it's about $300 less than the EW. If you want a fiberglass stock that additional $300 gets you a long way to replacing the factory stock.
© 24hourcampfire