Home
338 Alaskan

Hey guys, this looks like a nice rifle. I'd probably buy it, and re-sell the laminated stock on ebay. If someone is looking for a good 338, this may be worth checking out...
That is nice rifle with stock superior to the original. The .338 is a lot of gun for most American hunting no fun to shoot even with 225s. Unless on hunts: elk, bison, brown or polar bear or moose there isn't real reason or need to own one.
Yep, ditch the laminate and put it back to the original. Pretty sure it'll go past the "bargain" range, it's had a lot of exposure and been viewed 400+ times. But who knows, funny things happen on auctions.
Originally Posted by Slavek
That is nice rifle with stock superior to the original. The .338 is a lot of gun for most American hunting no fun to shoot even with 225s. Unless on hunts: elk, bison, brown or polar bear or moose there isn't real reason or need to own one.

These are sweet babys to shoot. My custom pre 64 338 win mag weighs 7 3/4 pounds and it isn't even that bad... wink. I've shot 50 rounds off the bench with an original 1959 338 win mag Alaskan, along with 30-06, 7mm rem mag and 9.3x62mm in the same day... wink
Less than I thought ... Someone here get it?
$1625. More than I thought it would go for.
What really surprised me is what this one sold for: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539305859
Less than I thought it would go for as well. I was thinking that was a $1,700.00 rifle. I'd throw it back in the original stock and sell the laminated stock to re-coup some of the initial cost. I think the buyer got a pretty good deal...
.338 WM is a great deer cartridge!
Yep I snagged it. Haven't owned one of these yet so I thought I grab that one. BSA the laminated stock will be sold and so will the scope probably, as well as the peep sight. Now I have to clear space in my safe. Any one interested in a super clean 30-06 with an uncut stock? smile
Nice grab. I mistakenly thought the original stock was cut for the pad. You did well on it. What peep sight are you referring to? I didn't see it in the auction.
Oops sorry wrong auction. I was bidding on two and got confused. Sorry, although I do have a peep sight I will be selling.
No wonder I couldn't find the peep....
They have a 338 win mag Alaskan here locally and they are wanting over $3,000.00 for it sick
Dang now I definitely felling like I got a deal
Post some pics after you get it. Thanks..
Wow sorry for the poor spelling in the last post. What can I say SIRI and I are on the outs at the moment. Once the gun arrives I will definitely post pics. Thanks for the tip BSA.
I have shot over 100 deer Witt my 338 from 3 yards to 425 yards .I know they are going down and the meat will be good up to the bullet hole .It shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards and under an inch at 200 yards .I lived in Alaska 12 years and its the best all around gum for North America hands down !
I'm on my second 338. I have taken one to Alaska and Africa twice. It has taken animals from Whitetails to Eland with authority.
Originally Posted by dgr416
I have shot over 100 deer Witt my 338 from 3 yards to 425 yards .I know they are going down and the meat will be good up to the bullet hole .It shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards and under an inch at 200 yards .I lived in Alaska 12 years and its the best all around gum for North America hands down !

I feel the same way about the cartridge, then couple it with the pre 64 model 70 and you have a match made in heaven. Damn near perfect combination.
© 24hourcampfire