Home
Posted By: southtexas I may need help - 01/27/16
A while back I went to a gun show looking for a shooter p64 FWT '06. Haven't messed with an '06 in quite a while and had the bug.

No pre64's at the show, but there was a M70 '06 made in 1964. It was priced "right" so, on a whim, I took it home.

Yes, it's ugly, you could file papers in the gap between the barrel and the stock, and it felt clumsy.

Anyway, I had some old 150gr Sierra's on the shelf and some 4064. The dang thing is a tack driver. And it drops deer quite nicely.

The problem is now I'm starting to really like the rifle. It no longer feels clumsy to me, and I am even beginning to think it looks nice!! confused

I think I may need counselling....
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: I may need help - 01/27/16
Functionally there's nothing wrong with post 64 rifles. I personally believe they are a superior design to a Remington 700 when it comes to push feed actions.

I think early post 64's in 225 Winchester are pretty collectable because they are so accurate.

you get a chance post a few pics we could maybe start a thread of the evolution of the post 64 in pics.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: I may need help - 01/27/16
Originally Posted by southtexas
A while back I went to a gun show looking for a shooter p64 FWT '06. Haven't messed with an '06 in quite a while and had the bug.

No pre64's at the show, but there was a M70 '06 made in 1964. It was priced "right" so, on a whim, I took it home.

Yes, it's ugly, you could file papers in the gap between the barrel and the stock, and it felt clumsy.

Anyway, I had some old 150gr Sierra's on the shelf and some 4064. The dang thing is a tack driver. And it drops deer quite nicely.

The problem is now I'm starting to really like the rifle. It no longer feels clumsy to me, and I am even beginning to think it looks nice!! confused

I think I may need counselling....

A buddy of mine has one that was made in 1964 and you just described his to a T... His is a tack driver too... The first time I saw the gap in between the barrel and stock, I said damn and he said it has a generous freefloat doesn't it??? laugh
Posted By: southtexas Re: I may need help - 01/27/16
Oh gosh. There is a thread over in the Hunting Rifle section where they are actually denigrating my 1964 M70 (imagine that!).

I think I'm getting my feelers hurt! grin
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: I may need help - 01/28/16
Screw those other guys in the hunting rifle forum. Some of them don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground...
Posted By: southtexas Re: I may need help - 01/28/16
Good idea. And I can always just wear a sack over my head when I take it hunting!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: I may need help - 01/29/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Screw those other guys in the hunting rifle forum. Some of them don't know their azzes from a hole in the ground...

Anything that isn't brandy new and $4-5K is a POS.
Posted By: Mannyrock Re: I may need help - 01/31/16
Does your rifle have the plastic insert in the grip cap that bears a red "W"? If so, my God, how can you possibly stand the look of it?

My friend bought one made in 1965 in excellent condition. After firing 6 boxes of 30-06 shells through it, the walnut stock cracked right behind the rear receiver screw and split all the way to the rear of the grip.

After he paid to put a replacement stock on it, he shot it a few more times, and the bolt shroud on the rear of the bolt fell off. Turns out, it was only held on with a cross pin, that was peened. He had to get a new cross pin and have a gunsmith peen and fit it to get the shroud back on.

After that, disgusted that he had spent over $150 on a rifle that he had only paid $200 for, he got rid of it.

Before getting rid of it, he pried the plastic fitting off of the grip cap, to get rid of the red "W", and replaced the flat head screw holding the aluminum grip cap on with a blued round headed screw. It was the only way he could get someone to buy the darned thing from him.

Mannyrock
Posted By: southtexas Re: I may need help - 01/31/16
Sorry about your friends problems. Yes, the red "W" is there. Kinda adds to the ugly. As long as she shoots the way she has been, it don't bother me at all. But I promise not to take the rifle out in the daylight, if it makes you feel better. 😀
Posted By: Mannyrock Re: I may need help - 01/31/16
What is the most interesting to me is that back in 1964, the wiz-kids at Winchester actually thought that that red plastic "W" made the rifle look snazzy!
Posted By: southtexas Re: I may need help - 01/31/16
No accounting for taste.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: I may need help - 01/31/16
Originally Posted by Mannyrock
What is the most interesting to me is that back in 1964, the wiz-kids at Winchester actually thought that that red plastic "W" made the rifle look snazzy!

Those guys were idiots back then. It took them 16-17 years to bring the fwt back too. That should tell you guys something...
© 24hourcampfire