Home
I have a 1960 Model 70 in 264 Mag that my Grandfather gave me. The gun has a 26“ barrel. I am guessing it is a Westerner??

Is this an original stock? Did they come stock with a white line pad?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The stock on the rifle in the picture is not an original stock. Nothing about it looks like an original stock, wrong shape, wrong checkering pattern, grip cap with whiteline spacer. It is an aftermarket replacement stock.
Looks like a vintage (1960's) Bishop stock.
Not an original stock. Generally, anything with a pad is considered cut, with the exception of magnums, not counting .264. None had pachmayr pads.
None had a white line grip cap, and the checkering pattern is different.
Nice hunting rifle, though.
You can find original stocks on E-bay. If you go that route, be sure and get the correct era.
You want the one with the smaller checkered panels.
Thanks guys, the gun is very nice condition. I would like to place it in a correct stock. I guess I need to do some looking at pictures to see the correct style stock.

Is the model a Westerner?
Yes, Standard Rifles, with a 26" barrel, in either .264 wm or 300 wm are "Westerners"
Thanks!
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj
Thanks guys, the gun is very nice condition. I would like to place it in a correct stock. I guess I need to do some looking at pictures to see the correct style stock.

The correct style stock would be a Mcmillan hunters compact. Should fit on there nicely. I like the brown painted ones with red pad.... wink . Actually, I think the stock that is on that rifle looks great. I'd probably leave it just the way it is.. and hunt the hell out of it...
Cove..... check your PM's.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by covejeepsxj

The correct style stock would be a Mcmillan hunters compact. Should fit on there nicely. I like the brown painted ones with red pad.... wink . Actually, I think the stock that is on that rifle looks great. I'd probably leave it just the way it is.. and hunt the hell out of it...

bsa, You are right! It would be quite tasty in a McMillan! I am going to try to find a period correct scope for on it and some better rings and start to carry it.
© 24hourcampfire