Home
Where do you guys like to buy Winchesters the most? Gun broker, Guns International or forums like ours or the Fire ? very best winpoor
I've had good luck with all of them actually. Gunbroker is kinda nice since you can check feedback on the seller.
+1 on handwerk's post, no complaints buying from all three sources mentioned. S&W Forum has a classified section, lotsa good guys to deal with when buying handguns. Rimfirecentral for buying rimfires and CMP Forum for military and surplus.
I have bought a couple and sold one here. I'm not a fan of Gun broker I do like Guns International. I have had good luck with a couple of dealers as well.

I just put a Colt diamondback on the F/S forum here, we will see how that goes.
Wherever I find the gun I want at the price I like. I'm not fussy about it.
Winchesterpoor: I no longer even try to buy "collector arms" via the inter-net.
Never really had a "good" experience with this venue in the past.
I travel a lot to view "collector arms" and it seems I am NEVER dis-satisfied with my face to face purchases whereas the collector arms I have tried to buy via the inter-net always seemed to end up in the "dis-satisfaction" category.
Frequently they mandated sending the arm in question back to the often times blatantly dishonest seller!
I bought a collector arm last Friday (face to face) in fact, and I ended up being 100% satisfied with the gun and 100% satisfied with the price I paid for it.
Nowadays I view purchases that mandate 4473 restrictions in a dim and unfavorable light anymore as well.
Gunbroker and Guns International BOTH fall into my "no more business via them" category.
In today's political climate of liberals and anti-American politicians that are running amok, I would again, MUCH rather deal face to face with other law abiding, traditional valued Americans.
And very best to you as well Winpoor.
And good luck to you if you decide to use Gunbroker or Guns International!
I won't even go into the number of times I have been approached to partake of "false bidding", "run-ups" and other scams related to sales on Gunbroker.
My advice stay away from these venues or stay with PERSONALLY KNOWN sellers ONLY!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: pal Re: Question for Winchester buyers - 02/03/16
Found my pre-'64 FWT at LGS--$700.

[Linked Image]
1st choice is wherever I can personally look at the Winchester - LGS, gun show, private sale. 2nd choice is from respected national dealer; not "BillyBob" in "Nowhereville" whether on GB, GA or GNsIntnl.
I have a pile of guns that I bought off the internet. I would never have gotten them any other way. There are lots of ways to check if the seller is any good, the best is to talk to him personally on the phone.

If you aren't sure, PM me and I can let you know how well it really does work...
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Wherever I find the gun I want at the price I like. I'm not fussy about it.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^ If it's a good deal, I could care less where it is. The best place is locally for myself. I've ran across some damn good deals and have passed on those deals to some of my fellow Winchester loons here... wink
I have built my collection from just about every source listed here. Most were very satisfactory, but some, not so much. I have keep what I want and sell the rest. I have only returned one rifle that I felt was totally misrepresented, and unfortunately, it was from this forum.

donsm70
Never bought one here. A couple off Guns international. many from collectors, people I know or from LGS.

Generally I bump into them which is the most fun..

Lookie what i found!
Posted By: PSH Re: Question for Winchester buyers - 02/04/16
I have to agree with BSA and Don both. I'll take a deal wherever I can find it. The only two misrepresented Winny's that I have ended up with via net purchases we were able to come to an agreement without sending them back, and I still have both of those rifles. The vast majority of my on line purchases however have been "as described" and I've been happy. Course a FTF deal is preferable as I don't have to wait for delivery.
I have bought and sold on gun broker , so far so good . I did make the mistake of not putting a floor price on and starting at a penny , I did not watch the auction and sold the gun at less than it was worth. I always usually let the gun sell itself after being conservative on the rating. Ive yet to send one back and do like the rating system, I understand there is nothing like looking at a Winchester first hand and or getting the real story ,history on a gun. I have several pre and post model 70's to move ,I will use gun broker and let you guys here know about them.
The internet has helped me meet many Winchester pals and as a whole the pre 64 guys are a good group of folks. very best wINpOOR
I never buy new guns anymore. I've been on a model 70 classic kick for the last 4 years or so. Lately most of the guns I've bought have come from the fire.

I'm looking to get a model 94 in 375 win next. I've got a bunch of brass and cast bullets for one, Just need the rifle to shoot them.
The LGS here are not as fruitful with Winchesters as I would like. So I supplement with Gunbroker, here, and our local website a lot like Craigslist, except they do gun adds. I've only had one bad experience on GB and it was over a take off barrel of all things. All the guns showed up as advertised. I think the the internet web sites can be fine, you just had to due your own due diligence, and if it feels wrong just let the gun go. I've had one or two go that way because I didn't feel good about the seller. I have also gotten guns off of other boards as well. Maybe I'm lucky, but all the guys have been stand up and never had a problem.
You guys need to check into some antique specific gunshows. They have one here in Portland once a year. You'll find some damn good deals on some fine old firearms. Small town gunshows are great finds as well. You get locals coming in and renting a table for $5.00 and selling off some of their collections. My smith has started selling some of his pre 64's. He's getting to the age now where money in the savings is better than safes full of rifles. You'll find guys cashing in their 401K's (selling their gun collections) as they get older. Once you get in with some local guys that deal in nice pre 64's, they will remember your name and you'll be the first guy they call when they decide to let some go...
I need to find something local like that. I'm no real collector but have really enjoyed the winchesters I've bought via this forum. Infact now that I think about it all my Winnie's have come from the classifieds here.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I need to find something local like that. I'm no real collector but have really enjoyed the winchesters I've bought via this forum. Infact now that I think about it all my Winnie's have come from the classifieds here.

There's a good group of guys here Matt. Good place to buy guns too.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yep ! Best forum on the fire, the few turds that show up here get flushed pretty darn fast! VB WP
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yep ! Best forum on the fire, the few turds that show up here get flushed pretty darn fast! VB WP

I'm like a cheerio, you'll never flush me down buddy..... laugh
I've bought from here, Gunbroker, and private collections. After awhile you tend to know which sellers have the good stuff. smile

Eric
Originally Posted by EricM
I've bought from here, Gunbroker, and private collections. After awhile you tend to know which sellers have the good stuff. smile

Eric

Alright, my 270 fwt and custom 338 aren't for sale. They don't shoot well enough for you guys.... You know, if guys would post a target like this one for each rifle they are trying to sell here, it might help a little:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need to fine tune my loads a little bit... sick
BSA, My problem is after I decide to 'clean house or consolidate, cut back to one gun pre calibre, and go shoot the darn things for new photos, I change my mind on selling! LMAO, I do love the black knocked out of the target! Ive only owned a few that would not give me that 99% of time with pet factory ammo! the very best WinPoor
BSA you could probably tighten up those groups if the guns were stocked with a nice piece of English or French walnut properly bedded and not that dam plastic stuff:)
BSA, what were you using, a scattergun?! lol. J/k. Nice shooting. Where did you get the MOA challenge targets? That looks like fun.

Eric
I'll buy guns anywhere I can get my hands in one for a reasonable price. Bought tons here on 24hr campfire. Place is kind of like a gold mine if you ask me.
Originally Posted by EricM
BSA, what were you using, a scattergun?! lol. J/k. Nice shooting. Where did you get the MOA challenge targets? That looks like fun.

Eric

ARFCOM..... Anyone can cherry pick targets. Try shooting 5 5 shot groups on the same paper with hunting rifles. I had to hurry that day since it was trying to get dark on me. I had to chain up to get to the range and when I got there, almost got stuck trying to turn around. I know the 30-06 I sold you can probably out shoot my 270 fwt and undoubtedly do better than my 338 win mag, but I've never developed a load for my 338. That's the load I developed for your rifle... laugh blush
Those are solid groups, BSA. All of them. I need to try it out. I'm not zeroed at 100 so I'll have to readjust. I still need to take the 338 out. blush The surf has been so good here lately all my spare time has been spent in the water.

Eric
Damn Eric... That's too nice of a rifle to just let it sit there... If you don't want to use it, I'll buy it back... laugh whistle
Not a chance, BSA!!! laugh

I'm going to set some time aside and run it through the laps. You should see the stack of ammo I have. smile

Eric
laugh. That's cool Eric. Can't wait to see how you like shooting the ol girl.
Im going to answer my own question here, I posted several guns on the fire, lot of interest but no cigars, I put 5 on GB as I had a history there ( Cattle Buyer) 3 heavy hitters were gone in less than 24 hrs! Im cleaning my guest bed room out! the very best winpoor
Well I have one listed here as well, giving the guys a chance. I am not ready to list it on Gun Broker just yet because then you are tied down to taking other offers.

I may soon list it on Guns Intenational.

That said I buy my collectible guns (old guns and young women are where it is at, LOl) from a vaiety of sources.

Guns International is a solid outfit.

Gun Broker has some deals but a lot of junk is on there, i.e. 100% original with extra holes, pad, etc, and the like.

Local Shops, Friends, and Gun Shows.
Mr sbrmike, I tend to agree, as I get older I can usually look at a write up, photos and return policy, make a phone call or message -email and tell if they are legit or full of $hit!! I got pissed with Guns America on the first gun I hit buy now on! The gun was a Van Orden, mod 70 sniper and the guy sold it before he even looked that I had hit buy now! the very best WinPoor
[Linked Image]
This is the gun I hit buy now and got Frigged out of! It was a Sat afternoon and I hit it within an hour of it listing , finally got up with the seller on Monday and he said sorry its gone! very best winpoor
I've sold more through the fire than anywhere else. I put a Colt Diamondback 22 on GI and it was gone in less than a week. I'm no fan of GB.
GSP, Every high end dealer Ive dealt with likes Guns International and most dislike GB, Prices tend to be on high end vis GI but they all seem to be willing to trade or try and come to the center I think GI is more brick and mortar oriented. I'm old fashioned I will tell a fellow what it takes and trade or pass. My old Daddy and Granddaddy were the same way, land , airplanes, cattle and guns ,just me... To me the key is knowing the market and timing. Poor timing has humbled me to the core twice, the mad Cow deal and then the ethanol fueled-feed stuffs market!
I put 4 on GB and 3 were gone in 24 hrs at the buy now!
I forgot to ask you ,what did you think if the Westminster grand champ? very best winpoor
A beautiful shorthair for sure. My one question would be does he hunt?
GSP, That was Mr Battues question, I would love to turn him loose on birds and find out! He may run up hike his leg and piss vs point.... My thinking is he is like a good looking pre 64 that shoots as good as it looks... I say its bred in em ,show dog or not... I guess we will never know.. very best winpoor
edit, I had a cousin with a fancy Brittney (sp?), Bitch was crazy as a sprayed roach till she was 3 or 4 then turned into the very best walking fence row quail dog I have ever toted a model 12 behind and shot over, we are talking wild birds we called house coveys... she worked close and would hold forever, Ive seen her look back and show her teeth, like she was asking WTF are you! The good old days!!very best
What a crock at GunBroker. I have been a member there for years. I haven't sold anything there lately but have bought regularly. Now they need a Utility Bill and a few other things to "Enhance" my profile??? What a crock!
© 24hourcampfire