Home
Posted By: BC3 M70 XTR Question - 02/11/16
I have an M70 pushfeed XTR in 270 Win. that needs a stock. It currently has a thumbhole Fajen? that needs to go. I am interested in replacing it with factory/similar style wood but there are several different styles/barrel contours shown as options and I'm not sure which one I need. How do I figure this out?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/11/16
Is it a standard or fwt? Pretty easy to figure out which one you need if you know which it is...
Posted By: BC3 Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/12/16
Okay, I'll bite. How do I know if it's a featherweight?
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by BC3
Okay, I'll bite. How do I know if it's a featherweight?
barrel contour...very short shank, plus it usually is written on the barrel
FWT not marked on barrel. Only Model 70 XTR. Barrel profile looks kind of thick to me so probably not a featherweight. Barrel length from crown to receiver mating surface 21".
The stock is a Harry Lawson, not a Fajen but it was sent to Lawson for installation so no info on the receipt.
Posted By: southtexas Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/12/16
www.winchesterguns.com

click on Model 70's and compare the barrel contours of the Featherweight and the standard. Easy to spot!
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by BC3
FWT not marked on barrel. Only Model 70 XTR. Barrel profile looks kind of thick to me so probably not a featherweight. Barrel length from crown to receiver mating surface 21".
The stock is a Harry Lawson, not a Fajen but it was sent to Lawson for installation so no info on the receipt.
It's probably a standard sporter XTR. Great guns. Load it up in a good stock and roll with it.
Thanks. I dug a little deeper and found the rifle was purchased new in 1978. The serial # starts with 140. I guess the short barrel at least suggested a featherweight. It has two piece bottom metal. I really want to return this rifle to original configuration but I haven't been able to find any pictures of what it should look like. EBay looks like a good place to pick up a stock for it but I need to figure out the barrel contour for sure so I pick up one that fits.
I have 2 other M70s with shorter barrels but they are stamped carbine so I am just a bit confused on what I have.
I did checkout the Winchester website to compare pictures of the barrel contours but to my eyes I couldn't tell the difference.
Posted By: southtexas Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/13/16
The Featherweight barrel has a very abrupt drop in diameter about a quarter inch forward of the receiver. The standard weight barrel has a gentle taper for the first 4 inches or so ahead of the receiver.

If you will PM me with an email address, I'll send you a pic. Or if you go the the Winchester site and enlarge the pictures of the FWT vs the Standard rifle, I think you will be able to see it.
Posted By: melchung Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/13/16
the barred lengthis measured by inserting a cleaning rod into the closed, unloaded rifle, marking the barrel when it stops against the bolt face and then measuring the cleaning rod. it may be a 22 inch barrel. Mel
Posted By: BC3 Re: M70 XTR Question - 02/14/16
Definitely not a featherweight. Looks like a standard sporter as suggested with a 22" barrel (thanks Mel). Now we'll see if I can find a stock for this so I can get it shooting again. Thanks for all of the help everyone.
© 24hourcampfire