Home
Has anybody mounted a leupold 2.5x8 on a model 70 using leupold DD mounts? Rifle in question is a pushfeed long action (winlite), I am suspecting I will have to stay with the talley extended base LW I currently have.
pat the standard DD's won't cut it for a 2.5-8X. You are gonna need an extension front or rear far as I know.

Maybe others know something I don't. smile
Thanks Bob, that was my fear, and I hate the look of most extensions. Talleys don't overhang the loading port (look okay actually) and I like the scope so will just live with it.
I have a Leup. 2.5x8 on my pre 64. using Conetrols. The post 64 may be a little longer bolt but I think they use the same bases.
There is not much lateral movement but it works for me.
[Linked Image]
My son has the same set-up
[Linked Image]
I have a Leupold VX3, 2.5x8 on a model 70 .375h&h in standard Talley QR bases and rings. Not much room for adjusting for and aft but It seems to work out just right for me. I also have the same setup on a .338 M70.
I've got a 2.5-8 Leupold with the Leupold DD rings on one of my M70 Classics, but with the front ring using the extension ring. It's on my .338 Win Mag, I believe. I'll try to remember to take a picture for you tonight and post it tomorrow. I've been happy with the set-up and never had any problems. It was a pain in the ass, though, since you have to buy two sets of rings to get the extension, since I don't believe you can buy a set of the DDs with the extension.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I have a Leup. 2.5x8 on my pre 64. using Conetrols. The post 64 may be a little longer bolt but I think they use the same bases.
[Linked Image]

As long as you can live with no lateral adjustment, that would work great. This has not been my experience when it comes to leupold scopes though...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

As long as you can live with no lateral adjustment, that would work great. This has not been my experience when it comes to leupold scopes though...

I can shoulder this rifle as if I'm shooting with my eyes closed with the scope on 8 power, when I open my eyes I see a full view. It's perfect for me.
Scope looks to be in the right spot for me. I love the looks of the Conetrols even if they are a pain in the butt to mount!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

I can shoulder this rifle as if I'm shooting with my eyes closed with the scope on 8 power, when I open my eyes I see a full view. It's perfect for me.

Looks great and it works great for you. Doesn't get any better than that...
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Scope looks to be in the right spot for me. I love the looks of the Conetrols even if they are a pain in the butt to mount!

They sure are sharp looking. I've seen sets of them being offered on ebay from time to time. Not too bad of prices either.
Here are a couple pics of my M70 Stainless Classic in .338 WM with the Leupold Dual Dovetails and the Leupold 2.5-8 VariXIII scope. As you can see, the front ring uses the extended ring. It certainly is not the most elegant setup, but it works very well for me and in the approximately 15+ years I've had it, it has never gone out of zero or had any problems whatsoever. That includes travel to Africa, 3 or 4 trips to Alaska, and many local elk hunts. I only did it because I could not think of a more appropriate scope for a .338 and I love the M70s, so had to find a way to make it work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Off topic,got tired of messin with different Leupies and extension bases and rings and went with an older 4X Leupie in good old Weaver's on my 7x57.Plenty of eye relief..[Linked Image] [img:center]http://[/img]
I have Leupold Dual Dovetails with the Reversible Front base. It looks great and allows easy mounting of my VX3 in 2.5-8x on my pre 64 which is the exact hole spacing as a post 64 long action.
© 24hourcampfire