Home
Posted By: donsm70 My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Here are the last three Winchesters that I have purchased;

[Linked Image]

Top is a 4 digit, 1937 Model 70 in the old 30-06. Rifle is unmolested with no holes in the rear bridge.

Middle is my "new" deer rifle. Yes is is a 270 in a 1955 Feitherweight version. I bought it locally with very good metal and a worn smooth stalk and found a McMillan to drop it into.

Bottom is definitely a keeper for me. It is a 1954 Supergrade in 257 Roberts, virtually spotless, thanks to one of our members on the Fire.

Thanks for looking.

donsm70
Posted By: Slavek Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Nice rifles though if ca. 1954 the bottom one should have stock designed for scope use.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Nice rifles Don. However, I thought you were going to tell us you were down to 3.... laugh
Posted By: balltownbob Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Originally Posted by Slavek
Nice rifles though if ca. 1954 the bottom one should have stock designed for scope use.

They were available with either style stock...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Originally Posted by balltownbob

They were available with either style stock...

Like talking to a brick wall buddy...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Those are all nice!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: My Last Three! - 04/17/16
Fantastic! Concrats.
Posted By: RGK Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice rifles Don. However, I thought you were going to tell us you were down to 3.... laugh

Roger that...I was worried.
Bob
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
I know some guys that have narrowed their collection down to 3 or 4 good usable rifles...

243 fwt

270 win fwt

30-06 fwt

338 win mag
and 375 H&H......

Well, that's 5, but who's counting.. Plus, I haven't bought that 243 yet... laugh
Posted By: Whitebird Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
I know some guys that have narrowed their collection down to 3 or 4 good usable rifles...

243 fwt

270 win fwt

30-06 fwt

338 win mag
and 375 H&H......

Well, that's 5, but who's counting.. Plus, I haven't bought that 243 yet... laugh

Might be able to get mine into 3 or 4 safes.... who knows.. who cares.
Ha ha.. That's funny Cliff... I'm narrowing mine down to excellent hunting rifles with good optics. Rifles I will use in the field. All others have been getting sent to better homes.. wink
Posted By: shrapnel Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
You need to hunt more...
Posted By: sbrmike Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
Did that Supergrade come from Roullette, PA Gun Show?
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You need to hunt more...

I don't think so.

donsm70
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Did that Supergrade come from Roullette, PA Gun Show?

No. I was fortunate enough to get it from another Campfire member.

donsm70
Those are some damn nice specimens Don. One of these days I'd like to get a first year model 70 and maybe even a model 54, just for chits and giggles.. I have a local guy here who is into collecting model 70's, he's been waving a couple real nice clean 300 magnums under my nose. Hoping I'll bite laugh. One is a super clean 300 win mag and the other a like new in the box 300 H&H. The H&H is awfully tempting..
Posted By: shrapnel Re: My Last Three! - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by donsm70
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You need to hunt more...

I don't think so.

donsm70

You may not, but BSA does, he is sending rifles to other homes...
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: My Last Three! - 04/19/16
Those are some damn nice specimens Don. One of these days I'd like to get a first year model 70 and maybe even a model 54, just for chits and giggles.. I have a local guy here who is into collecting model 70's, he's been waving a couple real nice clean 300 magnums under my nose. Hoping I'll bite laugh. One is a super clean 300 win mag and the other a like new in the box 300 H&H. The H&H is awfully tempting..

Mr BSA, You will not understand the difference in the RAP of the 300 win mag VS the push of 300 H&H.
I shot one then the other and could not understand the real reason!The pollen is killing me down here today but maybe the 2" longer barrel of the H&H played a role or the shape of the brass? My pre 64 ,300 win mag is staying and Ive moved 2 out of 4 others BUT its more from a collector standpoint, the 300 win mag is a kicking SOB! Period and Im not recoil adverse come the real shot vs paper. the very best winpoor
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Mr BSA, You will not understand the difference in the RAP of the 300 win mag VS the push of 300 H&H.
I shot one then the other and could not understand the real reason!The pollen is killing me down here today but maybe the 2" longer barrel of the H&H played a role or the shape of the brass? My pre 64 ,300 win mag is staying and Ive moved 2 out of 4 others BUT its more from a collector standpoint, the 300 win mag is a kicking SOB! Period and Im not recoil adverse come the real shot vs paper. the very best winpoor

I've shot the 300 H&H in a sweet azzed pre 64 model 70, so I am well aware of how the 300 win mag wants to tear your head off and make your arm and hand go numb while the 300 H&H feels more like a gentle nudge. It reminds me a lot of the 300 WSM in recoil pulse. The 300 win mag does not. The 300 win mag reminds me of a big bully that wants to pound the living chit out of you. Is that kind of what you were getting at???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slavek Re: My Last Three! - 04/19/16
I strongly suspect if one loads cartridges to same performance level and use rifles of same specs the recoil will be identical. Anyhow the .300 WinMag is far better choice. "Weaklings" can even buy "Reduced Recoil" loads if they want to. If one lives in wonderful place like USA and has enough cash they can have Superior Ammunition "roll" their cartridges can any reasonable level they desire.
Posted By: 79S Re: My Last Three! - 04/20/16
I strongly suspect if one loads cartridges to same performance level and use rifles of same specs the recoil will be identical. Anyhow the .300 WinMag is far better choice. "Weaklings" can even buy "Reduced Recoil" loads if they want to. If one lives in wonderful place like USA and has enough cash they can have Superior Ammunition "roll" their cartridges can any reasonable level they desire.

Lol wtf so buy a 300win mag if you can't handle the recoil shoot reduced loads in it. Hhmmm here is an idea if you can't handle the recoil of a 300 win mag buy an 06.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by 79S

Lol wtf so buy a 300win mag if you can't handle the recoil shoot reduced loads in it. Hhmmm here is an idea if you can't handle the recoil of a 300 win mag buy an 06.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DGF Re: My Last Three! - 04/24/16
donsm70;
Nice rifles. I have a four digit model 70; 30-06, no holes in rear bridge either; about 90% or better.Could you give me a ballpark figure of the retail value? It's all original.
thanks, Doug
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/24/16
Sending a PM.

donsm70
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/24/16
Doug,

Sounds a lot like mine.

I acquired mine as part of a trade deal, but I would put the retail value at approx. $1200.00.

They may be worth more to someone looking for one, but I think the $1200 is a pretty fair number.

Don
Posted By: DGF Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
OK; thanks for your reply, Doug
Posted By: EricM Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16

243 fwt

270 win fwt

30-06 fwt

338 win mag
and 375 H&H......

That's a good list!!!

My three are: 270 std, 30-06 std, 338 win mag. I may still have room for a 270 fwt in the stable. smile

Eric
Posted By: EricM Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
Originally Posted by donsm70
Here are the last three Winchesters that I have purchased;

[Linked Image]

Top is a 4 digit, 1937 Model 70 in the old 30-06. Rifle is unmolested with no holes in the rear bridge.

Middle is my "new" deer rifle. Yes is is a 270 in a 1955 Feitherweight version. I bought it locally with very good metal and a worn smooth stalk and found a McMillan to drop it into.

Bottom is definitely a keeper for me. It is a 1954 Supergrade in 257 Roberts, virtually spotless, thanks to one of our members on the Fire.

Thanks for looking.

donsm70

Great pieces!!! Wow!!! shocked
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
These are my last three.....so far:) M70 257R unfired, another Roberts and a M71 Deluxe.
Posted By: Slavek Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
I shot one then the other and could not understand the real reason!The pollen is killing me down here today but maybe the 2" longer barrel of the H&H played a role or the shape of the brass? My pre 64 ,300 win mag is staying and Ive moved 2 out of 4 others BUT its more from a collector standpoint, the 300 win mag is a kicking SOB! Period and Im not recoil adverse come the real shot vs paper. the very best winpoor [/quote]

High quality bench assembled rifles have stocks designed to minimize felt recoil. Here is nice Mauser actioned rifle from Johann....

There is little premium for names associated with this rifle...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
Very nice Donsm70, especially that SG Roberts. smile

Last three for me have been:

1914 year model '07 Winchester in 351 SL.................laugh
A late 90's New Haven M-70 300 Rum in a plastic stock.
And a 1949 year model 22 Hornet M-70 supergrade.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
Hey Gunner,

Do you have any pictures of the Hornet Supergrade?

Would love to see that.

donsm70
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 04/25/16
There's some on here somewhere Buddy, I think Elk posted some awhile back, it's laying in the grass beside my old SG 300 H&H.

I'll go see if I can bump em up to the top.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/26/16
Here's how my last 3 will look:

243 fwt

?

?

Hmmmmm.... I'll get back to you on this one.... whistle blush
Posted By: Odessa Re: My Last Three! - 04/27/16
They're all nice Don, but I sure like the SuperGrade!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
There's some on here somewhere Buddy, I think Elk posted some awhile back, it's laying in the grass beside my old SG 300 H&H.

I'll go see if I can bump em up to the top.

Here you go Gunner.

[Linked Image]

The Hornet is on the right,correct?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16
Thanks Elk, and yes, the little Hornet is on the right, the 300 H&H on the left is back to wearing it's old Lyman receiver peep and zeroed with 220 gr Partitions, it'll go to 200+ real easy with a good rest in the field. grin

243 fwt

?

?

Dang BSA, get them damn blanks filled, K? laugh
Posted By: BobinNH Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16
I always liked this pair..... smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: donsm70 Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16
Me too!

donsm70
wink
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16
Thanks Elk, and yes, the little Hornet is on the right, the 300 H&H on the left is back to wearing it's old Lyman receiver peep and zeroed with 220 gr Partitions, it'll go to 200+ real easy with a good rest in the field. grin
You're welcome Gunner. wink
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

Very nice Bob, custom stocked standard and FW rifles?
Gunner: Thanks!

Standard 264 Win Mag Super Grade on left.

Custom Len Brownell 7 Rem Mag on the right. smile

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 04/28/16

243 fwt

?

?

Dang BSA, get them damn blanks filled, K? laugh

laugh
Posted By: beretzs Re: My Last Three! - 04/29/16
Man that 264 is one nice rifle Bob... As is your 7..

OP, very nice trio of rifles! Congrats!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: My Last Three! - 04/29/16
Thanks Scotty!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 05/01/16
Gunner: Thanks!

Standard 264 Win Mag Super Grade on left.

Custom Len Brownell 7 Rem Mag on the right. smile

Congrats on a fine pair Bob, I have a couple like that, they don't wear slings either, I never put them down in the woods, cept on a clean bed of leaves after a kill. grin
Posted By: BobinNH Re: My Last Three! - 05/01/16
Gunner I hear you!

I really don't like feeling that way but have to admit the synthetic stocked rifles have edged them out for hunting.... smile
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Last Three! - 05/02/16
Gunner your SG Hornet is wonderful. have my eye out or one but they don't surface very often. I have two std's and a carbine so the SG would complete the family group.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 05/03/16
Gunner I hear you!

I really don't like feeling that way but have to admit the synthetic stocked rifles have edged them out for hunting.... smile

Correct Bob, when going rain/sleet/hail/snow or shine the syn'
s are the 4X4 with full lockers and a winch when it comes to filling a meat tag come hell or high water.

But, OH DAMN!, for the pretty days when you can hunt with the beautiful girls. grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Last Three! - 05/03/16
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Gunner your SG Hornet is wonderful. have my eye out or one but they don't surface very often. I have two std's and a carbine so the SG would complete the family group.

Thanks GSP, it fires the little 45 gr TSX bullet at 2900 fps too, it's a mean little sting. grin

Nice trio you have so far to boot, seems I have some catching up to do.
Posted By: raybass Re: My Last Three! - 05/09/16

[Linked Image]

Nice Bob! I like those. When it comes to the 300 mags I'll skip it and go bigger. 338 or 375 laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 05/09/16
Originally Posted by raybass

[Linked Image]

Nice Bob! I like those. When it comes to the 300 mags I'll skip it and go bigger. 338 or 375 laugh

cool I hear that. I feel the same way.. Nice to see you post again buddy!! Hope all has been well.
Posted By: raybass Re: My Last Three! - 05/09/16
Its all been good BSA, I still drop in and check on you fellas. Things have settled down a bit so getting back to my old habits. grin
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: My Last Three! - 05/10/16
Old habits are hard to break buddy.... laugh
© 24hourcampfire