Home
Thought I would post this while waiting a couple hours for Jack First to open for a phone call. Friend brought by a '39' Model 70 with a broken safety lever/lock.Searching online it appears this is the proverbial hen`s tooth and wondered if anyone here might have a suggestion as to other sources or of a conversion that could be done. The rifle is a hunter having been drilled so am not concerned about collector status.
Joe
Maybe Jim Wisner might be able help....he is on AR.
Luck of the Irish today. The only one Jack had is on the way from SD. Think I will go buy a PowerBall ticket tonight.

Joe
I was kind of put out with the backwards function of my pre war safety. A pretty good local smith advised that the commercial models available would fit right on. After thinking on it, I decided to leave well enough alone.

Jack
I cant give you specifics as to how to fix your friends rifle, but I believe prewar's can be converted with a post war safety.

my '37 has a old aftermarket Tilden lever safty that works like a post war.

One of the wiser more knowledgable veteran members here like BobinNH or Shrapnel will probably know more details.
Interesting. The lever from Jack First came in and will work fine.Am thankful that my friend kept track of the spring and plunger and the pin that holds the lever in position. I say "interesting" because I have a '37' 7xxx serial # and had never given much thought to the safety until now.It is not the same as the one for the '39'and am thinking it must be the Tilden conversion described above . Works like a postwar. From what I can see the installation looks to have required the milling off of the the wall/stop on the original bolt end or replacement with another. It is such a good job with no trace of the pin hole or original stamping I tend to think it was replaced as a unit with the lever.Anybody know ? Yes,as mentioned above the '39' safety that came in is a backward safety and to me is awkward also. I am thankful that my '37' was converted but am sure my bud will be happy to have his working again regardless.
Appreciate the input from everyone.
Joe
Actually, there are three different configuration safety levers. Type 1 or Pre-War (1936-1947) which I have seen referred to as the 'flag' safety lever, Type 2 or Transition (1947-1948) have seen this one referred to as the 'clamshell' lever safety and Type 3 or Latter Era (1948-1963). As with some other M70 parts, there may be some overlap in the dates these safety levers were installed at the factory....
I always thought the transition safety was cool looking.

Originally Posted by Poconojack
Actually, there are three different configuration safety levers. Type 1 or Pre-War (1936-1947) which I have seen referred to as the 'flag' safety lever, Type 2 or Transition (1947-1948) have seen this one referred to as the 'clamshell' lever safety and Type 3 or Latter Era (1948-1963). As with some other M70 parts, there may be some overlap in the dates these safety levers were installed at the factory....
Few photos of both of them. The scope on the '37' is a Zeiss Zeiklein with Lee dot in a Noske side mount. When I got the rifle I shot 3 rounds at 100yds that could be covered with a quarter.Have never messed with it and taken several deer over past 20 years.

'37' with the conversion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'39' with original. Note last photo with the wall/stop that would've had to be milled off for a side lever.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Check with Ed Lapoure in Bremerton WA...he manufactures some pre 64 parts..I Bought a compleat firing pin and safety set up to convert a model 54 to mod 70..he makes nice parts...
© 24hourcampfire