Home
Posted By: Rusky Model 70 stainless old offerings - 06/08/16
What's the difference between the classic stainless and the Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS. I'm looking for a 338 classic stainless without the boss.
I've never seen a "boss" on a classic. What is this "boss" you speak of?????
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The "boss" was on many classics.
Originally Posted by Rusky
What's the difference between the classic stainless and the Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS. I'm looking for a 338 classic stainless without the boss.

Classic stainless made at the new haven plant with old style trigger
Ultimate shadow ss has Moa trigger and made in Portugal if you are lucky you find one made at the South Carolina fn plant.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Rusky

Ultimate shadow ss has Moa trigger and made in Portugal if you are lucky you find one made at the South Carolina fn plant.

Thanks
You can always buy one with a boss and have it cut off and recrowned. Should leave you with a 23" barrel.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Oh, the Boss. I was thinking sight boss... Ha ha..
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Oh, the Boss. I was thinking sight boss... Ha ha..

You are losing it bro! 😁
Ha ha... Yep. I think you are right. Just never messed with a boss. They always seemed weird to me.. But hey, some guys like 270's too.... laugh
Ha ha... Yep. I think you are right. Just never messed with a boss. They always seemed weird to me.. But hey, some guys like 270's too.... laugh

I have a 5 digit sm Classic in a 338 with boss system I haven't shot it but from what I gather you shoot it and move the boss until the groups tighten if you go the wrong way you wasted ammo but here's the thing the instructions don't tell you which way to go first. I'm guessing I'm overthinking it ..
Originally Posted by 79S

I have a 5 digit sm Classic in a 338 with boss system I haven't shot it but from what I gather you shoot it and move the boss until the groups tighten if you go the wrong way you wasted ammo but here's the thing the instructions don't tell you which way to go first. I'm guessing I'm overthinking it ..

Winchester at one time listed suggested starting points with the BOSS for common factory loads. Maybe Browning still does.

I always wanted to try the BOSS system until I found out that they needed to be cleaned more often than I wanted to if they were to continue to work. Then I figured out that I could tune barrel harmonics by adjusting the ogive to rifling distance in my handloads and achieve the same thing without the goiter on the end of my barrel.

They are loud. I usually help with my gun club's annual sight-in days. We have covered ranges. I leave the area when I see one approach. They will knock dust off the overhead beams when fired.

The hubris never fails to amaze....
Originally Posted by 79S

Actually, the Ultimate Shadow SS with the original (non MOA) trigger was originally made in NH right before the plant closed. They're out there, but not as common as the current.
© 24hourcampfire