Home
Posted By: patbrennan H&H built actions - 06/18/16
Any significant issues with converting an action originally built for a 300H&H to a standard mag cartridge, or a 375 H&H? I am thinking there should be no issues going to 375, perhaps some mods necessary for proper feeding going to a std mag cartridge.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
The 300 and 375H&H had the same exact receiver and components, except for barrel (of course) and stock. There were different barrel contours for the 375H&H over the years and it also didn't have the sight boss. Well, they only made 10 with sight bosses, but it's likely you'll never see one of those in person. I like what the H&H receiver brings to the table, especially with my 338 win mag built on one. My 338 also feeds excellent: Smooth and effortless like it should, with absolutely no glitches of any kind. Let us know what you have in mind and some of the more knowledgeable guys can probably help.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
I may have a line on a 300 H&H that has been refinished, sights removed,stock refinished, etc. If it did not shoot well I'd look to rebarrel it, probably either to another 300 H&H or some 7 Mag. I have no practical use for a 375 but it would be a heck of a great base for one and it would be a nice moose rifle in grizzly country!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I may have a line on a 300 H&H that has been refinished, sights removed,stock refinished, etc. If it did not shoot well I'd look to rebarrel it, probably either to another 300 H&H or some 7 Mag. I have no practical use for a 375 but it would be a heck of a great base for one and it would be a nice moose rifle in grizzly country!

I like the way you think. Just a little tidbit on the H&H receiver. I've seen original receivers with original bluing sell for $1,000.00+. The most I've seen one sell for was $1,075.00. That was a complete receiver with bolt, trigger, bottom metal etc. You'll easily be able to find a good original 300 H&H barrel if you know the right people, but good luck finding an original 375 barrel and be warned that when you do find one, it will probably be re-chambered to 375 wby or 375 H&H AI. An original barrel with original sights will most likely cost around $1,000.00 with installation. However, you could always have a custom tube put on for less money. Your idea of turning it into a 375 H&H is perfectly acceptable and a great idea if you ever plan on going to Africa. If just sticking around NA, a good ol 300 H&H or 338 win mag is all you need for the big critters.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
I've used pre 64 M70 300 H&H action to build custom rifles in 300 Weatherby, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag,358 STA,and (of course), 375 H&H.

No problems with function at all,and the longer box can be used for more flexible bullet seating with the shorter mags like 300 WM or 7mm RM.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
I'd most likely go with a 7 mag if I had to rebarrel it as it would get a lot more hunting time as a 7 mag than anything much bigger.
Posted By: aguyinAK Re: H&H built actions - 06/18/16
If you get the gun make sure to check it over really well. 99.9% of the time your just fine, but every once in a while you run into a big problem. I bought a long action not too long ago and checked it over figured it was fine. Found a good barrel and dang if it didn't headspace without any smith work. However when my smith checked the head space he noticed something wierd on the back of the lugs. Turned out someone had ground on them wierd and they were only bearing right at the bolt body. You can imagine how bummed I was. Anyway all the ideas here are great, you have lots of options have some fun. Good luck
Posted By: BobinNH Re: H&H built actions - 06/20/16
guy brings up a good point. With pre 64's the entire actions were heat treated,so there may be some warping. They were set up to work with the factory tubes but when changing barrels sometimes only one lug will bear so they have to be ground for full lug contact, and other smithing tricks they use putting barrels on.

I've run into this when dropping a new barrel onto not only magnum but standard actions as well. Problem is if you do this your old original barrel might not fit anymore so be prepaid for that possibility.

Im commenting not as a smith but as a customer who has had to pay for the work.

None of this would stop me from using an action though LOL! smile
Posted By: patbrennan Re: H&H built actions - 06/21/16
Someone else wanted the rifle more than me so I'll continue to keep an eye out. 300H&H are pretty common up here but being common doesn't mean they are cheap!
Posted By: Slavek Re: H&H built actions - 06/25/16
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Any significant issues with converting an action originally built for a 300H&H to a standard mag cartridge, or a 375 H&H? I am thinking there should be no issues going to 375, perhaps some mods necessary for proper feeding going to a std mag cartridge.

Not worth bothering with. Here is a wonderful alternative>>> Modified commercial Mauser from Herstal Belgium in 9,5x73mm...

I don't see any oxidation spots on or adjacent to cross bolts, therefore, it looks like it is good to go. Excellent alternative to pre-64 .375H&H.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: H&H built actions - 06/26/16
Nice old Browning there, but, it's a push feed and NOT on par with any pre-64 model 70.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: H&H built actions - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice old Browning there, but, it's a push feed and NOT on par with any pre-64 model 70.
sick

Good point Gunner.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
sick

Good point Gunner.

lol, I've got an old 1962 year model safari grade long extractor 458 WM that will shuck and jive wit the best of em. grin
Gunner, I've heard that they were pushfeeds after about 1965. They then went to a sako type extractor? Is yours pushfeed as well or by long extractor you mean CRF?
Yea BSA, mines a fully, controlled round feed claw extractor just like the pre-64's, just a euro FN version of same.

500 gr Woodleigh protected point weldcores backed by the 450 gr BBW-#13 solids at 2180 and 2230 fps respectively should get it all done. smile
Oh BTW, think most of the Sako extractor guns were made for 222 rem and the like.
Yea BSA, mines a fully, controlled round feed claw extractor just like the pre-64's, just a euro FN version of same.

500 gr Woodleigh protected point weldcores backed by the 450 gr BBW-#13 solids at 2180 and 2230 fps respectively should get it all done. smile

laugh cool
Ain't nary need in throwin marshmallows at em, eh BSA? laugh
Ha ha.. Not nary a reason to do that my friend.. Just plow them to death with a big heavy freight train of a lead pill... laugh
Yes, and aint it gonna be a sad day when we have to sell our heavies due to decrepit-ness? cry blush
Yes, that is going to suck. I already sold my cool old 71 because of my aging eyes. cry. I dread the day when I have to get rid of my 375 H&H because I'm getting too old to handle the recoil.. sick
LOL, your old 71 is in damn good hands here for a long while, I luckily still somehow have 20/20 vision and have a deer killing cousin that's about 15 years old now, I'll hand that rifle down to him with your blessing Lawrence.

That old girl will still be killing game long after you and i are dirt Buddy. grin
Sounds good to me buddy. Everything except for us pushing up daisy's... laugh
OOPS. grin
Posted By: Slavek Re: H&H built actions - 06/26/16
If you hung up on controlled feed/extraction with metal blade ejector I would suggest old Husqvarna sporter in cal. 9,3x62mm. It is only about 20% less powerful than the 9,5x73. Anyhow theses old HVAs can be had for kool $600 even if in very good original condition. Word of warning unlike CZ550 Mannlicher in said caliber they're light so they will kick the [bleep] out of you when the trigger is pulled.
Originally Posted by Slavek
If you hung up on controlled feed/extraction with metal blade ejector I would suggest old Husqvarna sporter in cal. 9,3x62mm. It is only about 20% less powerful than the 9,5x73. Anyhow theses old HVAs can be had for kool $600 even if in very good original condition. Word of warning unlike CZ550 Mannlicher in said caliber they're light so they will kick the [bleep] out of you when the trigger is pulled.

That's about the best advice you've given here in a long time.... laugh
Posted By: rembo Re: H&H built actions - 06/30/16
No issues at all.
I'm currently rebarreling a Pre War 300 H&H action to 257 Weatherby.
The M70 magnum box is still shorter than a long action Rem 700 box.
Posted By: Golfswithwolves Re: H&H built actions - 07/01/16
My own .375 H&H is built on a 300 H&H action. Somebody had already converted the rifle to 300 Weatherby so I saw no harm in having it re-barreled and fancied up a bit. I retained the original stock which although not spectacular in appearance does have a strong straight grain. Bill Dixon of Blackhawk, South Dakota did the work.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: H&H built actions - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by Golfswithwolves
My own .375 H&H is built on a 300 H&H action. Somebody had already converted the rifle to 300 Weatherby so I saw no harm in having it re-barreled and fancied up a bit. I retained the original stock which although not spectacular in appearance does have a strong straight grain. Bill Dixon of Blackhawk, South Dakota did the work.

The 300H&H and 375H&H have the same exact action/receiver...
Posted By: beretzs Re: H&H built actions - 07/08/16
So, what you all are saying is a P64 is never a bad idea grin
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: H&H built actions - 07/10/16
Scotty, I think the diamond in the rough is your 300 WBY.. wink You could also turn that baby back in to a 300 H&H. If you are ever back down in this area, you should get with my smith. He's had some damn near new 300 H&H barrels just laying around collecting dust. He says the ones that are a biotch to find are the 375 barrels that haven't been AI'd or WBY'd... That's why the 375 H&H barrels bring a big premium. If any of you run across one (especially one with all original sights) for a good price, you better snag it because they are worth quite a bit...
© 24hourcampfire