Home
Posted By: rjcsmith Model 71 value? - 06/24/16
this I'm sure to regret but.....I have a 1956-57 model 71, standard grade rifle I'd like to sell. All original, no holes. I place the overall condition at 90%. Blue is very nice. The wood finish has some marks/wear. The gun has the original rifle sights and hood and I have a Lyman 56A that goes with. Also I have 450 pcs of new unprimed brass, 750 Hornady bullets, dies etc. So what's a fair package price?
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Model 71 value? - 06/24/16
12-1500
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Model 71 value? - 06/24/16
I suspect that is low, given all the brass and bullets.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 06/24/16
Yes, that is low considering package price. I'd be looking to get about $1950 and no that's not the year I'm talking about.... However, I think you'd have better luck selling the rifle by itself. Offer the brass and bullets and die set to the buyer. If he or she doesn't want it, sell it separately and try to get about $1400.00 out of the rifle by itself. That would be a pretty fair (almost too fair) price.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Model 71 value? - 06/24/16
Pictures would help, but I would look for $1500.00 for the rifle alone.

donsm70
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
I loved the good old days, of course, when you bought a gun, the seller threw everything in. "Here take these too" Of course that was when a live box of 348 was $10.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
i agree to sell separate. the brass is at least a buck a piece. bullets are probably close to that as well. dies 50-60 bucks, lyman is 150 or more and the gun is a deal at 1500.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
I recently bought a mint deluxe for $2500 but I admit to that being a great deal. I'd be interested I the sight if you decide to sell separately.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
A mint deluxe for $2500 is a great deal indeed. I paid almost a third more. I never seem to find those deals!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
Originally Posted by rem141r
i agree to sell separate. the brass is at least a buck a piece. bullets are probably close to that as well. dies 50-60 bucks, lyman is 150 or more and the gun is a deal at 1500.

Hmmm. Probably a little off on bullet cost, but close on the other stuff. Here's how I price it if separating it. Keeping in mind the OP wants "fair price"s:

Rifle: $1,400.00

Brass: $475.00
Bullets: $265.00 (based on average cost of Hornady .348 bullets)
Lyman 56A: $200.00
Dies: $45.00 (based on the very vague description)

Posted By: RGK Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
I had a 1937 '71 in 90%+ condition with a factory bolt peep for sale awhile back for $1800. No takers. Guess I was asking too much.
Bob
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Model 71 value? - 06/25/16
I thought long and hard about your rifle Mr RGK. Very nice and particularly well photographed too. For me, it was priced a bit out of reach. As we hear all the time...they're worth what somebody is willing to pay for them. I can't imagine that the OP's gun wouldn't bring at least $1500.
Posted By: RGK Re: Model 71 value? - 06/26/16
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I thought long and hard about your rifle Mr RGK. Very nice and particularly well photographed too. For me, it was priced a bit out of reach. As we hear all the time...they're worth what somebody is willing to pay for them. I can't imagine that the OP's gun wouldn't bring at least $1500.

Roger that; I put mine back up for $1700.00. Let's see what happens...
Bob
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 06/27/16
The market seems to be a little weak on them right now. That's why I said $1,400.00. I actually paid $900.00 for my long tang '37 deluxe (with original factory peep) a few years ago, but those deals don't come along every day.. I passed on the good deal when I sold it here to a buddy. Yes I made a profit, but in tern, he also got a great deal. I actually had it listed on gunbroker and had 20 people watching it when someone from here saw it and said they would take it for x amount. We agreed to terms and I pulled it from gunbroker. My buddy also bought one (short tang standard rifle) about 6 years ago here locally and paid $500.00 for it. I believe it was made in '55, but a damn nice rifle. Of course, it was drilled on the side of the receiver for a scope mount and the value went in the chitter. But still a damn good deal on that rifle.
Posted By: rjcsmith Re: Model 71 value? - 06/27/16
Thank you all for the input. I'll adjust my price in the local paper and see if that interests anyone. I could live with something close to BSA's prices.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 06/27/16
Good luck buddy. I may have missed something, but remember anything that didn't originally come with the rifle can be sold as a separate item. It's amazing what some of those old lyman sights are selling for on ebay, if you wanted to go that route as well. I've sold sights and die sets and other rifle parts there with great success. I've also done a price check on gunbroker for your brass and like another member here said, it's worth a buck or more. Probably closer to $1.10/piece. When I sold my brass, I think I got $1.00/ea. for it. I'm never looking to screw someone, just thinking fair market value here..
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: Model 71 value? - 07/03/16
IMHO The model 71 is bit like that tall skinny blonde celebrity who is famous for being famous.

Lots of drawbacks -- but you have to look
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
IMHO The model 71 is bit like that tall skinny blonde celebrity who is famous for being famous.

You have to drool a little too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
^^^
Exactly
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
I think it's my new favorite rifle. I bought a Deluxe, long tang back in April. I can't keep my hands off of it. A bit like that skinny blond. I will definitely hunt with it in the fall. Other than finding ammo, what's the down side?
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
Heavy, no scope.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I think it's my new favorite rifle. I bought a Deluxe, long tang back in April. I can't keep my hands off of it. A bit like that skinny blond. I will definitely hunt with it in the fall. Other than finding ammo, what's the down side?

Bobmar, I was the same way with mine. It's weird how these old rifles have so much mojo and "soul" (that will piss off the naysayers). I used to take mine out to the shop with me while I was reloading, just so I could look at it and fondle it every once in a while. I think my wife was jealous of it.. laugh
Posted By: Bushmaster1313 Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
Heavy, no scope.

Limited ammo

Would hurt my shoulder
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Model 71 value? - 07/04/16
I know exactly what you mean BSA. The Levers have an appeal for me that nothing else can match. Yeah, they're heavy and you can't use a scope, but its kind of like that skinny blonde again. She can't lift much but she sure smells nice! I think the 71 was the high water mark when it comes to lever guns. I do wish ammo was more plentiful but because its not, it makes shooting that gun, all the more special.
Posted By: TheOldTree Re: Model 71 value? - 07/05/16
The .358 99 f, under a million of course, probably weighs 3 lbs. less, scope included. Kicks worse too.

I had a deluxe, no. 2573, for the longest time, bought it for 400 around 1977 with 5 boxes of shells. It was way too nice for hunting.
The one I wish I had kept was the 45-70 Ex. Lt/Wt TD,
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Model 71 value? - 07/05/16
brass and dies readily available and will load my own. I can look at my deluxe 71 anytime but can someone send a picture of the skinny blonde??:)
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by GSPfan
brass and dies readily available and will load my own. I can look at my deluxe 71 anytime but can someone send a picture of the skinny blonde??:)

[Linked Image] laugh
Posted By: tmitch Re: Model 71 value? - 07/05/16
As my FIL used to say, "that's Saturday night f-ckin', then ya got all day Sunday to pick the slivers outa your d-ck" cry
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/05/16
laugh
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Model 71 value? - 07/06/16
Yup that's one skinny blonde. I have to agree with tmitch's FIL smile I need to go hold my M71, It's got more meat on it than she does!
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Model 71 value? - 07/06/16
We're all on the same page here, but I was thinking more Christie Brinkley than Ally McBeal!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/06/16
Yup that's one skinny blonde. I have to agree with tmitch's FIL smile I need to go hold my M71, It's got more meat on it than she does!

Hey now, you said "skinny blonde"... Beggars can't be choosers.... laugh
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Model 71 value? - 07/07/16
Skinny is one thing but borderline anorexic is something else. Ive got the M71 and the new Rigby so I have something to hold smile
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/07/16
Skinny is one thing but borderline anorexic is something else. Ive got the M71 and the new Rigby so I have something to hold smile

laugh

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Model 71 value? - 07/07/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got value on this old girl, she's living happily in Oklahoma now, Thanks for the sale BSA. smile
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/07/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got value on this old girl, she's living happily in Oklahoma now, Thanks for the sale BSA. smile

I'd much rather fondle that old girl than Ally Mcbeal. I don't know what GSP's problem is... I like women with a little more meat on her bones than she has... laugh
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Model 71 value? - 07/07/16
Dang right, you wouldn't believe how fast that buck dropped last fall in the fog of that clearcut thicket BSA, iirc it was about 55 yards, that 250 gr Barnes on the point of the shoulder was extremely decisive. grin
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Model 71 value? - 07/08/16

I don't know what GSP's problem is... I like women with a little more meat on her bones than she has... laugh [/quote]

I didn't know I had a problem smile She's to skinny for me I'll keep my M71 and the Rigby and if I REALLY want to hold something long and slender there is a Parker straight grip 20ga with 32 inch tubes:)
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Model 71 value? - 07/08/16
Just messing with you buddy. I like the way you think. laugh
© 24hourcampfire