Home
Posted By: GSPfan A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
I have mentioned the build of this rifle here before and after almost a year it's done and wanted to post pics here first. It's built on a VZ24 Mauser action, stocked in a nice piece of English walnut and chambered for 275 Rigby. The gun as pictured weighs just over 8lbs but feels like 6. It will be ready for use in October for Mule Deer and Antelope in Wyoming.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][img]http://i328.photobucket.com/al...5%20Rigby/IMG_0784_zpsrvmwbooq.jpg[/img]
Posted By: tmitch Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Veeeery nice! Would be even nicer if the bolt handle and cheek piece were on the opposite side. wink
Who did the work?
Posted By: GSPfan Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
It's been a while since I posted any pictures but here are some more.[Linked Image][Linked Image][/UR[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com/user/rlanderson410/media/275%20Rigby/IMG_0790_zpsfp9gt3cp.jpg.html][Linked Image]L]
I apologize for any duplicates but its hard to remember where your at with this as it takes a while to get them on here.
The work was done by a local smith. His name and caliber are engraved the express sights but I guess didn't get a picture of that. His name s Kip Wood and he's in Mt. Pleasant MI.
The engraving was doe by JJ Roberts in Virginia.
Posted By: tmitch Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Wow, that turned out great, you must be thrilled.......I would be! Really like the case coloring, very classy.
Thanks tmitch it's a great gun. I have several rifles from the same smith and they all shoot great. I'm looking forward to working up loads for this one and the 25/06 I got earlier this year from him. those two will go to Wyoming with me in October.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Gorgeous! That will be a real pleasure to carry.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Beautiful and the screws look to be perfectly indexed....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Damn that is nice. I like the case coloring and the stock is beautiful. Thanks for sharing..
Posted By: Cougarz Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/06/16
Wow, that's really nice. I really like the color case hardening along with the engraving. Nicely done all round.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/07/16
Excellent taste and workmanship!
Posted By: Mesa Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/07/16
.275 Rigby??? Is the price in guineas?

(Just kidding--7x57 is a perfect caliber for the game you mentioned, and that is a really neat rifle. I like 'smiths who know when to stop with the "ornamentation"....that one is just right!).
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/07/16
Beautiful rifle!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/08/16
Thanks to everyone for there positive comments. IMHO it did turn out very well. Only one thing remains to be done and that's a checkered bolt. Brownell's has them on back order and I didn't want to wait. This winter I'll send the bolt out to be checkered in a 3 panel style.
Posted By: cv540 Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/08/16
Wow, from the case coloring, stock figure, stock configuration, stock checkering, and metal work, I couldn't think of one thing that would make it classier looking. One of the nicest rifles I have ever seen.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/09/16
super nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/09/16
That is very nice work! Classy as hell. Love the case coloring and the walnut and woodwork is exquisite.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/09/16
Very nice, indeed!

donsm70
Posted By: southwind Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/10/16
Well done, very beautiful rifle. Will it be hunted? Any plans? Or is this an investment piece?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/10/16
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Thanks to everyone for there positive comments. IMHO it did turn out very well. Only one thing remains to be done and that's a checkered bolt. Brownell's has them on back order and I didn't want to wait. This winter I'll send the bolt out to be checkered in a 3 panel style.

Very nice rifle!

Posted By: GSPfan Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/10/16
Southwind this will definitely get hunted. I'm working up loads now and it will go to Wyoming this fall for Deer and Antelope along with another custom in 25-06. My beloved Weatherby Ultra light in 257Wby will stay behind:(
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/25/16
WOW ! You had a real gun Doctor build that piece, elegant, classy very best WinPoor
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/26/16
That looks like it will hunt!
Posted By: southwind Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/26/16
Every time I look at this rifle it's just gets better and better. I love the choice of cartridge and the case coloring accents are beautiful. Just so well done, I'm glad you are hunting it too although I would be a little puckered carrying it. It certainly deserves to be hunted.

Again, marvelous firearm.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/26/16
Thanks Southwind. I'll be going to the range Thursday with 6 test loads using IMR4350 and H414 and 140gr Accubonds. It will be Wyoming ready for October. Someday I hope to give one of those big Kansas whitetails a try.
Posted By: southwind Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/27/16
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Thanks Southwind. I'll be going to the range Thursday with 6 test loads using IMR4350 and H414 and 140gr Accubonds. It will be Wyoming ready for October. Someday I hope to give one of those big Kansas whitetails a try.

Good luck in Wyoming, it will be next year before I get back there. If you ever head this way let me know.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/28/16
It shoots!! two loads using Sierra 140gr bullets and IMR 4350 and H414 [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Stalking Rifle - 07/28/16
Wow! Nice. Looks like you're all set, GSP.
© 24hourcampfire