Home
Posted By: Jeremy783 Winchester model 12 20 gauge - 07/09/16
Here's something for you guys!!! It's defiantly new to me but I recently purchased a Winchester model 12 20 gauge that has a ventilated rib with a 30inch!! Yes 30inch full choke barrel. I never saw a 30 inch barrel on a 20 ga model 12. I am wanting to know the rarity of these an maybe a value an possibly of how many were made. All original wood no cracks an bluing at 85-90%
love the model 12 and 20 gauge is soooo cooool!!
Are you sure that's not a Simmons rib? 30 inch barrel on a 20 is unusual but not unheard of. A factory rib on a 30 inch 20 gauge would be very rare. First, check the left side of the rib near the receiver for any markings, then make sure you've got proof marks on the receiver and on the barrel. As always pictures are very helpful.
It does have a Simmons rib on it. I kinda knew they put the rib on, but it being 30 inch barrel is what I found very interesting.
What would really be interesting, would be that 30 inch barrel choked other than full. Because Simmons put the rib on, the gun has been reblued. It's value is strictly as a shooter.
It does have a Simmons rib on it, no proof marks on the reciever I will try an get pics uploaded
If there is a Winchester proof stamp "WP" on the right side just forward of the receiver ring your rib installation was done for the factory even if done by Simmons. Simmons did factory contract vent rib work for Winchester. When a M-12 was destined to have a vent rib installed the proof mark was placed on the side of the barrel as not be covered by the vent rib.

It was always speculated among M-12 collectors Simmons Gun Specialty's had a Winchester M-12 proof mark die to strike a new "WP" proof mark when called for if a shotgun had a vent rib added aftermarket. This speculation also included having a "Pigeon Grade" die to strike the magazine tube making a field grade into a Pigeon Grade.

Doc

There are definitely some WP dies out there. I've seen a couple. The guy I saw with them is no longer in business but the tools are out there somewhere.
Updated info on this little gun. I had a guy contact me today in reguards to the gun I purchased. It seems he was interested in buying the gun but didn't commit an I got it instead. He wanted to repurchase it from me but I told him it's a keeper to me. He also told me that he had know the guy for years that previously owned it an the gun started its life with a solid rib an had Simmons put a vent rib on it. It was the same deal with the extra barrel I assume as well so this gun came out with 2 barrels both with solid ribs.
I'm sure at the time he did it, the original owner thought he was upgrading the gun. But today, the value and rarity of a 20 gauge with a 30 inch barrel and solid rib, far exceeds the value and rarity of the same gun with a Simmons rib. Especially if it were a two barrel set. Pretty much same with everyone that had a poly choke put on their gun and I did that myself. Oh well...
http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jbenningfield2211/library/
My pics of my Winchester model 12 20 gauge 30 inch full choke vent rib
Nice wood!
Needs a little waxing to really shine
© 24hourcampfire