Home
Norton's gun shop in OH has a nice one for sale. VGC. Factory recoil pad. $2K. Any questions, contact them. I stopped and seen it on way back from Columbus.
Those 338's are some of my favorites. 2K sounds like a great deal if it's in vgc...
Man, they are some SUPER hunting rifles. I love mine.
I knew you'd be along shortly... laugh You elk hunting in this neck of the woods this year??? My partner and I have to hunt first season bull this year... cry
Sorry OP, you bring up 338 win mag and you have to expect elk hunting to come up.... Just sayin.. Best damn elk cartridge ever designed...... cool
Here's a nice one. Who cares if the stock has been refinished. Looks great to me:

pre 64 model 70 338 Alaskan

I'd hunt the hell out of this one..
BSA,

I don't have my copy of Roger Rule in front of me, what year was that rifle made?
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
BSA,

I don't have my copy of Roger Rule in front of me, what year was that rifle made?

Looks like 1959.

donsm70
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I knew you'd be along shortly... laugh You elk hunting in this neck of the woods this year??? My partner and I have to hunt first season bull this year... cry

I've got a 2nd season Mt Emily tag this year, if the moons align I will be there with the 338 and 35 Newton.
Here's a nice one. Who cares if the stock has been refinished. Looks great to me:

pre 64 model 70 338 Alaskan

I'd hunt the hell out of this one..

That's a beauty to me. Love the 338. I know they aren't needed to kill elk my they do put a good thump on them.
A lot of big stuff has fallen to my 338. Some calibers just go with the game A 338 is made for Elk
My .338 WM was the most accurate M/70 I've ever owned, it shot 3 shot cloverleaf groups all day long with the old Speer 275gr. RN bullet over a healthy charge of IMR4350. Most game I took with that rifle were bang flops, those that moved at all didn't go far and they left good blood trails.
Originally Posted by donsm70
BSA,

Looks like 1959.

donsm70

Thank you
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My .338 WM was the most accurate M/70 I've ever owned, it shot 3 shot cloverleaf groups all day long with the old Speer 275gr. RN bullet over a healthy charge of IMR4350. Most game I took with that rifle were bang flops, those that moved at all didn't go far and they left good blood trails.

Now some guys and some rifles, I'd call bs, but I do believe you. I've seen some damn good shooting 338's. The pre 64 is my favorite. I'm Kind of like beretz when it comes to the mighty Alaskan...
Originally Posted by donsm70
BSA,

Looks like 1959.

donsm70

Thank you

I didn't look, but you guys need to remember you can find 338's with serial #'s as low as 1956 because they used receivers that were meant for the 458 win mag. They were all stamped .458 as well..... If you have a 338 that isn't stamped as such, I'd be awfully leery of it.
Did anybody here call and get it? Or at least try?
I called and talked to Tom about it. Already have a 375 H&H so no "real need."
A guy only needs 1 338 win mag... Actually no one really needs one at all. It is said here in the other forums that no one can possibly shoot big rifles accurately anyway. I'd look for a good 243 fwt. The best elk, moose, and brown bear cartridge ever made. whistle
A guy only needs 1 338 win mag...

Really??? I wish someone would have told me that before I bought the second one smile Actually I have several duplicate calibers for different situations don't you know
I don't have a pre-64 .338, but I've hunted the heck out of my Stainless Classic in .338. Lots of elk, a Brown Bear, caribou, and a moose. I've hunted elk with all kinds of different cartridges and rifles, but when it comes to elk, I'd always rather have the ol' .338 with me.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
A guy only needs 1 338 win mag...

Really??? I wish someone would have told me that before I bought the second one smile Actually I have several duplicate calibers for different situations don't you know

Yeah, I know how that goes. But, I don't play that game anymore. However, I'm down to 2 30-06's now. At one time I had 5, but sold them. I hang on to at least 1 m1917 because they are my favorite action.
Originally Posted by test1328
I don't have a pre-64 .338, but I've hunted the heck out of my Stainless Classic in .338. Lots of elk, a Brown Bear, caribou, and a moose. I've hunted elk with all kinds of different cartridges and rifles, but when it comes to elk, I'd always rather have the ol' .338 with me.

AMEN brother!!!!! Guys try to make believe the 243 will kill them with the same authority, but they don't know their azz from a hole in the ground. For lack of better terminology...
Got it I need a 338 to kill a moose and Brn bear
And elk
Got that right..
The .338WM settles matter pretty quickly and eliminates the need for tracking.
Especially nice when there is no snow. On the other hand, I can still see the 5x5 going down from one shot of the .308Win. at 85 yards with a 165 Acc..
© 24hourcampfire