Home
Posted By: local_dirt A walk through the trees.. - 10/21/16
All of you guys would have enjoyed my walk through the trees yesterday... at my LGS. Winchester trees, that is. Someone is selling off their collection of old Winchesters, mostly 1873 lever guns. Some in good to great shape, some not so much. Lots of brass parts, octagonal barrels, and W.C.F. was commonly scripted throughout.

There was even a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .458 Win for $1000 asking price in excellent condition, perfect bluing, and a stock with beautiful figure.

Anyone interested in details can call Kevin, the owner, at Public Gun, Hollywood, FL.

Cheers.
LD
Posted By: tcp Re: A walk through the trees.. - 10/22/16
I cannot believe that a Supergrade of any caliber would sell for $1000, much less one in .458- unless it had been terribly abused.

Were the lever guns priced as favorably? These guns have not yet made it to the stores web sight, mostly handguns there.

Thanks
is there a post 64 .458?
Originally Posted by TheOldTree
is there a post 64 .458?

Yes.
Very unlikely that a pre 458 would be priced at $1,000.00....
I looked up the serial#. It's a '77-78'.

I'll post pics when I get time.
Originally Posted by tcp
I cannot believe that a Supergrade of any caliber would sell for $1000, much less one in .458- unless it had been terribly abused.

Were the lever guns priced as favorably? These guns have not yet made it to the stores web sight, mostly handguns there.

Thanks

There are a whole lot of descriptors to define that rifle, but abused isn't one I'd use.

Levers did not have prices. Only labels. Shop owner is a friend and on vacation for 2 weeks. Does not mean you can't buy one of the guns if something suits your fancy.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
All of you guys would have enjoyed my walk through the trees yesterday... at my LGS. Winchester trees, that is. Someone is selling off their collection of old Winchesters, mostly 1873 lever guns. Some in good to great shape, some not so much. Lots of brass parts, octagonal barrels, and W.C.F. was commonly scripted throughout.

There was even a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .458 Win for $1000 asking price in excellent condition, perfect bluing, and a stock with beautiful figure.

Anyone interested in details can call Kevin, the owner, at Public Gun, Hollywood, FL.

Cheers.
LD

That's a $10,000.00 rifle right there buddy. If it's a pre 64. You sure you had your glasses on... whistle Post 64, and you are probably in the ball park...
Post 64, buddy. Looked up the serial#. '77-78'.

Here are some pics, in case somebody's interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle LD. Probably well worth $1,000.00... Too bad it wasn't a pre 64 though... laugh
I hear ya, bsa. Walked in and saw that black on the forend and well, you know. Pushing people out of the way. smile

Seriously, though. Very nice gun. And, there's probably a deal or 2 on those vintage levers. I just don't know enough about them to make a call. Sure purdy to look at, though.
Did Winchester Hand Cut Checkering on Post 64 Super Grades?
No idea. Maybe one of the other guys can jump in.
Posted By: pal Re: A walk through the trees.. - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by knivesforme

More than likely, on Super Grades.
every time I visit Public Gun, I leave with a desperate wanting for something there. Dang, that Model 70 is nice.
Posted By: Odessa Re: A walk through the trees.. - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by knivesforme

In the Post-1964 lineup the only Supergrade available was the M70 African (as shown in the pictures) and the checkering was handcut. The M70 African was never offered in any configuration other than Supergrade. About 1966 the other M70 calibers were offered in a Deluxe Model, which initially had "deluxe" pressed checkering, and changed over to cut checkering later (in a pattern very similar to the early XTR models), but never at the level of a Supergrade.
© 24hourcampfire