Home
Posted By: ctw Winchester 70 youth? - 12/27/16
Some time ago I purchased a post 64 "youth ranger" with the thought of using the short action for a build. The rifle is like new and chambered in 243. Wondering how many of these were manufactured and if you guys think they may become collectible?
Thanks Chris
Posted By: ctw Re: Winchester 70 youth? - 01/04/17
No body here has a thought on these?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Winchester 70 youth? - 01/04/17
I have thoughts, you may not want to hear them. I bought a short action ranger in 308 and it was a pos. I paid $175.00 for it in 1997. It was brand new in the box. It had a plastic follower and no floor plate if I remember correctly. It also kicked like a mule and the birch stock was hideous. It didn't feed real well, but I attribute that to the follower being a piece of delrin..... There's some guys on here that absolutely loved them though. Someone else will chime in hopefully... As far as them ever becoming a collectors piece, I highly doubt it..
Posted By: ctw Re: Winchester 70 youth? - 01/04/17
This one has the floor plate and actually nice sights, my thought was a 6.5x55 built on it but I am now having trouble seeing it for parts. Guess I will stick it back in the closet.
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Winchester 70 youth? - 01/05/17
The later Rangers are a push feed Featherweight with a plain birch stock.
Find yourself a nice walnut Featherweight or Lightweight stock, and you will have a push feed Featherweight that says Ranger on the barrel. I'll take a 70 Ranger over a 700 any day.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Winchester 70 youth? - 01/05/17
We've had a couple of them. The stock was like a torture session for a youth, as the butt is so small it will dig in awfully hard even from a 243.

They are a nice enough gun with a better stock.
© 24hourcampfire