Home
Well, I finally got a chance to go to the range. Been working too many Saturdays lately and too much snow. I couldn't make it all the way to the pit that I like to shoot at, so I found a good backstop and shot in the national forest. I got set up and then heard the sound of some vehicles behind me. Sure enough, 2 4x4 pickups were trying to find a place to turn around. They saw where I turned around and I talked to them for a bit and told them they might have better luck backing down the road, but they insisted they could get turned around where I did. Long story short, I had chains on and they didn't. I ended up pulling both of them out after they got buried and blocked the road. Back to shooting: Before they showed up, I had to dial in my 2 pre 64's since I decided to throw the Zeiss back on the 270 fwt and put the zeiss conquest I had on my 375H&H on my 338wm and changed the bases and rings to a more beefy set-up. BobinNH told me a while back that I should go to a stronger set-up on my "lightweight" 338. I finally listened to him and damn I'm glad I did. I shot my best group with that rifle today. I've had some days where I shoot a nice group like that one and say, ok it's time to go, I'm satisfied and today was a day I felt like this, but I had to wring out my 270 with this new powder they call Reloader 26!!!! Been hearing a chit load of good about this combo so I wanted to see what the commotion was all about. After everything was dialed in, I set up the chronograph and had at it. Here are the twins:

[Linked Image]

Here's where I was set up. Keep in mind this isn't my normal place, but I had the target stand set up at 102 yards and the chronograph was about 12 feet away:
[Linked Image]

Here's how the 270 shot with the new powder (RL26). The velocities are shown on the target paper:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's what the chrono said on one of the shots:
[Linked Image]

I was hoping to hit 2900 fps. and get good accuracy and it looks like it did it. Should make a hell of a good elk stomper. I'll do some more accuracy testing later on when the weather gets better and I can get to the range. This was just a preliminary test to see if I could get 2900fps in this fwt with 150gr. nosler partitions. It reached that with no sweat and no signs of pressure. I think I'm liking this powder guys... wink
As for my 338WM. Well, that was the show stopper like I said earlier. I'm still grinning about how well that rifle is shooting. First 3 went into the same hole, so I kept shooting...

[Linked Image]
I know I've shown pictures of this rifle and told you guys about it, but have never gone into great detail about how well it shoots. I'll have to say, the work that was done to this rifle is spot on. It's a keeper...
I don't know if that's a great velocity with the 225gr. hornady pill, but I'm sure it will suffice. Elk beware laugh ..

Now I need to clean these rifles. You guys have a great rest of your weekend...
Good shooting BSA.

Maybe I should start shooting some of those pre-64 Model 70's. grin

donsm70
Thanks Don. Ha ha... They are fun. I ran out of time and didn't get to shoot my m1917 30-06. I really wanted to test the new pachmayr decelerator on that one...
Good shooting. I run H4831 in my Pre64 Model 70 338 WM(rebarreled 30-06). Can't remember who made the barrel, but it is cut at 22" and it puts out between 2650 and 2700 fps. My Classic Stainless 338WM with the 26" barrel with the same loads gets around 2950 fps.
Accuracy isn't quite as good as yours, but very close most days if I do my part.

Bob
Thanks Bob. I've really considered H4831 in my rifle too. Especially since H4350 is a big PITA to find!!!! I'll likely switch to 4831 or at least give it a try If I can't locate any 4350 for the old girl. Went to a hole in the wall gunshop today in search for some, but no luck. Also checked bi-mart, coastal and even Walmart, but no luck... Every store I visited today had H4831 and like you say, you can get great velocities and accuracy with it.
Originally Posted by Sheister
Good shooting. I run H4831 in my Pre64 Model 70 338 WM(rebarreled 30-06). Can't remember who made the barrel, but it is cut at 22" and it puts out between 2650 and 2700 fps. My Classic Stainless 338WM with the 26" barrel with the same loads gets around 2950 fps.
Accuracy isn't quite as good as yours, but very close most days if I do my part.

Bob

I'm glad you shoot your 338wm well. Sometimes it gets tiring listening to how you "can't shoot a magnum well" because of the recoil.......... I used to shoot a 300WSM in centerfire competition and it pizzed the guys off that were shooting 222's and .223 rem's. Made believers out of those guys though... laugh
Went to the gunshow in Albany today and there was powder everywhere, even some very hard to find powders (as long as it was Hodgdon or Reloader). However, I don't recall seeing any H4350 at all. Lots of H4831 and the H335 I was looking for my 223 loading and even at reasonable prices. I think I paid $25/lb for H335, which is a pretty good deal these days.
I guess I've been using H4831 for so long I just stick with it, even if it didn't get the very top velocities just because I can almost always get it, it is extremely stable and consistent, and I can use it in so many of my rifles.

Try it, you may like it. If you use a powder thrower you will really like the H4831SC.

Bob
Went to the gunshow in Albany today and there was powder everywhere, even some very hard to find powders (as long as it was Hodgdon or Reloader). However, I don't recall seeing any H4350 at all. Lots of H4831 and the H335 I was looking for my 223 loading and even at reasonable prices. I think I paid $25/lb for H335, which is a pretty good deal these days.
I guess I've been using H4831 for so long I just stick with it, even if it didn't get the very top velocities just because I can almost always get it, it is extremely stable and consistent, and I can use it in so many of my rifles.

Try it, you may like it. If you use a powder thrower you will really like the H4831SC.

Bob

I agree my friend. I really like the SC 4831. I've ran it in my 270 fwt with 130gr. partitions. It loves the stuff. Speaking of finding powder at gunshows. A few years ago a buddy and I went to the one in Pendleton and I found 8 pounds of H335 for $50.00. I snagged that stuff. My .223 rem loves it. I figured I'd try to burn it up and make a switch to tac or one of the newer powders, but it's lasting me a long time blush
Good looking twins you got there.
My .338 shot groups like that with 275gr. Speer RN, it had a Canjar trigger and was a dream to shoot. The most accurate of all the pre'64 M/70's I've owned.
BSA, that 270 looks awesome. I'd almost put a dollar on turning your seating stem in a 1/4 turn you'll end up with all three together (well, more together). I love 26 in my 270 WSM... I almost had Bob ready to try 26 in his but I think he probably had a bunch loaded up with 22 grin

Your 338 is wicked buddy. That's a shooting machine. Mines headed to get a Legend put on it right now. I can't wait to get it back after the fitting. With a safe full of good rifles I always seem to grab it when I wanna get stuff done. Oh, RL17 is pretty good in my 338 as well. Not a bad way to go if its available in your area.

Great day out there. Glad you were able to burn some powder.
Thanks Scotty. I know you love and appreciate the 338wm. I also agree with you on adjusting the oal with these pills in the 270. That was going to be my next trial. I do need to wait until it thaws out more, though, before I go out shooting there again. Damn snow was pretty harsh out there. I was even struggling a little with chains on. I'm thinking I can get to my clubs range in Washington, but they haven't posted any shoots for a few months. Your buddy in Lyle can probably tell you it was fugged here for a bit. The little town of Stevenson (west of where your friend lives) looked like a damn nightmare the last time I drove through there. Ice had powerlines and trees down and the snow was deep... That was last month, things are looking better now though.. Oh, by the way, your 338wm is going to be bad azzed with that new stock. I would love to get a legend one of these days, but would fu ck the whole thing up by having them put a left hand cheek piece on it. Ha ha... I'd never be able to sell the damn thing. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad either.. laugh
Hey, great shooting there buddy !
Mind sharing your build specs on that crazy accurate 338 ?

Cattledog
I'd love to Cattledog. Here's a better pic of the rifle, while I was out elk hunting:

[Linked Image]

However, I took the talley lightweights off and changed the scope. Now it sports Leupold PRW bases and rings along with a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. Here are more specs:

1954 H&H receiver
Gretan stainless barrel
Brown precision poundR stock that I painted brown to try and match the Mcmillan stock on the 270 fwt. I also added the red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad to help soak up that kick.
4 round mag box capacity
Fwt bottom metal
All up weight at 8 pounds 2 oz's.
Glass bedded by yours truly
Trigger tuned to 2.5 pound pull wt by yours truly
Metal cerakoted midnight blue.
bolt jeweled by local smith who also did the cerakote:
Action blueprinted from what my smith says.
[Linked Image]

When I bought it, the rifle was put together, but needed to be finished. I added the finishing touches the rifle needed. This rifle balances and handles perfectly. The brown precision stock really helps to mitigate recoil as well. This rifle is a puzzy cat to shoot and is damn accurate, as you can see. The first time I fired a group off with this rifle, it was wearing the Zeiss terra pictured above and it did well:
[Linked Image]

Here's the second group fired with this rifle, after scope adjustment:
[Linked Image]

I will say this, it is shooting better with the upgraded bases/rings and conquest...
Thank you.
Very nice work, that is one fine rifle you have there BSA.
Can't imagine a better hunting rig that'll do anything you ask of her. In fact, both rifles well executed, loving your twins.

Is the Gretan 22" or 24" ?
Thanks. 24" on the barrel my friend.
Hoooleeee cow. Looks like you've got a couple elk slappers there, bsa. grin
Sorry guys, I know most of you have seen these rifles. I was just happy as hell to get out and do some shooting with the ol girls. Haven't been able to get out to the range because of the snow. Still couldn't make it all the way out there and said fu ck it and found a good backstop in the national forest, threaded the needle through a few trees, but at least I could get set up at 100 yards and shoot. Last time I pulled the trigger, was on the bull I shot last October (first season bull). So as you might expect, my trigger finger was itching... laugh ... Being home bound, gave me time to work on the man cave/garage though. Did some painting and built a good work table for my new el-cheapo belt/disc sander..... You guys probably haven't seen those pics, so here goes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Looks like a great set up you have there BSA !
That is a great 338 BSA.. I dig it alot. Mine is about 9lbs all up with the current McM on it. The Legend may be a little lighter, doesn't really matter though, I like the rifle a bunch and it carries fine. I figure if my 71 year old elk hunting partner can lug his Chet Brown stocked 300 Win I won't complain about my 338.. It is a meat getter.

I am actually thinking of rescoping mine this year as well. Not sure what scope just yet, but it'll probably be something like a 6X36 Leupold with or similar.

Glad you were able to get out and shoot though. I shot a little this past weekend myself. It feels good to get out and burn some gun powder and get the rifles ready for Wyoming, Oregon and maybe Idaho this year.
Thanks Scotty. Boy you are right about it feeling great to get out and burn some powder. I have been chomping at the bit to get out there. Your 338 will look awesome when done. Post some pics of the rifle when you get the new stock and scope put on it. I remember you had the original stock that was cracked/repaired and then you went to that pre 64 montecarlo pattern McMillan. Now to a legend. I'll bet you'll like the legend better than the montecarlo pattern. I am very curious as to what you think of it. Please let me know how she works out after you get a chance to pack it around in the field... Thanks... Hey by the way, what color is the legend going to be??????
SWEET! you need to get summers damn brushogging, mowing and weedeating laid by the wayside then go smack some elk with those two this fall BSA. cool

Good shooting Buddy!
Thanks gunner...
It's olive colored BSA. Can't wait to see it all done.
Cool, should look just like EricM's then. Can't remember who ended up with that/my old rifle. There was a thread started about it a while back... That guy ended up getting a damn good rifle though..
I can't believe he got rid of it! Once he got his done I was dieting to get mine done. Plus it shot like crazy. It'll be tough to choose between my 338 and 35 Newton this fall.
Oh, I bet I know which one you grab.... laugh
Nice rifles, nice shooting!

Why did you choose the Leupie PRW setup?
Hey DD. I decided to go with the PRW because I had them laying around after selling my 375H&H to gunner. Pulled the scope and rings off of that rifle and just went with the whole works. I also like the looks of this set-up better. The talley's hung over the ejection port just a bit and BobinNH also thought the rifle would shoot better with a beefier set of rings and bases vs. the talley lightweights. He also thought I should re-drill and tap the base screws for 8-40, but I told him I wasn't going to go that far. Also, you know I'm a dual dovetail guy, but they don't make a good set for the H&H receiver that doesn't hang over the ejection/loading port. Many reasons I chose to go with these mounts and rings. The picture of the rings and bases aren't very good, but here's the scope, rings and bases on my 375H&H that I sold to gunner:

[Linked Image]

I don't have good pictures of the bases and rings on my 338 right now, but I have a few from the 375 if that makes any sense. Looks just the same on my 338 though:

As you can see, the base doesn't hang over the port:
[Linked Image]

Please excuse my laziness. I had to weld bilges in the rain today. Not going to go and take appropriate pictures... sick
Nice rifles and shooting. That mention of 225 IL reminded me of testing my 338/06. Those Hornadys separated at the 200 yds backstop. Core jacket slipped. But they had a beautiful mushroom. For me the 225 NPT or Barnes would be my go to on Elk. The Accubonds are tough. The 225 and 250 would do well. I had deadly results on deer using 200 BTs at 2900. The jackets were thick. All shot 1/2 MOA in my Hart 23".

Again nice rifles. Good hunting.
I believe I am going with Weaver bases/PRW's once I get my 338 back as well. I have 30mm Talley Screwlocks on it right now that have been fine as well. Still searching for that perfect set up for that rifle.

I am debating on putting a FXII 6x36 with LR Dots on it to be totally honest. It's lighter and it is all the glass I need to make hits out my max distances.

I have the same set up on my 300 Wby as what you've got on your 338 now and it is a rock solid combo in my book..
Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice rifles and shooting. That mention of 225 IL reminded me of testing my 338/06. Those Hornadys separated at the 200 yds backstop. Core jacket slipped. But they had a beautiful mushroom. For me the 225 NPT or Barnes would be my go to on Elk. The Accubonds are tough. The 225 and 250 would do well. I had deadly results on deer using 200 BTs at 2900. The jackets were thick. All shot 1/2 MOA in my Hart 23".

Again nice rifles. Good hunting.

Thanks 65. I actually had beretzs do some testing on these interlocks and he basically said the same thing. They really don't hold up nearly as well as a partition, but I ran across 400 of these bullets at a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm down to my last 50 or so now. I didn't realize I liked shooting my .338's this much I guess... laugh. I'm really contemplating making a switch to a 210 partition as my all purpose bullet. For the longest time I used the 250gr. sierra gameking and it produces dead elk on the spot, but you get jacket core separation. The core usually goes out the far side and the jacket found in the offside hide. I just recently bought 300 more of those pills as well. Found some old ones at a small town gunshop for a hell of a good deal.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I believe I am going with Weaver bases/PRW's once I get my 338 back as well. I have 30mm Talley Screwlocks on it right now that have been fine as well. Still searching for that perfect set up for that rifle.

I am debating on putting a FXII 6x36 with LR Dots on it to be totally honest. It's lighter and it is all the glass I need to make hits out my max distances.

I have the same set up on my 300 Wby as what you've got on your 338 now and it is a rock solid combo in my book..

Scotty, the leupold DD's always worked perfectly for me on my Alaskan like yours:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They are simple and strong and look good. However, if you ever want to go to QRW type rings, the PRW bases work great. I had my 375H&H set up with QRW's for a while when I was running a leupold 1.5-5x20. Quick on and off with the scope and you could quickly use the back-up irons..
DDs are never a bad choice, my most often Go To B&R. Talley's, the steel ones are also tank tough, yes, heavier than AL ones but what's a couple of ounces on a serious rifle when we all could lose a few lbs on ourselves....

BSA, I ran the 225 PTs, the 210s have a great reputation on Elk, yet the 225s only drop about 2" more at 400 with a 200 POA/POI, and you get more retained energy, and SD....I see little downside. Yes, the 250s were hell stout Sierra's - TOUGH jackets, yet no bonding or partition, and I would gladly run a 225 AB or PT for flatter shooting, great killing, and a bit less recoil.

All those bullets will work and work well. But a box or two of your top premiums for an elk hunt is low cost insurance, JUST in case you need it. Don't overlook the 225 Barnes. The 185 has worked great on elk as well, but BC as we know is always compromised when you go light. Downrange Speed, energy, and drop/drift matter to me as I want expansion, penetration, and retention, to ensure vitals are wrecked wink
If you guys like to spend money (who doesn't?), try some Swift Aframes on Elk sized game.

On Jim's recommendation, I bought several boxes of the 225 Aframes for my 338 when I went to Africa. They shot as well as my Hornadies and NPT's and to the same point of aim. When recovered from game ( the few we were able to find) the mushroom was perfect and the terminal effects were impressive. Most game just decided to lay down right there and give up.
I still had about a box left, so I loaded them up for elk hunting but I'm saving them for hunting and target shooting with the PT's and Hornady.

Bob
Originally Posted by 65BR
DDs are never a bad choice, my most often Go To B&R. Talley's, the steel ones are also tank tough, yes, heavier than AL ones but what's a couple of ounces on a serious rifle when we all could lose a few lbs on ourselves....

BSA, I ran the 225 PTs, the 210s have a great reputation on Elk, yet the 225s only drop about 2" more at 400 with a 200 POA/POI, and you get more retained energy, and SD....I see little downside. Yes, the 250s were hell stout Sierra's - TOUGH jackets, yet no bonding or partition, and I would gladly run a 225 AB or PT for flatter shooting, great killing, and a bit less recoil.

All those bullets will work and work well. But a box or two of your top premiums for an elk hunt is low cost insurance, JUST in case you need it. Don't overlook the 225 Barnes. The 185 has worked great on elk as well, but BC as we know is always compromised when you go light. Downrange Speed, energy, and drop/drift matter to me as I want expansion, penetration, and retention, to ensure vitals are wrecked wink

Good post man. I'll definitely consider the 225gr. partition as well. If they shoot as well as these Hornady interlocks, I'll be in business and it looks like you don't lose much in trajectory, but gain a little more weight. I'm a heavy for caliber bullet guy anyway, so that just may be my huckleberry. Thanks...
If you guys like to spend money (who doesn't?), try some Swift Aframes on Elk sized game.

On Jim's recommendation, I bought several boxes of the 225 Aframes for my 338 when I went to Africa. They shot as well as my Hornadies and NPT's and to the same point of aim. When recovered from game ( the few we were able to find) the mushroom was perfect and the terminal effects were impressive. Most game just decided to lay down right there and give up.
I still had about a box left, so I loaded them up for elk hunting but I'm saving them for hunting and target shooting with the PT's and Hornady.

Bob

I agree, those swift A-frames are bad azzed pills. As are the trophy bonded bear claws (the old ones). That's one of the things I love so much about the 338wm, there are so many good bullet choices out there. I remember in the early 90's, trying damn near every bullet I could get my hands on. From the light 180gr. Nosler BT's all the way up to some 300gr. pills. At the time, I made up my mind and settled on the ol 250gr. sierra GK, as it was the best shooter in 3 of the 338's I had at the time. Now I'm down to this 1 338wm, and it shoots every bullet I've tried in it very well. I don't think it has a picky bone in its body... I do have to come clean about these 225gr. interlock loads though. I made sure they were totally straight: Less than .002" TIR (run out). Since this rifle shoots so well, I'm going to give the 225gr. Nosler partition a try next. I do have some 210's, 250's and 275's (I believe those are speers) on hand as well....
I really like 225 Partitions in mine. They shoot to the same place as BBCs...

The 225 weight really is about perfect in the 338. I've used a bunch of others but a 225 started at 2900 is pretty serious stuff in my opinion.

I do like the Swifts as well. Great bullet. I need to try them and see if they print like the BBCs.
I've been using the 225 NPT's for many years now. Haven't even come close to what I would call a failure in any elk I've shot with them (around 12 or so IIRC). The couple I've shot with Hornadies I can't be so positive about. Dead elk but long tracking jobs and light blood trails.

At least in my rifles, the Aframes shoot as well as the NPT's. Less meat damage also.

I've been wanting to try some different bullets but I'm so darned old school I can't bring myself to change from something that works so well.

Bob
I've been using the 225 NPT's for many years now. Haven't even come close to what I would call a failure in any elk I've shot with them (around 12 or so IIRC). The couple I've shot with Hornadies I can't be so positive about. Dead elk but long tracking jobs and light blood trails.

At least in my rifles, the Aframes shoot as well as the NPT's. Less meat damage also.

I've been wanting to try some different bullets but I'm so darned old school I can't bring myself to change from something that works so well.

Bob

Yes sir. I vaporized one of the Hornadys I put into water jugs at 25 yards started at 2900. Not knocking Hornadys at all but there were just pieces left behind. A 225 PT will burn thru 6 or more and be perfect.

Bob

Yes sir. I vaporized one of the Hornadys I put into water jugs at 25 yards started at 2900. Not knocking Hornadys at all but there were just pieces left behind. A 225 PT will burn thru 6 or more and be perfect.

That right there, along with every else's input here is making me want to shoot the rest of these interlocks up on paper and buy some Nosler 225's from SPS...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bob

That right there, along with every else's input here is making me want to shoot the rest of these interlocks up on paper and buy some Nosler 225's from SPS...

BSA, I still have the rest of the ones you sent me. I tried it twice. The 2nd one was OK, but not in a Nosler or similar state. I like Hornadys but those just worried me a bit. Could have just been a bad couple of bullets. I'd imagine out at distance they might have been fine. But I always worry about the close range encounters, provably needless as my closest elk has been about 55 yards but I spend too much in diesel to not have the good stuff in the Alaskan.
I hear that Scotty. And with the prices you can buy partitions at SPS, it makes mucho sense to run the good stuff. I have no excuse, except the 400 225gr. hornady interlocks were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up. They have been fun plinking and poking paper with though... laugh. Hey, next time you are down this way or at your buddies house, you need to check out the new small gunshop in town. They have tons of powder, bullets, reloading supplies, ammo and some rifles... Not bad prices either...
I hear that Scotty. And with the prices you can buy partitions at SPS, it makes mucho sense to run the good stuff. I have no excuse, except the 400 225gr. hornady interlocks were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up. They have been fun plinking and poking paper with though... laugh. Hey, next time you are down this way or at your buddies house, you need to check out the new small gunshop in town. They have tons of powder, bullets, reloading supplies, ammo and some rifles... Not bad prices either...

Is it in the The Dalles?

Yeah, between SPS and RMR bullets I can't find much reason to not shoot the good stuff. I tend to like to keep my shelves stocked with Partitions and similar AB's. I have others I shoot, but being as bullets don't go bad, and don't get less expensive, it is nice to keep them around.

Is it in the The Dalles?

Yeah, between SPS and RMR bullets I can't find much reason to not shoot the good stuff. I tend to like to keep my shelves stocked with Partitions and similar AB's. I have others I shoot, but being as bullets don't go bad, and don't get less expensive, it is nice to keep them around.

Lyle...
Got it. I'll have the old man check it out once he gets back.

I did just grab a bunch of 175 PTs off of SPS for the new MSM. CANT BEAT 16 bucks a bag..

RMR has 140, 150 and 160 Partitions cheaper than that.. Decent deals to be had when you look around.
Yep, I agree. Like the 200gr. partitions I bought a while back for $13.45/bag..... Took my mule deer buck and elk with those cheap sob's last season... laugh. They worked real well...
RMR? I'd love to buy some bullets cheap.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
RMR? I'd love to buy some bullets cheap.

Rocky Mountain Reloading.

It's my second favorite place to nab bullets.

http://rmrbullets.com/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa
Yep, I agree. Like the 200gr. partitions I bought a while back for $13.45/bag..... Took my mule deer buck and elk with those cheap sob's last season... laugh. They worked real well...

You aren't kidding. I cringe if I have to pay full price for them.

You aren't kidding. I cringe if I have to pay full price for them.

Yep, $45.00/box is way too rich for my blood as well....!!! sick

It's like the 9.3x62mm 286gr. partitions I bought at SPS. I burned those up like they were going out of style. Imagine if I were to have paid full box store prices for those babies... laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SPS is an awesome place. They allow me to get out there and practice a lot more with my actual hunting loads/bullets... cool
Keep your eyes on Rocky Mountain Reloading fella's, some good deals on bullets to be had on there.

That was a great shooting 9.3 BSA..
Thanks for the heads up Scotty. You are right about the 9.3x62mm, it was damn accurate, but my 338wm is damn near just as accurate and about half as heavy... laugh
© 24hourcampfire