Home
Posted By: JeffG Tigre rifle - 03/09/17
posting for BLR358win: "Here's something you don't see everyday: Tigre rifle in 44-40 Saddle ring carbine, made in Spain 1917. Copy of an 1892 Winchester."

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Tigre rifle - 03/09/17
TY Jeff. Ser # 20xxx. Anyone know anything about these rifles? Amazing quality. I will be shooting it soon.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tigre rifle - 03/09/17
Very cool. I'll bet there is some good history behind that one.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Tigre rifle - 03/10/17
Actually one of the rifles on the The Rifleman used by Chuck Connors was an El Tigre. I never heard anything bad about them. They are a well made copy. I do not know if an exact copy with interchangeable parts with the 92 Win though. I am leaning that they are but not positive on that.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Tigre rifle - 03/10/17
Also it holds I believe 5 rounds in the butt of the stock.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Tigre rifle - 03/10/17
We had one on display, with some real nice Winchesters, at the shop about 35 years ago. It was in really fine condition best I remember.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Tigre rifle - 03/11/17
I saw one about 3 years ago, but it was no where near as nice as the one in the photo.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Tigre rifle - 03/13/17
My understanding is they were manufactured under license from Winchester. The word around is they are good guns, yours looks cherry.
Posted By: Kp321 Re: Tigre rifle - 03/17/17
I have had an El Tigre for about 30 years, also in 44-40. They used to be quite common in Texas, I suspect they came in from Mexico early in the twentieth cantury. Mine is excellent , near Winchester's quality and much better than the current crop of Brazilian imports. Don't know about price now but I paid less than half than a similar Winchester 92 would bring at the time.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tigre rifle - 03/18/17
Iv run across 4-5 of them and they all were lets say "Well used" no finish and pretty beat up! they were a working rifle!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tigre rifle - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by saddlering
Iv run across 4-5 of them and they all were lets say "Well used" no finish and pretty beat up! they were a working rifle!

Probably like any old Winchester. You could used them and use them and not have to worry about the bolt handle falling off... laugh
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Tigre rifle - 03/21/17
Just got done shooting the Tigre. What a fun gun! Shot cowboy action loads in 44-40. No recoil whatsoever. Shot very well but was 6 inches high. Functioned flawlessly. Holds 13 rounds. Also found out theres a cleaning rod that goes into the butt stock not extra rounds. I now have it also! Hard to tell its not a Winchester rifle.
© 24hourcampfire