Home
Posted By: Paul4 What would you build? - 05/02/18
I have one more pre64 model 70 donor action to build off of. It is currently a 270 so it needs to be a long action cartridge. I was thinking maybe a 257 Roberts or 25-06. I already have a 30-06, 270, 6.5x284 in pre64 customs. I also have a McMillan edge featherweight stock so it will need to work with a number 2 contour barrel and be relatively lightweight. Thoughts?
Posted By: ctw Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
I always thought a fast twist barrel and the 220 swift would make a nice combination . I figure someday to put one together on a mauser.
Posted By: southtexas Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Assuming that deer are the primary quarry, I think your idea of a quarter bore is perfect. Nostalgia says the 257. Practicality says 25/06. I'd put a Featherweight contour barrel on it and be happy ever after.
Posted By: szihn Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
What will it be used for?

In my experience, from deer to elk, the 270 is as good as any cartridge and better than some.
If you want a varmint rig the 22 swift my be cool.
If you want a heavy hitter maybe a 9.3X62.
If you want a "one size fits all", after 112 years the 30-06 is still very hard to beat.

And there are about 35 other possibilities too...........................
Posted By: smithrjd Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Is the 257 Roberts a long action? My '53 is setup for more of a short action with the bolt stop and magazine. All actions are 'long actions" but mods were made. 9.3X62 to me would be a nice one.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
I'm torn between 6.5-06 and .280
Posted By: irfubar Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Considering what you have, I would say either a 9.3x62 or an 1/8 twist 220 Swift.

Although a 240 Wby or 6mm-06 would be cool, both with a 1/8 twist
Posted By: Paul4 Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Several I haven't considered. The use would be primarily just another toy to take to the range, maybe coyotes if I went with smaller caliber. I hunt with 280ai for everything from antelope to elk and oryx here in NM so definitely don't need it and was considering selling the barreled action and stock but really love the way the 6.5x284 turned out and figured may as well build it.

I was considering 338 federal but not sure how well that would work on the long action if it would work at all. I was looking at the parts necessary to change to a short action and it will end up costing as much as I paid for the complete rifle.

Thought on 257 Roberts in a long action or best to just do 25-06?

Liking the 220 swift idea.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Well the 338 Federal is a 308 necked up. The 257 Roberts is a 7X57 necked down. A little bit of difference, short and mid action. As an aside I had a Tikka in 338 Federal and it was a great deer rifle. I think you would have the same feeding issues with either. The 25 06 would be a perfect match for a 270 setup.
Posted By: BCJR Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Im building one as well , almost went 6.5x55, but went 06. However , you have a 06 and a 6.5x284 so a 6.5x55 may fit in nicely.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Easy. Another 280ai! :-)
Originally Posted by BCJR
Im building one as well , almost went 6.5x55, but went 06. However , you have a 06 and a 6.5x284 so a 6.5x55 may fit in nicely.

Just sold my Barrett fieldcraft in 6.5x55 as I have the 6.5x284 and a couple 6.5 creedmoors so wanting something a little different with this.

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Easy. Another 280ai! :-)

Haha. I considered it but just had my dream rifle completed and it's a 280ai. Borden timberline action, proof carbon barrel, manners stock so pretty well covered there along with the 280ai built on a Remington 700 action that made me so fond of the cartridge.
I would say the 25/06 since it is my favorite deer cartridge. However, if you love the 6.5/284, why not build a 25/284? I understand brass might be an issue, but if you have a supply of the 6.5 brass, shouldn't be hard to neck it down? Or is it?
6mm rem
Posted By: patbrennan Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
On your action, if you want a 25 caliber the 25-06 is the easiest/most logical one to run. It will feed just like it does as a 270 and get the most out of that action length in a 25 std cartridge. I am assuming you are not interested in anything bigger than 30 caliber for the project. A quick twist 22 or 24 caliber could be interesting, depending on intended usage.
Nice problem to have!
Posted By: szihn Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
did you think about a 338-06?
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Paul4: My customized pre-64 Model 70 in 240 Weatherby Magnum is one of my most favorite, most accurate and most useful custom Rifles!
Long range Deer to Coyotes to Antelope to Rock Chucks - this Rifle/caliber is VERY tough to better!
Best of luck to you with whichever caliber you decide to go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
I would tend toward .257 Roberts, 7x57. Chris's idea about a fast twist .220 Swift is intriguing too.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I need a crash course on the pre64 please. Looks like to do the 220 swift I would need a unique follower and magazine box which look to be rare/expensive. Not sure on the extractor or extractor ring? Bolt stop?

I’m looking to build this as economically as possible so don’t want to have to buy additional small parts.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
You might do .22x6mm to avoid some of the issues with the semi-rim. I like the swift but in my 700 I had to load only 3 in the mag even though 4 would fit else I'd tie up the action feeding the first cartridge off the top of the magazine. So ... .22x6mm, .224 Clark, something along those lines. 6x'06 would be pretty interesting if you wanted a full '06 length cartridge.

Before deciding, I'd suggest getting whatever parent cartridge you want to work from and see how they feed from your rifle's magazine .. might save some headaches later.

Tom
Posted By: lundtroller Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
6mm Remington, 6.5-06, 240 Wby mag., 338-06... lots of good choices out there! Keep us posted!
Posted By: stephanis Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
I had a 220 Swift with a 1x7 twist, 33.5 grains of varget with 77 gr of Sierra Match Kings at 3200 fps. Great for prairie dogs.
Posted By: Lansend Re: What would you build? - 05/02/18
Originally Posted by Paul4

Looks like to do the 220 swift I would need a unique follower and magazine box which look to be rare/expensive. Not sure on the extractor or extractor ring? Bolt stop?

My own pre 64 220 Swift is away, having some work done, but I'm certain you would need a new follower and mag box and even then might have feed problems. Pretty sure bolt and extractor for the Swift would also be different. Bolt stop probably OK. I'd go with the 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser. Whatever you decide, stay close to the original cartridge head dimensions if you want to keep cost down.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: What would you build? - 05/03/18
If you are looking to keep costs down nothing is simpler than sticking with an 06 based cartridge. Then it is just a matter of what caliber fits with your desired use for the rifle. Keeping costs down pretty much rules out any wildcats, fwiw. (dies, reamer, fireforming, potential resale, etc.)
Posted By: Brad Re: What would you build? - 05/03/18
The Roberts is the perfect companion to your other rifles.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: What would you build? - 05/09/18
How about a .264 Win.? It would remain true to the action, and would suck the doors off any of your other 6.5s!
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: What would you build? - 05/09/18
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
How about a .264 Win.? It would remain true to the action, and would suck the doors off any of your other 6.5s!

I don't own a 264 WinMag but, that would be my choice as well.
Posted By: Windfall Re: What would you build? - 05/09/18
I am pretty surprised that no one thus far has suggested the .35 Whelen because if you were even considering the .338 Federal, a Whelen has stood the test of time and I'm not forecasting as bright a future for the .338 Federal. That heavy hitter 9.3 x 62 would be unique, but unique on the used market wouldn't sell as well as the Whelen and the two are pretty similar.
Posted By: Brazos Re: What would you build? - 05/09/18
Originally Posted by szihn
did you think about a 338-06?

This ^^^^^^^
Posted By: Paul4 Re: What would you build? - 05/09/18
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

I don't own a 264 WinMag but, that would be my choice as well.

I have a 5 digit classic in 264 wm so don't need another I really have all my bases covered but I hate seeing the parts sit. Lilja has the correct barrel in stock for the McMillan edge featherweight stock I have but it's a .308 with 1:11 twist. I may just have to do another 30-06.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: What would you build? - 05/14/18
I recently inherited a '48 chambered in a 270, been seriously thinking having it bored to make a 338-06.
Posted By: pete53 Re: What would you build? - 05/14/18
I had a magnum pre -64 action so I built a 257 weatherby mag. if you don`t want to open the bolt face I would build either a 220 swift or a 6.5 x284 but I would have it finished with a 26 inch barrel, the 6.5x284 would be my first choice also,with the standard bolt face.good luck,Pete53
Posted By: Lampson Re: What would you build? - 05/14/18
Sounds like he wants to stick with a light contoured barrel, so another vote for 240 Weatherby.
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: What would you build? - 05/15/18
I think a 35 Whelen would work nicely in your rifle lineup👍
Posted By: jt402 Re: What would you build? - 05/18/18
Your first thought for the .257 Roberts is a great one considering your existing battery. Everyone needs at least one mild mannered cartridge. Deer are not that hard to kill. After chasing them for almost sixty years, I could have taken all except maybe four with a .30-30. Certainly with a Roberts and it would have done well except perhaps two of them.

Best wishes,

Jack
Posted By: patbrennan Re: What would you build? - 05/18/18
For anything other than an 06 based case I would get some cases first and run them thru the action to see if there are any feeding issues. Other cases may require some mods, which you may or may not want to do.
Now a 257 Roberts built into a lightweight model 70 would be a neat/nostalgic deer rifle. Doesn't have to be logical or the most practical to be interesting!
Posted By: Brad Re: What would you build? - 05/18/18
Originally Posted by Brad
The Roberts is the perfect companion to your other rifles.

Horse, water, drink... smile
Posted By: MILFhunter Re: What would you build? - 05/19/18
[quote=hawkman0206]I think a 35 Whelen would work nicely in your rifle lineup👍[/quote

I also think the .35 Whelen should be in heavy consideration

MH
Posted By: StrayDog Re: What would you build? - 05/20/18
Could you like a 6mm-06 or a 25-06 AI?
Posted By: PSH Re: What would you build? - 05/24/18
If you are wanting to change things up from the 270 make sure and take a peek at Wisner's for replica parts like mag boxes, followers, etc.. They can be out of stock at times, but they get around to making the stuff. I have had a 20" carbine fwt contoured 250-3000 built and I hung onto the pre 64 stuff so it can be put back to original one day if it strikes a fancy. The 7x57 I had put together in a fwt configuration was rough so I just Gunkote'ed it olive drab and bedded it into a Hi Tech stock. Someone had done a Krylon paint job to that entire rifle prior to me getting it. I'm fixing to do a 284 Win in a fwt contour, but not sure if it will be on a pre 64 or an early 5 digit classic yet. The last one I have in mind is going to be a 256 Newton. Mainly because I like to be different, lol. If I didn't go Newton I'd go 6.5-06 just for cost effectiveness.
Posted By: Paul4 Re: What would you build? - 05/25/18
Originally Posted by PSH
If you are wanting to change things up from the 270 make sure and take a peek at Wisner's for replica parts like mag boxes, followers, etc.. They can be out of stock at times, but they get around to making the stuff. I have had a 20" carbine fwt contoured 250-3000 built and I hung onto the pre 64 stuff so it can be put back to original one day if it strikes a fancy. The 7x57 I had put together in a fwt configuration was rough so I just Gunkote'ed it olive drab and bedded it into a Hi Tech stock. Someone had done a Krylon paint job to that entire rifle prior to me getting it. I'm fixing to do a 284 Win in a fwt contour, but not sure if it will be on a pre 64 or an early 5 digit classic yet. The last one I have in mind is going to be a 256 Newton. Mainly because I like to be different, lol. If I didn't go Newton I'd go 6.5-06 just for cost effectiveness.

Thanks, I had never heard of Wisner's. that definitely opens up some options.
© 24hourcampfire