Home
Posted By: RGK A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
I called Savage awhile back about building me a .30-06 to my specs...I wanted a few things that weren't available on the factory rifles, like a 24" barrel and a stainless barreled action, bedded in a nice walnut stock. I also wanted the detachable magazine, also not available in their standard lefty offerings. "No problem; we can do that", Savage told me. So I placed my order and waited. While waiting, I also got in a set of DNZ one-piece mounts (low) and started deciding on what glass to use. I had a 3-9X 3200 Bushnell Elite laying around, so I put that on for testing. I eventually will go with one of the Weaver Classic 4X scopes; Weaver is making excellent little fixed-power scopes now. It'll work well mounted low in the DNZ mount. Here's some initial photos; more to follow after I range-test. This will make .30-06 number 8; eventually I'll find the perfect '06. This one has potential. OK, OK; it's a Savage...but it's a NICE Savage.
Bob

[Linked Image]

A full, 24" factory barrel
[Linked Image]

Bottom metal is stainless; box mag works well, without any issues. I like it better than the Sako 85
[Linked Image]

Nice, dark walnut; pores are well-filled with a perfectly fitted pad. Not fancy, but lots of color. A great hunting stock
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Very Nice !
Posted By: broomd Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Indeed...no shame in that fine Savage rifle!
Posted By: bbassi Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
That is almost exactly what I want in a 17 Remington, minus the center feed magazine. (and the accu-trigger, but I could compromise on that) I love the look of matt stainless on walnut.

If you don't mind me asking, what was their turn around time?
Posted By: RGK Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Originally Posted by bbassi
That is almost exactly what I want in a 17 Remington, minus the center feed magazine. (and the accu-trigger, but I could compromise on that) I love the look of matt stainless on walnut.

If you don't mind me asking, what was their turn around time?

It was very quick...exactly a month. They were between orders and it was summer (almost), so I lucked out.
Bob
Posted By: scottf270 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Cost please. If you would prefer, pm me. I really like the gun.
Originally Posted by scottf270
Cost please. If you would prefer, pm me. I really like the gun.

The best thing to do is to call Savage (Special Order Dept) and tell them what you want. They will give you a quote over the phone. Each one, depending on the features you want, will be different.
Bob
Posted By: scottf270 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Other than maybe a caliber change, the gun you got is exactly what I would want. That's a nice enuff gun to make a guy forget about a stainless 70!!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
That does look very nice and I agree it is nicer than all those overpriced Model 70's that come up from time to time.
Posted By: kelbro Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/05/13
Looks nice.

Hard to tell from the pix but does it have the newer smooth barrel nut?

Cut checkering or impressed/stamped?

It has the new smooth barrel nut. Checkering is machine-cut; sharp, clean and VERY nice. I'll post more pix tonight.
Bob
Posted By: kelbro Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/06/13
The more that I look at that rifle, the more that I want to call Savage and order myself one.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/06/13
Well, since my recently purchased A-Bolt Stainless Stalker showed up with a broken stock,I'm due a refund. Just about made up my mind to order one of these. Now in what action length and caliber?
Posted By: nsaqam Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/11/13
That is a very sweet Savage you ordered there!

Nice to see that Savage will still make these rifles to order in such a reasonable amount of time and for such a reasonable cost.

Wonder if this will change with the new ownership of Savage?

Enjoy the great looking rifle.

Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: A "Custom" Savage - 06/11/13
Nice looking rifle! I have their 14 American Classic in a .308 Win, and it has the same look, only blued instead. I am thinking, however, that I may need a new rifle soon and I'm glad to hear they do custom orders, as I've wanted a .338 Win for long enough and that in a .338 could be my sweetheart. Nice rig!
© 24hourcampfire