Home
Posted By: scottf270 Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
With all the talk about these being an option to the hard to find lefty Winchesters, who has one and what is your opinion of them. Did you go with the factory barrel or have your smith put on another makers tube? What about the stock?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I have two rifles built on the Montana Left Hand Action , my 243 Win with Pac-Nor barrel and my 264 Win Mag with Montana Barrel. I love the Montana Actions . As far as stocks , on the 243 McMillan Edge and the 264 WM HS Precision
Posted By: ck30943 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I have three...two are MRC actions and barrels...270wsm and 300 wsm...mc swirly...they are twins..both ss fluted barreled actions bought From MRC think I paid around 500 a piece for them...shoot great...third is a MRC 375 h&h....Serengeti lamanated stock....Ausome gun....
Posted By: Stadle01 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I am in the process of a 300wsm build right now on MRC action. Should be ready in the next few weeks. In discussing options as a lefty with the gunsmith he very much likes the MRC actions. So I decided to listen to him and go with it. He is a long time smith with a great reputation here in the Seattle area.

I went with a #4 fluted Lilja barrel. It will be sitting in a Manners EH2 in elite hunter series (Color = desert hunter). barrel and action will be in black cerakote. Will put murphy titanium rings and base on it.

One thing I liked was the extra length in the mag box on the short actions. I hear people say the extra weight is an issue but based on my estimates the rifle will come around 7.5lbs and i can shave a bit by replacing the factory bottom metal with aluminum and few other mods if needed to balance the rifle.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
Originally Posted by bea175
I have two rifles built on the Montana Left Hand Action , my 243 Win with Pac-Nor barrel and my 264 Win Mag with Montana Barrel. I love the Montana Actions . As far as stocks , on the 243 McMillan Edge and the 264 WM HS Precision

Bea,

How did you come up with a left hand HS Stock for a Winchester action ? Will HS do custom inlets on request ? I really like the fit and feel of the HS stocks. I had a custom LH Sako .375 in an HS stock that was very comfortable to shoot. A LH MRC action in an HS stock would be a good combination. Unfortunately, their website only shows RH inlets for Winchester actions.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
If I buy the action from MRC, what about trigger and bottom metal?

Included? or better options? The trigger is what I'm curious about, Is the MRC trigger identical to the Winny trigger?

This may be the way I need to go to get my .308,

You guys with the Montana barrel, You like?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
If I buy the action from MRC, what about trigger and bottom metal?

Included? or better options? The trigger is what I'm curious about, Is the MRC trigger identical to the Winny trigger?
They're included; trigger is identical to the "old" Model 70 with two jam nuts and bottom metal is identical to the Model 70s; "better options" is subjective with regard to bottom metal. And FYI, the triggers are often stainless -- even on the CM actions.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Bea,

How did you come up with a left hand HS Stock for a Winchester action ? Will HS do custom inlets on request ? I really like the fit and feel of the HS stocks. I had a custom LH Sako .375 in an HS stock that was very comfortable to shoot. A LH MRC action in an HS stock would be a good combination. Unfortunately, their website only shows RH inlets for Winchester actions.

I used a Left Hand Model 70 HS Stock and altered the floor plate inletting to fit the Montana Metal . The 264 Win MAG in the HS Mod 70 LH Stock . HS did the LH Model 70 Stock for me .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I thought about starting a thread titled "The cult of the LH Winchester" I can't see paying $1600 for a gun that is worth $800 at best. They might be good but not that good. I might buy one at a reasonable price but not at the prices they seem to command. There are other good choices so I could care less what Winchester does in the future.
MRC looks like they make a fine product that should be able to please those who want a controlled round feed rifle. Ruger makes a good product too and actually works at giving us options.
I have two Left Hand Feather Weight Model 70 's , one in 270 Win SS and the other in 270 WSM Blue . I like them, but wouldn't pay the price for another one at today going rate. I purchased my two when Winchester was still selling them at a normal price .
Posted By: broomd Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I thought about starting a thread titled "The cult of the LH Winchester" I can't see paying $1600 for a gun that is worth $800 at best. They might be good but not that good. I might buy one at a reasonable price but not at the prices they seem to command. There are other good choices so I could care less what Winchester does in the future.
MRC looks like they make a fine product that should be able to please those who want a controlled round feed rifle. Ruger makes a good product too and actually works at giving us options.

+1....
I used a Left Hand Model 70 HS Stock and altered the floor plate inletting to fit the Montana Metal . The 264 Win MAG in the HS Mod 70 LH Stock . HS did the LH Model 70 Stock for me .

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that HS would do special requests for LH inlets. The floor plate I can handle. I've done one HS RH to LH for a Rem 700 action. Not again...
Posted By: mart Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I've had two of them. One was a standard short action and the other a long action magnum. I bought both on the charter program when they first started up. I had them barrel the long action in 375 H&H and put it in a Winchester take off stock. It was a good rifle and shot well. I had no issues with the action or the barrel. I sold it recently to fund another project.

The short action was sold several years back when we were facing some medical issues with our son. It never was barreled but it was well finished and actually closer to an intermediate length action. It would handle any of the x57 rounds for length. If I had any complaint about their actions it would be that they are a bit on the heavy side. Their short action would not be my pick for a light rifle.

I would have no issues with another of their actions and am anxiously awaiting the production of their left handed pro hunter actions.

Mart
Here is my Montana in 243 Win Left Hand SS with PacNor Barrel and McMillan Edge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
bea, if you held the MRC action in your left hand, and the Winny in your right,

what thought would be going through your mind, How do they compare?

Is there visible differences? Quality,Function? Feeding? Smoothness?
Posted By: nitrosonic Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
Here is my Montana in 243 Win Left Hand SS with PacNor Barrel and McMillan Edge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I'll Take It" lol

Nice Package you've created there bea
24" bbl ?
Rich
Originally Posted by Kenneth
bea, if you held the MRC action in your left hand, and the Winny in your right,

what thought would be going through your mind, How do they compare?

Is there visible differences? Quality,Function? Feeding? Smoothness?

The Model 70 action is a tighter more solid action than the Montana . If giving the choice of actions for a new build i would take the Winchester over the Montana Action , but this isn't saying the Montana isn't a great action for a new build . The Montana Action is smooth and feeds very well. I would use and trust the Montana action for a Dangerous Game Rifle Build in a heart beat.

Yes the 243 has a 24 inch barrel turned to match the Winchester Factory Featherweight Barrel Contour
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
bea that's one fine lookin rig. Absolutely what I have in mind for a future short action stainless build. Although I'll probably just go with a Winchester stock which will require a WSM contour. Montana keeps sayin they will offer lefty synthetic stocks but who knows.
Posted By: Kilimanjaro Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/08/14
I have a custom 300H&H built on an MRC lefty action. Barrel is a Brux. Stock is an Echol's Legend Carbon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by scottf270
Montana keeps sayin they will offer lefty synthetic stocks but who knows.

I emailed MRC middle of the week for a paper catalog, and inquiring about the possibility of a LH XWR-SS. Their response was that they are waiting on the XWR stocks. ETA from the manufacturer is mid-July for the stocks. Catalog showed up today.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
[quote=Kenneth]If I buy the action from MRC, what about trigger and bottom metal?

Bottom Metal heavy, compared to a Winchester. Trigger similar to older Wi.

No, one example I rebarreled to a Douglas.
Posted By: MOG Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
Would the old SMP WXR mag box if easily on one of these?
Great. Build there Kilaminjaro, what is the metal finish and colour?
Can you slab one of these like you can a Win 70 to reduce weight or due to it being investment cast?

Regards,

Mog
Posted By: bea175 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
Originally Posted by kk alaska
[quote=Kenneth]If I buy the action from MRC, what about trigger and bottom metal?

Bottom Metal heavy, compared to a Winchester. Trigger similar to older Wi.

No, one example I rebarreled to a Douglas.

Montana makes a great barrel and the trigger on the Montana is the same as the Winchester Model 70
I had one of the charter stainless short actions made up in .358 Win with a fast-twist, 21-inch MRC barrel. It shoots extremely well, bedded into a Serengeti Leopard pattern stock from that time period - often a half-inch or so with loads it likes for 3 shots at 100 yards. It is a magnum contour barrel as MRC would not go slimmer for a .358. I also have a MacMillan Edge stock for it that lightens things up. I do not know how their barrels are now, but that hand-lapped MRC barrel from that time is very nice.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
Didn't MRC make left hand barreled actions chambered for some of the WSM's about 6-8 years ago and CZ sold the completed rifles?
i believe they did , but not sure it was offered in Left Hand
I thought there were a few LH. It was before the WSM caught on.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
"before the WSM caught on"?
Posted By: Kilimanjaro Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/09/14
MOG404
Thanks..

the metal is finished in Tungsten. The extractor is SS.
The stock is flat green.
OK before it had as much interest as when it was a new offering, At least that was my perception!
Well, I wonder when that was! Winchester sold 8 times as many .300 WSM's the first year they came out as they'd projected, right out of the gate.

Maybe everybody was buying Winchesters and Brownings for a while, before they started buying WSM's in other rifles.
It must have taken lefties a while to hit there stride!
No doubt!
I look at all three WSM's and decided the 270 WSM offered the best ballistic improvement of the three, considering the 300 WM and 7mm Remington Mag Belted case gave better ballistic or equal over the shorter 300 WSM and 7mm WSM rounds. So the 270 WSM was my choice of the three offering so i purchased the Model 70 LH Featherweight in 270 WSM. This rifle loves the 140 gr Nosler AB with MagPro and Win Magnum Primers. Maybe one day i will leave my Standard 270 Win at home and take it hunting .
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/10/14
Yes to the CZ 3 as an attempt to enter the rifle market using MRC actions. I actually have one I picked up from an estate auction. I have had it over 6 months and have never even shot it. I know, I need to get out more. It's in a good looking lighter colored stock with a blued finish. All of them were in the WSM calibers. There are one or two right hand rifles on Gunbroker right now. They were made in right and left hand. No idea how many ever sold. With some of the past negative posts on MRC quality, I wanted input from other owners before I looked at a short action stainless in a non magnum caliber.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/18/14
mrc barreled action in mcmillion edge stock 7mm STW.The barrel shoots as good as i can.I like them myself

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/18/14
Was the Mcmillion stock made for the MRC rifle or fitted from a LH Win 70 Stock?

Your tang height looks right, most Mcmillion stocks that were inletted for Win 70 stocks then converted to a LH MRC the tang are is not deep enough, then the metal is proud of the stock in tang area. Can you take a picture of tang area.
Posted By: nvshooter Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/21/14
My lefty MRC build: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1252702/51

Better picture: [Linked Image]
Posted By: TheDude Re: Montana Rifle Company - 03/22/14
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by scottf270
Montana keeps sayin they will offer lefty synthetic stocks but who knows.

I emailed MRC middle of the week for a paper catalog, and inquiring about the possibility of a LH XWR-SS. Their response was that they are waiting on the XWR stocks. ETA from the manufacturer is mid-July for the stocks. Catalog showed up today.

Pretty funny...that's what they said last year when I called. Don't hold your breath.
© 24hourcampfire