Home
Posted By: Grady8541 left hand ruger american - 05/30/14
Not yet. But if enough people request one, they might. I did my part.

edited to add link:
http://www.ruger.com/footer/contact.html#
Posted By: Pointbock Re: left hand ruger american - 05/31/14
I talked to the Ruger rep at the Great Alaska Sport Show in April, and he promised they were coming (both blued and stainless.) A sales rep's promise doesn't mean much but Ruger has been pretty lefty friendly.
I would buy the new predator in 6.5 creedmore in left hand in a New York minute.

Doc
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 05/31/14
I sent an email as well. I'm pretty sure I'd outfit my son with a rimfire, 223 and a larger centerfire.
Good idea. I sent an email as well.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: left hand ruger american - 06/09/14
sent an email but wont hold my breath.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: left hand ruger american - 06/09/14
I bought a RH SS Ruger American compact 223 till they make a LH.
Neat rifle have not shot it yet.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 06/09/14

If they make a LH, I'll buy at least one.

And I'll send an email too. Won't hurt, may help.

Steve
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

If they make a LH, I'll buy at least one.

And I'll send an email too. Won't hurt, may help.

Steve

Steve,

Most of the guns you own have had more "zero's" in the purchase price! grin

Doc
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 06/09/14

Just got a reply back from Ruger about LH America's. They said they have no plans to make them, but would forward my email to their marketing department.

Would not want to hang by my thumbs over a hot fire waiting for a LH America.

Doc,

I've been trying to tone down. It would be a big help if you sold your LH and #1 rifles to me at half market value. It would be greatly appreciated and an important first step for me. I know you will be there for me!!

We should get together sometime this year. May have another Grill and Chill.

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Steve

To their credit Ruger responded to my email. I got the same reply as above - there are no current plans to make LH version and the Marketing Department would be notified. At least we tried.
Posted By: Grady8541 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/12/14
Requested again. Just because.
Posted By: tmitch Re: left hand ruger american - 09/12/14
While you guys are at it, ask for a LH 77/22 too. I have, but not holdin' my breath.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: left hand ruger american - 09/15/14
That is their standard, canned email response for anything not currently in the line up.

Several years ago, right after the SR9 came out, I emailed and asked about a SR45..."nothing planned" they said.

I emailed about the 1911, "nothing planned" was again the same reply.

It will be a while but I don't doubt they plan on a LH version.
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 09/15/14
Check these out! laugh

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9179918#Post9179918

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleLeft/models.html

I'm guessing the American has sold enough to throw lefty's a bone...

Posted By: kcm270 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
Ruger sent me an email announcing a LH American Hunter.

Take a look. They listened.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleLeft/models.html

I'm buying at least one. At least a 223, and likely a 270 or 30-06. Good work, guys.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
Ruger sent me an email announcing a LH American Hunter.

Take a look. They listened.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleLeft/models.html

I'm buying at least one. At least a 223, and likely a 270 or 30-06. Good work, guys.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
I can see one in my future.

Especially because I'll be surprised if the Forbes I have ordered will be delivered by their latest date. They have already missed three of them, starting last Spring.

And the price of the LH American is about one third of the Forbes rifle.

I also sent an email to Ruger asking for a LH American. It looks like they listened to us lefties. Good onya Ruger.

Steve
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
This is good news! I noticed the 22-250 has a 1-10" twist barrel. That should help it with longer bullets, no?
It won't hurt. I'm thinkin' that 1-8 .223 is in my future.
Posted By: broomd Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
Wow. Interesting.

And the .308 is listed at a svelte 6.12 pounds.
Wondering if they have any plans for an all weather lh SS in the future....ruger has always been good about offering the shiney finish to southpaws.
Posted By: Dingmo Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
LH Stainless steel will get a couple in my future!!!
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
I'm thinking of getting 2 for my oldest. 223 is a definite and I'm flip flopping between the 243 and 7-08 for the other. While I'd prefer stainless, I'm not sure if I should wait. I'd hate to wait and then have the whole line discontinued. I do hope they offer the compact version as I'd like to have the stock for his! I've heard rumors of a few wood/laminate makers making stocks for these, so I may go that route instead of chopping one up.

PS- I would not be all that surprised to see a McMillan option within a year. From everything I can tell, the American models are selling quite well.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
I've heard that Ruger will supply a compact stock for it for 55 dollars.
This is great news.
Schweeeet! Been looking for a LH .223 for my daughter. Hopefully Ruger will have them available before Christmas.
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
Originally Posted by coyote268
I've heard that Ruger will supply a compact stock for it for 55 dollars.
For leftys? I too have seen that for the right handed rifles, but they don't even list a lefthand compact.
How smooth are the actions on these? My Savages are rather clunky. Might trade over for something requiring less finesse to cycle quickly.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: left hand ruger american - 09/16/14
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
This is good news! I noticed the 22-250 has a 1-10" twist barrel.
And yet the Hawkeye remains saddled with a 1-14" twist tube.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: left hand ruger american - 09/17/14
Originally Posted by Bricktop
This is good news! I noticed the 22-250 has a 1-10" twist barrel.
And yet the Hawkeye remains saddled with a 1-14" twist tube.

Thats why I thought this interesting.
A thought just struck me (ouch), since they've brought out the LH American centerfire hopefully it won't be too long before they bring out the rimfire version in LH.

If they do, snatch'em up and keep a few NIB. In 25 years you can make a fortune selling them for ridiculous prices like folks get for left hand Remington 581's. wink
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 09/19/14
I had emailed Ruger about building more left hand rifles. They sent me the notice that they were making LH Ruger Americans and gave me the cartridges. I thanked them, and asked when the LH's would be available.

Have not gotten a response.

Has anyone heard of a release date for the rifles?

Steve
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/19/14
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
Has anyone heard of a release date for the rifles?

I sent an email to my FFL when this thread started. Sent him the link to the LH RAR's. Asked him to check availability of a .223 with 1:8 twist barrel. Have not heard anything from him either.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/19/14
Talked to Ruger this morning and the lefties are out there. Dealers should start getting them any time now. Rep said they will probably be coming out with a compact stock for them. Cost will be around fifty bucks.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: left hand ruger american - 09/20/14
Hats off to Ruger for offering a pretty decent line up of calibers for lefty shooters and with compact stocks, kids and women.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: left hand ruger american - 09/20/14
There is one for sale on Armslist in 7mm-08 right now. Damn, I'm short of funds right now or I'd get it for my Granddaughter.
Somebody buy my 7mm mag Browning BAR so I can get it.
Posted By: ejo Re: left hand ruger american - 09/26/14
I ordered a 223 today. Hopefully distributors will start seeing them soon.
Posted By: Bugger Re: left hand ruger american - 09/26/14
Hats off to Ruger for offering a pretty decent line up of calibers for lefty shooters and with compact stocks, kids and women.

I agree! My wife is about 5'4" and a lefty. A 7-08 in left youth be perfect.
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 09/27/14
I too am wanting a lefty compact, but have yet to see one listed on their site or in any press release. Hope they are coming...
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 09/27/14

I have a LH 270 on order from First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD.
They have been excellent in finding rifles for me. They have checked all of their sources and have not found one yet.

Steve
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: left hand ruger american - 09/27/14
Might toss out some money for a .223 when they show. Already have tons of bullets and brass and with the 1 in 8 twist it might shoot the 70-75 grain bullets good.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
How smooth are the actions on these? My Savages are rather clunky. Might trade over for something requiring less finesse to cycle quickly.

In case anyone else wondered: I handled a rh RAR last night. It was much smoother than my Savages. Not Tikka T3 smooth, but fairly close. Maybe a sprinkle of graphite away. If they had .260 or Creedmoor listed I'd sell my Savages off at a loss. Probably will get a 308 regardless.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: left hand ruger american - 09/29/14
Action is smooth but not in love with the way the mag feels and feeds based on my one Compact 223 with limited use. Going to buy a LH American just to support Ruger for making them in LH.
Posted By: pointer Re: left hand ruger american - 10/27/14
FWIW/FYI, I did the contact Ruger thing asking about Compacts in LH. They stated that they are not planning on making those and that the RH compact stock will not fit the LH rifles.

I'm really wanting to get my son (7yo) a 223 and thought this would be it. I still may and just cut the stock down or order a Boyds with a shorter LOP. Other than the costs, it's making the LH GSR look a bit more appealing for this purpose...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: left hand ruger american - 10/27/14
Guess the .223's are out there but I'll wait for a better price since I am in no hurry:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449991073
Posted By: 30338 Re: left hand ruger american - 10/27/14
Delivered at $342.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...id/94958/Ruger+AMER+RFL+223+LH+5R+BLK+MT
Notice all the stainless are OUT OF STOCK.
Posted By: 700LH Re: left hand ruger american - 10/29/14
I don't think they come in SS left handed.

BTW, LH Americans are available now in most calibers at several outlets under $350, shipping included from several.
I'm about to order one of those .308s then. Is there any reason to hope they'll give us anything more interesting than the current offerings? I don't recall that in the 77 line. Something 6.5mm would sell another to me. And a rimfire or two...
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: left hand ruger american - 11/04/14
Got a LH American 270 Win from First Stop Guns in Rapid City SD. Mike, the salesperson was a big help. Cost to me was $352.

Have not fired it yet because I'm waiting for some Leupold rings which are due to be delivered this Wednesday.

Steve
Posted By: kk alaska Re: left hand ruger american - 11/06/14
I wonder if the 22-250 Magazine will work with 250 Savage?

Be a neat way to end up with a 250 Savage LH LW.
I've seen the notices of the Ranch rifle also coming out in a left handed model.

One of those in 300 Blackout will come to my property when & if they ever materialize. No stock numbers yet, but my inquiry confirmed they are in the works.

Time will tell.
Got the notice that Davidson got some .308s in. Sold out before I clicked over. Hope that means they're flying off the shelves fast enough to prompt production of rimfires!
Posted By: ejo Re: left hand ruger american - 11/07/14
What are our chances for a stainless version next year?
Better if we buy blues now.
Got my .308 in. Machining marks on the bolt were rougher than I expected from handling a few rh examples. The result is the bolt will bind were a Savage or Tikka won't. 'Course a Savage will hang up were the RAR won't. Tikka is the only clear winner there.

I also had to sand out the end of the forearm to get it to float. It wasn't much at all, but it'd have to be much more to keep it floating when flexed. Definitely gonna have to keep any rest or grip at the rear of the forearm to avoid flex and bounce.

For just over $370 including transfer, I ain't complaining. If it does 1.5 moa or less with factory it'll be a steal.
I'm salivating over these things! Haven't seen one in the LGS yet, but I handle the RH versions every time I go in. Didn't know Ruger had come out with a LH American until a few days ago!!

ETA: I'm going to pick up a 223 for a walking varminter, and a 7mm-08 for a light hunter. The terrain I hunt is often steep, and covering 1000-1500ft vertical in a day is standard. Getting tired of lugging around an 8.5lb rig.
What is action length (long & short) ??
Both. The shorts are real shorts, not long with a bolt stop like Tikka.
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Both. The shorts are real shorts, not long with a bolt stop like Tikka.

Thanks....a left hand 22-250 is in my future being they are a true short action...plus a 1-10" twist all the better...
© 24hourcampfire