Home
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Bolt questions - 10/25/14
Hey guys. If you have a bolt spiral fluted and have handled one with a larger bolt knob on a hunting rifle, i would like to see some pics, and hear some of the reasons you would recommend a larger knob such as the Campfire knob done by Karl.

What do you use, and why?
Posted By: broomd Re: Bolt questions - 10/25/14
You'll likely get more responses on the custom forum, rather than the lefty forum.

I've had Karl do some bolt fluting, but not a handle. I've considered the handle due to my big fingers dealing with the small factory bolt end. But most of the knobs look too big to me.

Badger does make a smaller knob, I think Karl offers one as well.
I'd want one in TItanium to save some weight, accu-tig offers one.
But....there is something to be said for keep things factory original...my .02.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Bolt questions - 10/25/14
I've got two shifters on rifles. Actually have one on my lightweight 6.5-06 and had bolt fluted too since I like the way it looks. If I had to choose on or the other, would take the oversized bolt knob. I can work it way faster than the standard remington knob and have had no scope clearance issues. Doesn't look bad either.
Mine was a Kampfeld fire bolt knob. Guess I have 3 rigs with them actually.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Bolt questions - 10/25/14
Nice, what kind of scope are you using? I am hoping to upgrade to a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 or a 4.5-14x40. That is the one i am particularly interested in.
Never warmed up to a 4.5-14, but do love a 6x Leupold, 6x SWFA or a 3.5-10. Will snap a pic in a second, gotta find my spotter for a walk tomorrow.
Here you go. 30-06 right, favorite 6.5-06 middle, and 9.3x62 at left.
[Linked Image]
I hear ya about not warming up to a scope. I went with a 4-12 and have had issues seeing horn on some deer. The horns tend to be darker in color, and blend well with the backdrop. I hope that maybe a little more power will help there.
Thanks for the pics. I like the 6.5-06. Mine is a 30-06.
We all hunt different terrain and have different needs in optics and rifles. For speed shifting, I like the oversize knobs a lot. Good luck on your project.
Posted By: Droptine Re: Bolt questions - 12/05/14
Karl did the fluting and Campfire knob on this one. I really like the feel and function of the knob. Any future builds I do will have the campfire knob.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Re: Bolt questions - 12/05/14
Very nice!
© 24hourcampfire