Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Ruger American question - 03/02/15
Am looking at a LH 22-250 American as a donor rifle to build a 250 Savage from. Does anyone know how the barrel is attached to the receiver? Threaded or pressed and pinned?
Threaded with nut a la Savage
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ruger American question - 03/02/15
Okay, thanks.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Ruger American question - 03/02/15
I wonder what thread size Ruger uses on the American
I've been trying to find the article to verify this, it might have been in Rifle magazine, but I believe that barrel nut is swaged on. I was reading the assembly procedure the other day, the "nut" and barrel are held immobile with a headspace gauge in place while the receiver is turned and threaded over the barrel. Then if my info is correct, the nut is swaged down tight.

I certainly could be misremembering this but if not that would make barrel swapping or removal somewhat more difficult.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ruger American question - 03/03/15
An issue like you describe could take all the fun out of a cheap donor.
Posted By: RWE Re: Ruger American question - 03/03/15
my reading is that the nut is held by a collet - since it be smooth and aesthetically pleasing, but it is not swaged or hard threaded.

rock on, my brothers...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524445
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ruger American question - 03/03/15
Thanks for the information. The link you provided was excellent and very informative.
Thanks for that info, could be the author of the article I read thought it was swaged since it was so tight.
Posted By: pointer Re: Ruger American question - 03/03/15
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
An issue like you describe could take all the fun out of a cheap donor.
For your conversion, a rebore might be cheaper.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Ruger American question - 03/04/15
That's a possibility.
Posted By: Pointbock Re: Ruger American question - 03/05/15
I'd be interested to hear how that turns out. I have a gap from .223 to 7mm-08 in my line up, and I'd like to try a RAR. I know the smart thing would be to just get a .243 but that would be too easy. I've always wanted a 250 Savage or a 257 Roberts; this might be an option for the 250-3000.
Posted By: nitrosonic Re: Ruger American question - 03/05/15
The two things that give me the worst case of the "heebeejeebees" are barrel nuts & duplex reticules
© 24hourcampfire