Home
Posted By: Dingmo Lefty 17HMR Recommendations? - 11/11/15
Thinking I'd like a lefty 17hmr for plinking and squirrels. I'd like to scope it. Not a fan of Savage. Any other recommendations for a good rifle? CZ 452?
I have a CZ 22lr that is great, can't imagine the 17hmr wouldn't be. My 17hmr is a Savage and the thing is a tack driver, so I wouldn't have any problem recommending that either, even though I know your not a fan. I threw a Boyd's stock on mine and it's killed it's share of raccoon and squirrels.
I have a CZ 452 LH in 17 HMR. Great rifle, easy to tune trigger, flawless feeding from mags, sub-MOA w/o bedding or even floating the barrel. Nice quality all the way around.
I have a lefty Savage, I paid $199.00 for it new in the box
and it shoots like a $400.00 rifle. Mine was pre-accu-trigger so I added a rifle basix trigger and a Leopold 4X-12X. The rifle shoots the 20 gr Hornady's into 3/8 at 100 yards.

Doc
CZ & Browning T-Bolt are really good ones. Cooper makes one too.
As others have mentioned the savage rifles are not to be frowned upon.

Have one and it shoots lights out. ( at least for buzzards @ 100 yds)

Wears a boyd's applejack colored stock.
Thanks for the suggestions! My biggest issue with Savage is the stock - looks like Boyd's can solve that.. I've never put a new stock on a rifle - is there much skill/fitting required?
Easy to do, but don't make the same mistake I did.

Not sure of all boyds stocks, but the factory trigger guard won't fit the boyds I got, you have to buy theirs. Another $20 I think.

I had to order the guard seperately, shipping was $10 for a $20 part.
OK - piling on here - I found a guy selling a lefty Savage 17, but it is a youth model with a standard barrel. Can I restock it with an adult stock? All of Boyd's are bull barrel contour - will that be a significant issue?
good question.

checked savage website to compare. they don't list a yute LH anymore.
Only thing wrong with the Savage rimfire is the parts between the trigger and the barrel; i.e. the action is cheap junk. Browning T-Bolt trigger pull tends to be more the weight of the rifle. Go CZ if you can stand the backward safety or Browning if you like playing with spring wire!
I have the Browning T-Bolt in a lefty 17HMR target varmint version. I like it. On a camping trip with my daughter we were consistently shooting apples at 150 yards. I put a Leupold 4.5-14 on there and it's pretty darn accurate. A bit more spendy than the Savage though.
© 24hourcampfire