Home
Posted By: utah708 End of an era for me - 01/24/16
Putting my .416 Rem up for sale means that I have probably started to liquidate my small collection of LH Winchesters. Sigh. Rather than try to drag all the rifles out and figure out how to take a photo, I will merely raid the bolt drawer...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tmitch Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
What's that stainless bolt go to?
Posted By: Headache Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
I feel the pain!!!

I am going to sell eleven of my left hand M70's this spring. I designed the left hand M70 while working at USRAC (Winchester) in charge of the M70 line and have eleven consecutively serial numbered, many in calibers never offered. These are my prototypes. Proofed and function fired only. The calibers are 243 with a Schnider heavy barrel in a HS varmint stock, 25-06 Sporter, 270 Sporter, 7mm Mag Sporter, 7mm STW Sporter, 30-06 Featherweight, 300WM Sporter, 338WM Sporter, 35 Whalen Sporter, 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

Headache
Sorry to hear this.. I think of selling some of mine, but would never get out of them the $ I have invested..
I'm fine with this. I'm 71 years old and have several other left hand M70's to use. This is part of my retirement plan.

Headache
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by Headache
I feel the pain!!!

I am going to sell eleven of my left hand M70's this spring. I designed the left hand M70 while working at USRAC (Winchester) in charge of the M70 line and have eleven consecutively serial numbered, many in calibers never offered. These are my prototypes. Proofed and function fired only. The calibers are 243 with a Schnider heavy barrel in a HS varmint stock, 25-06 Sporter, 270 Sporter, 7mm Mag Sporter, 7mm STW Sporter, 30-06 Featherweight, 300WM Sporter, 338WM Sporter, 35 Whalen Sporter, 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.

Headache

I bet you're going to get a few PM's now!
Lawdwaz,

Yes...I have already received a few. I will not break up the collection as it would kill the value. This has never been done and it will never be done again. It will take DEEP pockets to buy this collection.

Headache
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
Lawdwaz,

Yes...I have already received a few. I will not break up the collection as it would kill the value. This has never been done and it will never be done again. It will take DEEP pockets to buy this collection.

Headache

There HAS to be a Lefty Museum you can donate them to?? smile
Posted By: ejo Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Lawdwaz,

Headache

There HAS to be a Lefty Museum you can donate them to?? smile

I am willing to start one. Please feel free to donate.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: End of an era for me - 01/24/16
Lost in all this was the original post of Utah708's selling of his 416.
I feel the pain!!!

Headache

This has never been done and it will never be done again. It will take DEEP pockets to buy this collection.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: utah708 Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Well this thread has taken a turn I had not expected.
Posted By: broomd Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
I feel the pain!!!

Headache

I bet you're going to get a few PM's now!

What a great feeling to not care one iota about a collection like that..I'm likely one of the few to feel that way.
The way this country's going a guy better have guns built for hunting and, well, defensive shooting.
Donate the things to a museum I say....
Posted By: kudu3 Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
The OP said this was a part of his retirement plan. I do not think donating them to a museum would improve his standard of living during his retirement years. If there was a museum who wanted to buy them, then maybe?

Dean
Originally Posted by kudu3
The OP said this was a part of his retirement plan. I do not think donating them to a museum would improve his standard of living during his retirement years. If there was a museum who wanted to buy them, then maybe?

Dean
The "OP" was utah708. He didn't state anything about "retirement plan." That was that super humble guy, Headache, who chimed in afterwards. He designed the left-handed Model 70.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by utah708
Well this thread has taken a turn I had not expected.

What'd you expect with an opening post of a bunch of bolts? smile

Hang some pics of the REST of the guns and set some prices, that'll get 'er cranking!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by kudu3

Dean

Re-read the ENTIRE thread, from the start.

Slowly.......

(as you're going through it, notice the smiley face at the end of my post where I mentioned the museum donation. That is the universal sign for a joke/something funny etc.)
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Why? Have they lost their luster for you or just paring down the herd? I have only one left hand Winchester 70, so it will not be turned loose.
Posted By: bbassi Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
I feel the pain!!!

Headache

Lee24?
Posted By: gerry35 Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
Jackie Treehorn looks like Bricktop to me.....
Posted By: broomd Re: End of an era for me - 01/25/16
BT couldn't resist affixing the 'thumbs down' logo on virtually every thread he ever posted.
Pent up hostility for packing a 2" 'barrel'?
Posted By: Headache Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
utah708,

Sorry for what I started here. I didn't mean to hijack your post.

When I saw all your bolts it reminded me of my collection I am going to sell and I though that maybe a collector might be looking around. I was not bragging...just trying to give a little history of the guns.

Once again sorry for the distraction. I hope you sell your rifle soon.
Headache
I was interesting to hear of you collection of left handed rifles.. Even though I shoot right handed.. I would pay no attention to someone with only 69 posts being so negative..
Posted By: tmitch Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
True to form on the 'fire, the negativity squad sidetracks an interesting (to me) thread. I'd love to hear and see more of utah708s and Headaches LH M70 collection. But I don't blame 'em if they abandon the thread now due to the haters and the jealous.
Originally Posted by tmitch
I'd love to hear and see more of utah708s and Headaches LH M70 collection.
You should expect nothing less from the guy who singlehandedly designed the left-handed Model 70. He's really modest. smirk
Posted By: utah708 Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
Headache--

Apology accepted, but certainly not required on your part. Once threads start, they tend to ramble, and that is OK.

It would be great to have you start a thread about your experiences developing the LH M70. I am glad you did--it is my "go to" hunting rifle. My small collection of using rifles based off the m70 action are all customs: a 7 Rem by Penrod, a 30-06 featherweight, a .338 Win in an Echols Legend stock, and the .416 that I am somewhat reluctantly putting up for sale.

But we would love to learn about the issues involved in getting the Lh 70 to market. A specific question I have is why you did not go to the effort of a true LH follower?
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
Wow. Just frickin' wow.

Headache and utah708, you both sound like you've got pretty nice collections of LH 70s. Good luck to both of you when you unload them. They are yours to do with as you see fit. Enjoy gentlemen.
Posted By: utah708 Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
Oh--I just re-read my post and the wording gives the impression I have a Legend rifle. Only in my dreams; I just have one of D'Arcy's stocks (and have tweaked the wording in the post to reflect that.)
Utah, over the years I've viewed some fine LH rifles in your posts. I hope they were/are good to you!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: End of an era for me - 01/26/16
utah708, thanks for posting. I'm left handed and enjoy even hearing about left handed Model 70's.

I'd be interested in owning one, should you feel like PM'ing me about your collection.

Thanks,
LD
Posted By: John_Gregori Re: End of an era for me - 01/27/16
I'm also interested in any LH Model 70s, especially if they're Stainless Classics.

Please PM me.
Posted By: pointer Re: End of an era for me - 01/27/16
I'll be interested in seeing the details of the rifes, especially any 30cal and smaller short actions. Give me some ideas (hope) of what I could put together for my two LH sons.
© 24hourcampfire