Home
Posted By: ReggieDunlop Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
There is a stainless model 70 in 300 Win Mag on gunbroker. See the link below.

Lefty SS Model 70 In 300 Win Mag

This is not my auction. The price seems high to me but all you need are two people that really want it.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
I am betting it does not get any bids. You could buy a stainless rifle from MRC for a bunch less.
Posted By: pointer Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
The price for LH Winchesters is high enough that I think I'd just buy a MRC action and go from there. Though they are a long ways from there, but I think that's what each of my boys will be getting for HS graduation gifts.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by utah708
I am betting it does not get any bids. You could buy a stainless rifle from MRC for a bunch less.

I would hope so because that would mean the LH M70 prices would finally start to drop...but I have a feeling we are a long ways off from the silliness of high lefty M70 prices ending. Especially for the uber rare stainless ones. frown
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by utah708

Could buy a stainless LH MRC X2, put nice glass on top, buy ammo to sight it in and to hunt with... and still be in it for less money...
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
There's no question you can buy a rifle that will do as well or even better than an M70 for a bunch less money. BUT it won't say Winchester on it and, whether you agree or not, that is part of the value people place on them. We'll see an end to the silly prices when Winchester starts making left hand M70s again. (Hopefully not until I've already sold all mine) I agree that price seems a tad high, but how many LH Stainless M70s are for sale for less?
Originally Posted by tmitch
I agree that price seems a tad high, but how many LH Stainless M70s are for sale for less?

True, they do not come up on GB all that often. I thought a handful showed up earlier this year and were somewhere between $1,400 and $1,800. I picked one up recently for $1,400 and it was scoped (figure $100 for the scope). $2,000 just seems high as a starting point.
Pricey, indeed. He's also proud of the 30-40 Krag he's got for sale.
Fooey on that. I'd buy a left handed Ruger m77 before spending that damn much on a rifle..
Posted By: 79S Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/25/16
That seller is [bleep] nuts that's for sure... Like BSA said I buy a Ruger 77
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/26/16
I was glad to sell both of the stainless rifles I had in 300 Win Mag years ago. The only way I would ever buy another is to flip it. They were without a doubt the worse two rifles I ever owned in my life.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I was glad to sell both of the stainless rifles I had in 300 Win Mag years ago. The only way I would ever buy another is to flip it. They were without a doubt the worse two rifles I ever owned in my life.

Thank you! I had a 338 and sold it as well. Should have held it longer before selling, just to let the price ride up. It was a good solid gun, but had a few notable and documented flaws, and wasn't really all that accurate.

For $2000, I'd buy 2 Tikkas and 2 scopes, and get groups out of the box the Winchester would need another $300-$500+ (barrel, and action tuning) invested to get.

At least the resident crackhead is no longer with us, or he'd be getting his panties in a wad about someone bashing his beloved company.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/31/16
Three hours to go on the auction and still pulling a goose egg.
Posted By: broomd Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/31/16
Leftys out there are finally waking up.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/31/16
Could be a consingnment sale as well, with a dreamer owner.
Posted By: RGK Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 08/31/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fooey on that. I'd buy a left handed Ruger m77 before spending that damn much on a rifle..

Yup. Put a little money into a 77 to suit your tastes, and you have a nice semi-custom. Or buy an MRC X2 stainless; mucho cheaper and probably a better rifle than the Winchester. And it has a warranty.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Another 300wm on gunbroker now http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582641446 no reserve and only $600 starting bid. Also comes with a telescope on top.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/06/16
"stock has handling marks from hunting" ... Looks like it was attacked by a hungry Rottweiler ... smile
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/06/16
I think they hunted in an area with barbed wire fences, and had a nice tool on the rifle sling to push the strands down with. When did Winchester offer a stainless left hand with a synthetic stock? And, if it is not factory, what company other than McMillan offered aftermarket for it?
It's difficult to tell for sure but that stock looks a lot like a McMillan Supergrade. The checkerng pattern on the pistol grip is identical. The forend pattern at the front doesn't exactly match the current example on McMillan's web page but the overall shape, the density of the checkering and particularly the texture of the paint, look an awful lot like a McMillan stock. Which would only make this a better deal.

From McMillan's page:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/06/16
That [bleep] on the stock will buff right out:)
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/07/16
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it is a McMillan. I had one on my 338. They probably really trashed the walnut one, and had to replace it. I guess it could always be sent back for a new pad, repair, repaint.
Current bid is $730 with two days to go. This is either going to get priced way up in a bidding war at the very last or someone is likely to pick up a hell of a deal.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/09/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Current bid is $730 with two days to go. This is either going to get priced way up in a bidding war at the very last or someone is likely to pick up a hell of a deal.

Now up to $855, with two days to go. Good deal for a New Haven lefty as they do command good prices.

I disagree with the idea that a Ruger 77, MRC or other brands is preferable, but that is a matter of taste. I had couple of 77s back in the 80s and dumped them in favor of pre-64s as soon as I could since the handling left me cold. I later looked for LH Classics, but I now have all I need including a couple of Custom Shop honeys.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/09/16
The stock would have been probably $500-$550 even back then. Granted, it needs some repair, but still makes a better working gun than the factory walnut with stainless.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/10/16
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
Another 300wm on gunbroker now http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582641446 no reserve and only $600 starting bid. Also comes with a telescope on top.

Its down to TMitch or Mudpup! Running neck to neck.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/10/16
It's just the "feeling out" bids now. cool The sprint to the wire won't start 'till around noon (Eastern time)tomorrow. Then you'll see who's still got their wind. blush
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/10/16
good time for "bets" aka guesses on the closing bid, for those of us who know better. lol.

Let's see....Win mag. long action LH with Leupold scope and presumed McMillan. I say $1995
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/10/16
Boy you just can't figure out auctions. About 5 years ago I put up a MRC in a Supergrade stock, stainless lefty, 458 Lott. No bids in about 6 weeks. Next time it was up two guys went at it hot and heavy and neither hit the "buy it now" button and went about $150 or $200 over the buy it now price.
All it take is 2 guys with deep pockets caught up in the auction.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/10/16
Okay KenMi! I'm gonna guess low at $1300, mostly because of that beat up looking stock. But, as Snowwolfe said, ya never know! It's the right time of the year to see that sort of thing.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/11/16
I was considering the fact that 2 bidders seem to already both want it, but it just depends how badly.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/11/16
Haha! I was using a bit of inside information that one of the bidders wasn't all that serious. cool

$960, pretty surprised. Woulda made a good donor at that price.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/11/16
Came close to placing a bid myself. Thought if I could get it for under a grand could part out the scope and stock and restock it with a factory wood stock. But the rifles condition stopped me from bidding, it just looks really beat. Hard to tell what you would find once you removed it from the stock.
My thoughts too. The bid I did put in would have put me at $1K with shipping and transfer fees. Didn't go for much more.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/11/16
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Came close to placing a bid myself. Thought if I could get it for under a grand could part out the scope and stock and restock it with a factory wood stock. But the rifles condition stopped me from bidding, it just looks really beat. Hard to tell what you would find once you removed it from the stock.

My only interest as well. Have the spare LH wood stock here somewhere. But, need another "project" like a hole in the head...
Well I figured it was a decent deal for under $1k (not including my transfer fee). I plan on replacing the stock and scope. Here's hoping that the metal is in good shape.
Was wondering if someone here got it, good deal! Glad I didn't bid it up on you. Metal shouldn't worry you, a quick run through a bead blaster will make it look like new again. The stock had me more concerned, but probably just cosmetic.
Well my high bid was $965 so it would not have taken much.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Have the spare LH wood stock here somewhere. But, need another "project" like a hole in the head...

Let me know if you have a wood stock you are looking to sell.
One in the classifieds

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11428278/Searchpage/2/Main/779889/Words/+stock/Search/true/Re:_Winchester_Mod_70_LH_L/A_F#Post11428278

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 09/12/16
That could easily work out to about a $600 "flip" profit. McMillan would repair the black stock, then also grab a factory walnut to bring it back to original. Bidders would go nuts.
Well, I picked up the new rifle. The stock has some marks (as you could see in the pics on GB) but it all looks to be cosmetic. I'm going to send the stock to McMillan to repaint it and replace the recoil pad. I've already spoken to them. I just need to send them some pictures to have them verify that it is a McMillan stock.

The barrel also has some dings but all in all it does not look too bad. I'm going to give it a good cleaning and see how it shoots. Then I'll decide what to do.

ETA: The stock has lots of marks (not just some). Still, they purely cosmetic.
There is now a stainless 30-06 with mcmillan listed as well. Not mine fwiw.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/588064905
Posted By: KenMi Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 10/01/16
Yikes. Add a nice stock and a Yugo muffler
Posted By: Anjin Re: Stainless Model 70 on GB - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop
Well, I picked up the new rifle. The stock has some marks (as you could see in the pics on GB) but it all looks to be cosmetic. I'm going to send the stock to McMillan to repaint it and replace the recoil pad. I've already spoken to them. I just need to send them some pictures to have them verify that it is a McMillan stock.

The barrel also has some dings but all in all it does not look too bad. I'm going to give it a good cleaning and see how it shoots. Then I'll decide what to do.

ETA: The stock has lots of marks (not just some). Still, they purely cosmetic.

Good for you! Fine decision. Cosmetics are unimportant on a rifle with fiberglass stock meant for shooting in hard weather conditions. (I have both kinds of 70s including some Custom Shop beauties of each.)
© 24hourcampfire