Home
Posted By: Chasseur Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
I am very glad to see a section on combo guns and drillings.

How about a drilling thread to match the combo gun one?

I'll get it started with my "go-to gun" my old GDR Merkel in 16/16/7x65r. I've used in for the past 5-6 years in the US and in Europe and its never let me down on axis deer, red stag, mouflon, woodcock, partridges and pheasants.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
THAT is one great drilling! cool

Too bad the rifle barrel doesn't group. frown

grin
yea, tht flyer must have been a disappointment.

Great looking gun, and nice shooting.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
I really believe it wants to shoot. If you keep working at it I'm confident you'll come up with a good load.

Nice, very nice!!!!
Triebel Dural drilling in 16/16/8X57JR with 22 mag insert. The 4X Hensoldt scope is in claw mounts. I call it my "pimp-drilling". The gold plating has grown on me over the years, and I kind of like it now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1909 Sauer/Prussian/Charles Daly sidelock 12/12/30-30. I use it a lot during chuckar season. Steelhead put it to good use for a few years, too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My latest drilling...a 1955 Sauer 3000 16/16/6.5X57R. My dogs don't care what I use, they just love doing this. laugh

[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/126.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/SauerforBC006.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/SauerforBC002.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Chasseur Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
I knew I could entice you to post some of your beauties with this thread! grin

Very nice!

Thank you guys for your encouragement with my problematic groups wink
Posted By: kutenay Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
Chasseur, what model is your Merkel, is that a 96K as I think it is?

I have the same gun, 12-12-9.3x74R and mine now has custom peep sights, front post, Q-rib, scope mounts and it also shoots RWS factory 286 H-Mantel and my handloads of the 286NP as well as the Speer 270 gr. bullet as yours does.

These guns are amazingly accurate, I wish I had one in 20-20-7x65R to get the weight down for climbing in BC's mountainous terrain.
A good friend just got a 96K in 16 & 9,3X74R and loves the gun. He sold his Merkel in 16 & 7X65R to get it. Now he misses the 7X65. grin

I think 7X65R and 30R Blaser are great combo gun rounds for the average North American hunter. cool

My target drilling is a 20ga 3" and 9,3X74R 96K in IC/Mod, scoped. I'd settle for 16ga or 12. whistle grin
Posted By: Chasseur Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/06/13
Originally Posted by kutenay

I have the same gun, 12-12-9.3x74R and mine now has custom peep sights, front post, Q-rib, scope mounts and it also shoots RWS factory 286 H-Mantel and my handloads of the 286NP as well as the Speer 270 gr. bullet as yours does.

These guns are amazingly accurate, I wish I had one in 20-20-7x65R to get the weight down for climbing in BC's mountainous terrain.

I am not sure of the model, its an older East German gun (1960s I think) so I'm not sure when Merkel started making the 96K. It has those wonderful flip up iron sight blade that comes up when you switch the barrel sector to rifle cool
Posted By: akjeff Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/07/13
Here ya go Bruce. A Simson 12x12/9.3x74R. One of my favorite guns.(moved this here, as I mistakenly posted in the combo thread)

Jeff

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Alectoris Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/07/13
Originally Posted by kutenay

I want to see some pics of your 96k - especially your ghost ring peep setup. PLEASE!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/07/13
That is where that went. Just missed the boat on it. Love that 12x12x30-30. Happy hunting.
Posted By: 7X64 Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/07/13
A friend called me and said that his Uncle was not going to hunt anymore due to old age. Being that none of his Uncle's siblings wanted a firearm, once he passed...The guns would become the property of the State/Country. Germany.

I bought this Simson Suhl 12 Ga. 7X65R w/a 22 Mag Kreighoff Einstucklauf (Insert Barrel) from the Uncle and transferred it to my German Gun Card. It has a Fixed 8X56 Scope (For Night Boar Hunting). I wish it had a smaller scope but I'm not going to pay what the US 'Smiths are asking to mount a smaller scope.

I've hunted with it in Germany, Spain, Hawaii and now...Florida!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
Originally Posted by diamondjim
That is where that went. Just missed the boat on it. Love that 12x12x30-30. Happy hunting.

It just came back home, is all. I hunted with it for over 35 years, and I will for a few more now. smile
7X64

Is that a Nickel scope? Nice rig. cool
Originally Posted by akjeff
Here ya go Bruce. A Simson 12x12/9.3x74R. One of my favorite guns.(moved this here, as I mistakenly posted in the combo thread)

Jeff

[Linked Image]

Nice looking circus pony! laugh

cool
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
Always cool to see a gun make it back home. Can't wait for more pics..... cool
Posted By: 7X64 Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
Yep it's a Nickel. The scope is nice, just a bit too much magnification for daytime hunting. I'll have to do some night hunting for Coyotes with it soon. At least it will draw in enough light so I won't need illumination.
OK...

This was one of my all time favorites. I sold it to pay medical bills, and it served that purpose. It now resides in Alaska.

Sauer/Prussian/Daly sidelock/side-cock on the smaller 20ga frame in 16ga and 30-30.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This Simson went to a good friend in Las Vegas. He'll be using it in Africa someday soon. 12/12/9,3X74R with 8X56 in swing mount and a 22 mag Kreighoff einstecklauf.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 7X64 Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
That Simson looks a lot like mine.
It shot like a target rifle.
Posted By: kutenay Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
That Simson, looks just like my Merkel, except I have the smaller forend.

Mine amazed me when I first shot it, I got sub-moa three shot groups, three in a row, with the dinky little iron sights and fresh RWS 286H-mantel ammo.

I stopped there as the ammo is hard to get and mucho $$$$$ here in Canada and I wanted to get it scoped before using it more as I have done.

If, the Grouse hunting in much of BC was as good as in my youth, I would get another combo gun, smaller and lighter and hunt most of the time with it, but, given the populations of birds and cost of these guns, I cannot justify spending that kind of coin now as we are both on pensions.

I think that the Simsons, Merkels and perhaps others, maybe Mefferts, are made on the same actions produced in the same factory. I turned down a lovely Simson 12-12-7x65R, claw mounts, Hensoldt 4x and 22M. insert back in the late '80s for 3K asking price and have regretted it ever since, this is also a fine combo for BC's type of hunting.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/08/13
I think that the Simsons, Merkels and perhaps others, maybe Mefferts, are made on the same actions produced in the same factory. I turned down a lovely Simson 12-12-7x65R, claw mounts, Hensoldt 4x and 22M. insert back in the late '80s for 3K asking price and have regretted it ever since, this is also a fine combo for BC's type of hunting.

Haven't seen enough Mefferts to concur, but do agree on the Simsons and Merkel actions. I believe that one basic action is re branded with many different makers names. The 12ga Simsons I have( a 9.3x74R, and a 7x65R ) are both extremely accurate. They're a blast to hunt with, and very interesting to pull them apart, inspect the innards, and see how they function mechanically.

Jeff
Simsons were Merkels were Simsons were Merkels

They came out of different doors of the same factory. wink

They were also called Fortunas at one time during fights over trade names. This one was called a Fortuna, but it was just a Simson.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/12/13
This is a drilling I have had for many years and shot some but not much lately. It is a 16X16X8x57R360. It doesn't have a maker's name, but has PrimaKrupStahl on top of the shotgun barrles. It has nitro proofs, horn trigger guard and butt plate, and a shell holder in the butt stock. I bought it as a wall hanger, but got interested in shooting it when I found out I could reload the rifle ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 7X64 Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/12/13
That's nice! Glad to see that it's no longer just a wall hanger.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Show us your drillings! - 03/23/13
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is a drilling I have had for many years and shot some but not much lately. It is a 16X16X8x57R360. It doesn't have a maker's name, but has PrimaKrupStahl on top of the shotgun barrles. It has nitro proofs, horn trigger guard and butt plate, and a shell holder in the butt stock. I bought it as a wall hanger, but got interested in shooting it when I found out I could reload the rifle ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What a grand old drilling!! cool cool

My Tribel was 8X57/360 originally. It had plenty of meat to allow re-chambering to 8X57JR, and the gun shoots well to the original sights, too. That was a win-win.

The 8X57/360 is fine for close in deer hunting. It is a lot like a 30-30, effectively.
© 24hourcampfire