Home
Posted By: 79inpa savage 24 .22 over 20 accuracy - 01/29/14
How accurate are the savage .22lr over 20 gauge combo guns?
mines skwerl head accurate. 20g patterns well also.
They are pretty good for an inexpensive(well, back in the day) utility gun in both .22 LR and .22 Mag and while there are exceptions, generally the older ones that have the entire rifle barrel brazed to the shotgun barrel are little more accurate as the barrel is stiffer. But my son has one with split barrels and the barrel clamp/sight at the end of the barrels in 22 Mag over 20, and it's accurate as can be.

Lousy accuracy in a savage 24 can usually be attributed to a lousy trigger and if you have such a trigger, having it worked on by a good smith will make a big difference.

Be forwarned that both barrels RARELY shoot to the same point of impact and that there is no barrel regulation adjustment for it.
Don't have a 20, but the rifle barrel of my .410/.22 WRM 24D is even more accurate than my other most accurate .22WRM, a custom TC Contender carbine. It is the older combined barrel version, circa 1961. Trigger pull had to be worked on to attain this accuracy, tho.
I used to have one in the late 90ies. It was as reliable as a cat: if I adjusted the sights for the bullet on friday, it would hit a foot to the left on saturday. Soon I got rid of it, and never missed it.

Pete
I also had a .22LR over 20 gauge, and the .22 barrel was so inaccurate that I doubt if I could have hit a squirrel in a vital spot at 25 yards.

I guess there are good ones and bad ones.
Had one in the late 70's bought new when I was about 14. Worst firearm purchase I ever made. Grooved for tip off mounts but it was suggested not to shoot the shotgun barrel with a scope installed (good advice).

Shot gun kicked like a mule for a 20 ga and the .22 rifle barrel was inaccurate.

Sold it to a classmate before I turned 16.

Dan
I have 410/22lr combo with a 4X Weaver on it and it shoots almost as well as my Brno #1. Very fun gun on a walk in the woods. Lkie the Gentlemen say "the trigger needs work".
Originally Posted by 79inpa
How accurate are the savage .22lr over 20 gauge combo guns?

My 24 DL is very accurate. It is .22 WMR over 20 gauge though.

It had a good trigger when I got it.

Changing to a rear peep and Firesight front made it easier to shoot for me at least..
Must be hit and miss (no pun intended). I have a .22WRM/20ga my father-in-law left with me last fall. Haven't tested different ammo in it, but WW 40 grain scattered around 4" at 75 yds with a 3-9 scope aboard.
Originally Posted by tmitch
Must be hit and miss (no pun intended). I have a .22WRM/20ga my father-in-law left with me last fall. Haven't tested different ammo in it, but WW 40 grain scattered around 4" at 75 yds with a 3-9 scope aboard.

I tried to keep a 1.5x scope on my .22 WMR/20 ga and I never figured a way to keep it from moving around on me.
I used a B-Square air gun mount with the full length clamp. Seems to hold even when using slugs in the shotgun barrel. I got about 6" group at 75 yds with Rem Foster style slugs.
I have an "early" .22Mag/20ga with "solid" barrels and a later .22LR/.410 with separated barrels. Both rifle barrels are one hole groupers @ 25 yards with ammo they like and both shotgun barrels hit to point of aim. The Warne steel rimfire rings are the only rings I've found that have enough bite to hold tight on that shallow groove and I've had no movement, even with 3" 20ga loads.
© 24hourcampfire