Home
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Savage 42 ??? - 03/17/15
I have been wanting to buy one of the new model 42's in 22 mag. / .410. I want it for a knock around gun for my farm and I have not seen a lot of talk about them on here recently. It will cost me about $375 to get into one so I wanted to see what the consensus was on this new design. I have an old model 24 that I like but it's hard to find any of those in great shape for this price. Your opinions would be appreciated.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/17/15
They are uglier than homemade sin, but everything I've heard from the folks who have gotten them is positive.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/17/15
I have seen them in "as new" condition in the used gun racks for $250. I like the Savage 24s, but can generate any particular desire for a 42 and wouldn't be surprised if they weren't selling very well.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/17/15
I agree they ain't exactly beauties. Coming from Savage I would guess they were fairly good quality ans surely accurate. I have not seen a used one on auctions or in gun stores. It's hard to find any good selection of used guns and fair pricing here in Texas. Thanks.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/24/15
I bought one new & I was totally underwhelmed. It was probably the cheapest made firearm that I have ever held in my hands. I could pull the hammer back and it would not stay cocked because the trigger return spring did not have enough tension. I adjusted the spring & got it working properly.

The only reason I bought it was because it was on clearance , less than $300 OTD. Regular price was a little over $400 OTD.

I sold it without ever firing it.

There is no excuse for those guns costing as much as they do.

Mike
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/24/15
With modern machining and techniques they should be able to build decent 24Vs for a retail of around that. The problem it would seem is a very limited market, making tooling up not cost effective.

The 42s are ... well ... uhhh ... sick
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: Savage 42 ??? - 03/25/15
That's kind of what expected you all to say. It's a shame how these turned out. My old 24 is well made. I had a Stevens .22 mag. / 20 gauge that someone gave me as a gift long ago and it was pretty crappy quality. Had a plastic button to break it open. I remember it being a 20. At the time I didn't know a 22 mag and 22 lr had different size cases. I wondered why the 22 lr cases ruptured every time I fired them in it. Such is youth. This is a real shame because I have a lot if newer Savage rifles that are very good quality and very accurate.
Posted By: gunship Re: Savage 42 ??? - 05/11/15
You might want to check out the chiappa double badge or there other combo gun designed like the old Springfield M6 survival rifle. I have the double badger in.22 LR over .410 and love it! It folds in half and is easily slid under the seat of a truck or thrown in a backpack.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Savage 42 ??? - 05/12/15
I bought a Savage 24 in 22LR/410 and ran a 22 Magnum finish reamer into the 22 LR barrel. Works fine and I can shoot all the 22 LR ammo that I want with a chamber insert from MCACE.

Savage made the 24s under the Westpoint brand as their model 242 and, if you come across them, they generally sell for about 1/2 what a Savage branded gun sells for.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Savage 42 ??? - 05/12/15
Welcome to the forum. Just don't admit you know me. whistle
Posted By: Bugger Re: Savage 42 ??? - 05/20/15
Originally Posted by luv2safari

The 42s are ... well ... uhhh ... sick

Double down on that one.

I'd like a 30-30 and 20 gauge in a model 24... Better wait a while...
Posted By: humdinger Re: Savage 42 ??? - 05/22/15
Williams gun sight has some 24's in their used gun section, but they all push $500.
I saw a used 42 at metro gun & pawn in Richfield MN and I believe they sell on the auction sites too.

Good luck. I have a 12 ga 223 mod 24 for my truck gun and thought of getting a 20 ga 22 or 22 mag and I pucker at the prices too.
© 24hourcampfire