Home
Posted By: castnblast What a drilling is for - 11/22/16
Yesterday I was sneaking along pretending I was quiet when a whitetail doe broke out of some logging slash and crossed just 50 meters or so in front of me. I flipped off the safety and scanned behind her, and sure enough, a nice buck was running right behind. So I swung the crosshairs along his body and touched off just as I swung ahead. Put a bullet behind his ear.
On the walk back to camp a grouse was scratching around under a spruce. So I flipped up the rifle sight and plinked it with a .22 magnum solid. We got a glimpse of a wolf near camp later but didn't have time for a shot.
I really love the versatility of this set up, a Krieghoff Trumpf dural drilling 16x16/7x57R with .22 mag insert barrel and Kahles 3-9 scope in claw mounts. I can hunt anything in our province with that combination. Handles like a lively birdgun and has the precision of a good rifle. It would be interesting to take this gun on an African hunt some day and really see how versatile it is.
It was a good morning, and made even better when my wife and a buddy joined me to drag the deer out of the bush. We had venison tenderloins for supper and a grouse stir fry for lunch. Life is good!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krupp Re: What a drilling is for - 11/23/16
Impressive ! THX for sharing.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: What a drilling is for - 11/23/16
Waidmannsheil

cool cool
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: What a drilling is for - 11/23/16
Your a fabulous shot to have as you wrote above:

"a whitetail doe broke out of some logging slash and crossed just 50 meters or so in front of me. I flipped off the safety and scanned behind her, and sure enough, a nice buck was running right behind. So I swung the crosshairs along his body and touched off just as I swung ahead. Put a bullet behind his ear."

You shot a running buck behind it's ear as it ran at 50 meters!

Posted By: castnblast Re: What a drilling is for - 11/24/16
I do a lot of wing shooting, some of it with that same drilling. It handles like a good shotgun, and deer run slower than birds fly, so I didn't think the shot was too risky. I led him just a tad too much, ( 2x faster bullet, 1/2 slower target than shooting a flying bird with the shot barrel) but it all worked out OK.
Posted By: SKane Re: What a drilling is for - 11/24/16
castnblast,

Per always - well done!
Nice shooting, and, beautiful buck!
That is just too cool!!! Excellent!!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: What a drilling is for - 11/25/16
That bucks neck and head is bigger than our deer here in Florida -great shooting !
Posted By: Troutnut Re: What a drilling is for - 11/25/16
Great buck and great story . Gotta love those big northern bucks.
Congratulations
Posted By: akjeff Re: What a drilling is for - 11/26/16
Very nice! 🍻

Jeff
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: What a drilling is for - 11/26/16
That's just perfect bud. Very nice day, game and gun.
Posted By: kellory Re: What a drilling is for - 11/26/16
Nicely done, and wonderful (if expensive) guns. They come in a very wide selection of combinations. Too bad the local laws here would have gotten me arrested for doing exactly what you discribed.
Here, (Ohio) no second weapon is allowed while deer hunting, and the mere PRESENCE of a .22 spent shell is enough for major problems. (I am trying to get this stupid rule changed).
I learned to hunt with the savage .22lr/.410ga, and i have a great appreciation of combination weapons.
Posted By: rost495 Re: What a drilling is for - 11/27/16
not having a 22 empty somewhere around me any time of the year would be really tough to do.

But some states have ridiculous laws.

I could never hunt Mexico, because I'd never have a vehicle that I could know had no other ammo or cases in it...
© 24hourcampfire