Home
Posted By: battered how to speak australians - 09/05/14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-al0xSFJo
Posted By: eh76 Re: how to speak australians - 09/05/14

Too funny! laugh

Hilarious........
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: how to speak australians - 09/25/14
Younknow your culture sucks when even the hindu dotheads can rag on you...thats funny
Posted By: rattler Re: how to speak australians - 09/26/14
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about....good example is when he asked me if i ate capsicum when he was fixing dinner one night...i guess i gave him an odd look and asked "what do you call capsicum?" turns out he was talking about bell peppers, i figured he was talking about peppers of some sort cause im a nerd and knew Capsicum is the genus that peppers, hot and bell, belong to.....but had no clue anyone in the english speaking world called a bell pepper anything but a pepper...
1. A Skooby is a Schooner which is a 15oz beer.
2. A Pony or Pot is a 10oz beer (Old blokes drink them) (Baby boomers are not old blokes)
3. The Thunderbox and long Drop are outside dunnies,
4. A Drongo, F---Wit, turd burgler, wacker, ice hole, and a dozen more is a silly person or someone who handles the truth carelessly.

There is a great book on Aussie Slang put out in the 90's authoried by John Blackman. HAS a lot of stuff I never heard of and shows how territorial Aussieland is, particularly between Sydney and Melbun.
Posted By: Craigster Re: how to speak australians - 09/27/14
So is it "poofer" or "poofter". Or both?
Originally Posted by Craigster

Poofter
Pillow biter
shirt lifter
And a dozen more.
Posted By: Pete E Re: how to speak australians - 09/29/14
Originally Posted by rattler
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about...

Its funny to see that even today that so many Colonials struggle with the Queens English! grin
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: how to speak australians - 09/29/14
Originally Posted by Pete E
its interesting some times, spent 3 weeks with AussieLad and every so often he and i would have to decide what each other were talking about...

Its funny to see that even today that so many Colonials struggle with the Queens English! grin

We ahitcanned the queen. Why would we want her English
Posted By: 5sdad Re: how to speak australians - 09/30/14
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.
Posted By: zeissman Re: how to speak australians - 10/02/14
Yeah, I remember as a kid in the 50s early 60's at the Saturday afternoon matinee before the movie started we used to hear "God Save the Queen" and be expected to stand. Not many of us did. This was in NZ and thankfully the ridiculous custom got knocked on the head long ago.

Posted By: zeissman Re: how to speak australians - 10/02/14
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Poofter
Pillow biter
shirt lifter
And a dozen more.

Including the aforementioned "turd burgler".
Posted By: g5m Re: how to speak australians - 10/04/14
Funny!
Herd a new Yankee word yesterday for the first time.
The word "Chassis" in Orstrayleyanne is pronounced "Shazzy"
My American linguists pronounced it "Chassie" as we both struggled a bit on that.

Another one is Aussie, Americans can't say it, they say "Osscie" when we all know it is the same as Ozzie Osbourne or Ozzy and and Harriet.

Interesting stuff!
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My father-in-law was in Australia on leave during WWII. He and some other soldiers were at a movie house where "God Save the King" was played prior to the movie. When the GIs remained sitting, one of the locals informed them that they were hearing "God Save the King" and that they should stand up. One of the GIs suggested that the King be known in a Biblically carnal sense. Things got a bit out of hand at that point. I don't believe that the movie was ever seen.

I doubt that the movie was important after that clash of cultures!
Posted By: dan_oz Re: how to speak australians - 10/06/14
Herd a new Yankee word yesterday for the first time.
The word "Chassis" in Orstrayleyanne is pronounced "Shazzy"
My American linguists pronounced it "Chassie" as we both struggled a bit on that.

It is a French word, originally, and pronounced something like "shazzy" in most places, not just Australia.

I wonder how those GIs would have felt had an Australian, guest in your country, publicly refused to stand for the anthem, and then said something disparaging about your head of state? It would have been seen as bad manners, I suspect, and rightly.

FWIW though, it has been many decades since God Save the King, or God Save the Queen, has been our anthem.
There's a bit of regional variation in Australian too, though not as much as in the UK or US. Some slight variations in accent: the Adelaide pronunciation of words like dance, chance, and salt as "dahnce", "chahnce" and "sawlt" for example, or Melburnians pronunciation of "el" as "al" - "Walcome to Malbourne".

There are variations in vocabulary too. In Sydney you go swimming in "swimmers" or "cossies", while in Victoria you'd probably call them "togs", and in Perth "bathers", for example. The Macquarie Dictionary has a "Word Map" (https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/word/map/) showing numerous examples.

Posted By: Seafire Re: how to speak australians - 10/07/14
Originally Posted by Pete E

The three years I lived in Britain as a kid, I was the only family member that could translate it into American English... that took 6 months to learn... but I did good...

now we had a few Irish and Scottish folks in the neighborhood.. they took a little longer to be able to understand... and of course everyone over there, thought the American terms for things was "bloody daft.."
Posted By: Seafire Re: how to speak australians - 10/07/14

We use to go to the movies in town living off base in England...

They'd play God Save the Queen, and we American kids would stand and sing, " My Country Tis of Thee...."

The screen would show images and the music, but not the words...

We'd do it because the Limeys would get all pissed off and start yelling " you bloody yanks sit down and STFU!".. which just inspired us to sing louder.....

just us and some old duffers in there on Saturday afternoon for the 1 PM showing...

The Theatre was owned by an Aussie, who use to get a big kick out of pissing off the English...so he would seldom tell us to sit down and shut up...
Posted By: B_Lance Re: how to speak australians - 10/13/14
Australia is a must see...not so much Sydney but the outback areas are pretty unique. They say Australians have a "Can Do" attitude much the same as the US was back in the 50's and I've seen it first hand. Not a bunch of whiners like in the US right now thats for sure- its refreshing.
Originally Posted by B_Lance
Australia is a must see...not so much Sydney but the outback areas are pretty unique. They say Australians have a "Can Do" attitude much the same as the US was back in the 50's and I've seen it first hand. Not a bunch of whiners like in the US right now thats for sure- its refreshing.

I can promise you an Aussie "can do" attitude isn't necessarily good for a career path in the US, particularly in the corporate sector. Takes a while to find where you fit in and that is usually in the privately owned segment of industry where they actually like performance and making money.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: how to speak australians - 10/17/14
My first exposure to guys from the Land of Oz wuz a bunch of Aussie Grunts in Vietnam. Too busy with "business" to get a lot more out of it. SECOND encounter!!!! grin grin Bangkok Thailand. In a bar. Had just hired my girl for the week when a bunch of Aussie Sailors stumbled in. After a few Thai beers (strong stuff) they just got up and started fighting. EVERYBODY got dragged in! grin Then jus as suddenly, they stopped fighting, put the tables and chairs back up, started drinking again and everybody wuz best friends again. grin grin
Posted By: btm_54 Re: how to speak australians - 12/16/14

According to Sir Les Patterson.
Chocolate cha cha artist is the correct term.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnECsAf-WY
That video, is good I'm telling you.

lol
Posted By: eh76 Re: how to speak australians - 12/17/14
laugh laugh laugh

Posted By: rattler Re: how to speak australians - 12/17/14
Posted By: dingo Re: how to speak australians - 12/17/14

You might not realize this but Sir Les Patterson and Dame Edna Everidge are one of the same.

And Barry Humphries does a mighty fine job as both.

Originally Posted by dan_oz

I wonder how those GIs would have felt had an Australian, guest in your country, publicly refused to stand for the anthem, and then said something disparaging about your head of state? It would have been seen as bad manners, I suspect, and rightly.

FWIW though, it has been many decades since God Save the King, or God Save the Queen, has been our anthem.
I would shake the man's hand because I guarantee that no Aussie could possibly say anything more disparaging about our head of state than I do.
Posted By: johnfox Re: how to speak australians - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I would shake the man's hand because I guarantee that no Aussie could possibly say anything more disparaging about our head of state than I do.

laugh
Posted By: RJY66 Re: how to speak australians - 12/20/14

Ain't that the truth! I'd probably get along fine with any Australian who tabs our illustrious leader with with "Drongo, F---Wit, turd burgler, wacker, ice hole, and a dozen more" because as best I can tell they all fit! Heck, I might adopt some of that verbiage because in the last few years I've worn the American equivalents out when referring to our "head of state". Right off the bat I notice that Obongo rhymes with Drongo! laugh

Posted By: Okanagan Re: how to speak australians - 12/20/14
My all time favorite expression came from a white haired Aussie who was my host in Sydney for a few days. He told a couple of us about a brazen attempt a company had made to cheat him in a business deal. My response was something along the line that it is hard to believe how stupid people can be.

"Spit me death and hope to die in a rat trap, it's true!" he replied.

Posted By: sandpit Re: how to speak australians - 01/03/15
got any single fat gurls?im wanting one of them 6 cylinder hemi engines in 265ci with an old GM 3-71 blower on top.iif the fat gurls can cook mite take one of thems
Posted By: Pashooter Re: how to speak australians - 01/04/15
I don't know those boys are pretty creative but i would buy them beer and compare notes on disparaging remarks re obongo.

Posted By: cra1948 Re: how to speak australians - 01/08/15

When I got out of the Navy in '72 I stayed in the Philippines for a year or so. For a while I had an guy from Australia (another young, expat SOF) as a room mate. He'd emigrated from the UK with his family to Australia as a kid. One thing he told me was that, at the movie theater (I'm sorry, theatre) in Australia, everyone would reverently stand for GSTK. When he'd been a kid in Liverpool, they'd all just hoot and holler through the whole thing.
In Oz, the "Theatre" is called the "Pictures" as it is in the UK.

You never hear anyone calling it a theatre.

Just an FYI.
And the work "Outback", it an American phrase. I never heard as Aussie use it. Thus, Oz now has the Outback restaurant which made its debut in Sept 2002 and they flew in a plane load of yanks to start it up as no Aussie ever heard of a "Blooming Onion" let alone an Outback restaurant.

At least they could get Aussie beer there I guess, which is a huge let down here in the US.
Posted By: Pete E Re: how to speak australians - 01/11/15
And the work "Outback", it an American phrase. I never heard as Aussie use it.

So what term do you guys use for the outback then?
When Aussies gout out in the scrub we call it the bush, no matter what the terrain is.

PS: We don't drink Fosters either. It is cats piss.
The Fosters sold in the US is made in the US and not the same recipe.
We took a 10 day cruise up the east coast of Australia. The cabin next to us had 2 40-50 y/o ladies and their mom. Mom was limping around with a cane.

One of the ladies finally told us, "Mum fell in the wheelie bin and hurt her bum". Translation-Mom fell in the trash bin and hurt her butt.

"Do you jive"? Translation-Do you dance?

UH-60 Instructor Pilot course, Aussie exchange pilot giving a class on power management, "If you drop a dong...." Translation-If you lose an engine....

Just a few of the many language barriers, but those seem to stand out with me.

Posted By: Pete E Re: how to speak australians - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
We took a 10 day cruise up the east coast of Australia. The cabin next to us had 2 40-50 y/o ladies and their mom. Mom was limping around with a cane.

One of the ladies finally told us, "Mum fell in the wheelie bin and hurt her bum". Translation-Mom fell in the trash bin and hurt her butt.

"Do you jive"? Translation-Do you dance?

UH-60 Instructor Pilot course, Aussie exchange pilot giving a class on power management, "If you drop a dong...." Translation-If you lose an engine....

Just a few of the many language barriers, but those seem to stand out with me.

Do you guys have wheelie bins in the US? I'm trying to imagine how a little old lady managed to fall into one!
We do.

Honestly, once we got an explanation of what a wheelie bin was, neither one of us asked how she managed to fall in the thing. We later found out that both of us were thinking if we heard the story, we may bust out laughing. Sad to say that.

Not laughing at the Aussies, but really, how do you fall in? We had a good time talking with those 3 ladies, we all had a lot of laughs, and I dont think I could have stopped myself from laughing had they told the story. Dont know if they would have liked it if we laughed.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: how to speak australians - 01/12/15
Kilometers are measured in tinnys????
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: how to speak australians - 01/12/15
Food is tucker??? All young women have the same name ____Sheila?
Chickens are chocks? Bush is a few bushes?..
Couple of corrections needed.......

An engine is a donk not a dong.
A chicken is a chook.
Carry on.
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

This one needs explanation too.
Donk, sorry, been about 13 years.
Originally Posted by johnfox

laugh

In America our current head of state, President Obama, believes himself to be a Monarch... As opposed to Elizabeth II, who actually is a Monarch
And the work "Outback", it an American phrase. I never heard as Aussie use it. Thus, Oz now has the Outback restaurant which made its debut in Sept 2002 and they flew in a plane load of yanks to start it up as no Aussie ever heard of a "Blooming Onion" let alone an Outback restaurant.

At least they could get Aussie beer there I guess, which is a huge let down here in the US.

The word "outback" was known about before the chain restaurant "Outback Steakhouse" was started in the States. Paul Hogan's take on Oz speech was quite popular Stateside in the 1980's.

As for rural America we Yanks borrowed the word, "boondocks" from the Philippines. Also acceptable is "out in the sticks". The origins of that expression are a mystery...

Aussie entertainers have been immigrating here since at least the 1930's. Some genuine and some from the UK via Australia. Unlike some Brits, like Piers Morgan, Aussies have always been welcome Stateside.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: how to speak australians - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

The Aussies I worked with, measured kilometers by the amount of beer cans they could consume during that trip. For ex. 25 kilometers took one tinny of beer. 2 tinnys was 50 kilometers. Not sure if that is standardized throughout Australia.
American author Edward Abbey had the same measuring system for distance driven

The Aussies I worked with, measured kilometers by the amount of beer cans they could consume during that trip. For ex. 25 kilometers took one tinny of beer. 2 tinnys was 50 kilometers. Not sure if that is stan
dardized throughout Australia.

Yep
4 schooners (15oz glass or 13 oz can) to the hour.
Paul Hogan made a silly movie on a borrowed $2 million from investors.
It made him a Billionaire. He used to be a painter on the Sydney Harbour Bridge which takes a year to paint and then they start again.

The Outback commercials he did for Subaru were made in Kalifornia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hogan

He may be silly but he's been very successful as a entertainer according to his Wiki biography.
Madonna isn't all that talented either. But look how successful she's been
Posted By: johnfox Re: how to speak australians - 01/15/15

A chicken is a chook.
Carry on.

A dong has a completely different meaning... laugh
Originally Posted by johnfox

A chicken is a chook.
Carry on.

A dong has a completely different meaning... laugh

It sure do!
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

He may be silly but he's been very successful as a entertainer according to his Wiki biography.

Oh...he's not silly. Never said that. He knew his market very well.
Posted By: dingo Re: how to speak australians - 01/16/15
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Oh...he's not silly. Never said that. He knew his market very well.

That may be true, but I think John Cornell is largely reponsible for Paul Hogan's success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cornell
Hogan was spotted in a talent quest and originally did a story break up segment on A Current Affair when Wilissee ran it.

It was after that that Cornell got involved and the Paul Hogan shows commenced in the 70's but you are right about Cornell being the drive behind the outfit.
Posted By: rem141r Re: how to speak australians - 01/19/15
owl ta spek alstralian
Originally Posted by rem141r
owl ta spek alstralian

Man, I was gonna say I'd like to buy you a beer, but seems like you've had a couple of six packs already grin
Posted By: dingo Re: how to speak australians - 01/19/15
owl ta spek alstralian

Man, I was gonna say I'd like to buy you a beer, but seems like you've had a couple of six packs already grin

And had a few cones as well.
Posted By: rem141r Re: how to speak australians - 01/20/15
i get an alstralian accent after a few tubes of neck oil.
Well I would suggest that you should probably stop doing the "neck oil". Taking drugs will lead to brain damage if you are not careful. You may then recover from your alsatian accent (apologies to dog owners).
Posted By: johnfox Re: how to speak australians - 01/20/15
i get an alstralian accent after a few tubes of neck oil.

Haven't heard that for around 30yrs.. smile
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: how to speak australians - 01/20/15
Hogan was spotted in a talent quest and originally did a story break up segment on A Current Affair when Wilissee ran it.

It was after that that Cornell got involved and the Paul Hogan shows commenced in the 70's but you are right about Cornell being the drive behind the outfit.

Ah, me old mate Strop !
Posted By: dingo Re: how to speak australians - 01/20/15

Yeah, Strop was a bit of a retard IMO. Then agian, some thought he was funny.
And he was married to Delvene Delaney, who also appeared on the show
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: how to speak australians - 01/20/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: battered Re: how to speak australians - 02/12/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf4Kdfkqzpo
Posted By: rattler Re: how to speak australians - 02/13/15
funny
Posted By: Pete E Re: how to speak australians - 02/13/15
Originally Posted by battered

laugh laugh
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: how to speak australians - 02/16/15
I don't know much about Australians or how to speak their language but, they turn out some amazing musicians that sure speak to me. This very evening, I just got back from a very special "home concert" featuring Rick Price. Rick is a talented Australian singer-songwriter (Ballad, Blues with a touch of Gospel) and a musician with an incredible voice. I saw him several years ago when he opened for Tommy Emmanuel (also Australian and probably the most talented guitarist I've ever seen). Rick put on quite a show here in Oklahoma City. Then, there is Anthony Snape…another talented musician form Down Under.
Posted By: battered Re: how to speak australians - 02/19/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRaj2PTnfoU
Posted By: eh76 Re: how to speak australians - 02/20/15
Posted By: battered Re: how to speak australians - 02/20/15
He is a funny bloke Alex........I will be watching him next month with my wife live
Posted By: las Re: how to speak australians - 04/08/15
Aussies are all right, from the few I've met (especially the wimmin!).

Now, them sheep-shagging Kiwis might take a pint or two to get mellowed out...

Probably the Coriolis effect. smile
Posted By: battered Re: how to speak australians - 06/12/15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0hsmTp608U
Posted By: battered Re: how to speak australians - 06/12/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blp2EqYZhN8
© 24hourcampfire