Home
Posted By: wabigoon Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
Too high for me, Your neighborhood?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
Mennonites here keep running it up.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
$10,000 plus in Iowa. Think it will come down?
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
~$15,000 per around here, give or take.

One of my friends sold off the last of his at 14.5 last year, and he moved it the first day it was up on the market.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
One Mennonite sold out to another Mennonite for $25,000 an acre, a 30 acre plot. I'm sure it had several buildings, although nothing fancy, and was set up as a produce farm. They'd have to sell a lot of tomatoes to pay for it.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
8,000 in North east Ohio.

Too much for me.

-Jake
Posted By: pointer Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/10/24
Most recent auction near town here with for over $25K/acre for a 158ac piece. Gonna be used for farm ground, but the buyer is not a farmer. Runs a plactics shop/company. It's good ground (silt loam soil, relatively flat, tiled in places, etc) but not nearly the best around.

Be interesting to see how that affects the next sales.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/14/24
There's no telling if someone wants a piece of ground more than you. Two of us wanted a farm close by ours and I said the he'll with it first. It's hard to out bid a farmer who's number 3 on the welfare (subsidies) list in county. From the prices posted farming is a lot more profitable in the Midwest.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
$10,000 plus in Iowa. Think it will come down?
Maybe 10 years ago,, currently in my part of iowa running from $18-22k for farm land hunting land say 30% junk land 70% timber $6k plus and 10 acre tracts to build on $12-15k
Posted By: LouisB Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/17/24
Does a farmer honestly believe that they can ever pay off farmland at current prices?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/18/24
Originally Posted by LouisB
Does a farmer honestly believe that they can ever pay off farmland at current prices?

I recall in the 70s in west central Ks land prices went crazy. My dad wanted to buy some. He kept saying, “what am I missing, the average production of this land won’t make the interest payment.” He lost out on a couple land purchases. Several years later, some of the buyers of this expensive land filed bankruptcy and had to take a job in town to survive. I guess the math doesn’t lie.
Having said that, if someone can pay cash and get a decent cash flow and appreciation on land over many years, these high prices might work for the wealthy people.
Posted By: andy57 Re: Farmland Prices? - 01/19/24
several 80 ac tracts sold this past fall for 23,000 an acre here
© 24hourcampfire