Home
Busted lift pipe again, on my irrigation pump,....damn thing took off the end of a finger last Sunday AM,
Link: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11145821/Vet_Medicine#Post11145821

The LOW, built on the fly, provisional setup I've been using to pull that pump just wasn't going to cut it, in terms of dealing with current challenge. A proper tower is going to be needed.
So, last Sunday evening......
[Linked Image]
Materials hauled in, and gear laid out for an early start
[Linked Image]

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday were pretty short, in terms of this project, ...I was helping neighbors with kidding, and spent a lot of time lining out new lift pipe couplings, and vetting this dumb, shortened finger. Got in good afternoon shifts in CRAZY wind,...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got busy enough that I just quit taking pictures, the two "sides" were superimposed on one another, and than the gantry used to lift spread em' to a finished 8.5*. Transverse and base all welded off ( enough to hold it together.) Thursday just vanished in a storm of fussy details. This (currently) 22" tower will be "finished" where it stands, prior to lifting it onto a 8' High structural steel well house. My Neighbor brought his bigger machine over Thursday evening, and in a howling Sonora Chihuahua gale we used the forks on his and my smaller machine to tote it out, and jockey it upright. It was carried to the pad on the bigger machine's forks.

[Linked Image]

TBC

Just finished hanging a nice old Aluminum bodied 1 Ton Coffing Chain Fall

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's a few lift pipe and sucker rod handling tools to noodle out , and than craft up,....and I'll be ready to pull this problem plagued system, and fix it for once and for all,....something the "engineer" that built it has thus far failed to do.

Once this tower gets some more reinforcement ( Transverse bracing ), and is lifted another 8 feet, I'll be able to pull either the 1" string downhole sucker rod solar pump, or the conventional 1 1/4" 220VAC Gruenfos. Getting the tower RIGHT, and hell for stout is all about later coming in with a home built rotary table, and using old school mud rotary, and Kelly bar technique to deepen (4"below the existing 6"), service, re screen and rejuvenate this very good well. Gota do this myself,....bringing in a well service company is cost prohibitive, and saving to buy some Aloe Vera plants, I have to pinch every penny.

[Linked Image]
Well that's pretty spiffy!
Bob, one side / minor objective here is to see a sign out in my lane reading, CAUTION FRACKING IN PROGRESS.
We're than going to put a smoke generator up, and play LOUD rig noises,...a small gearmotor will turn a mocked up kelly, and we'll flare the thing occasionally.
That should keep some of my "greeny" neighbors wondering.

Kidding aside,....I've lucked onto a small cache of schedule 10 3" fire main ( 3" being the OD). The stuff sings like Freya's sword,....GOOD and pretty old American ASTM spec.
Welds and cuts beautifully, and is PLENTY strong enough for the light work I want to do,...4" is the minimum that I'll consider dropping below the existing bottom, and with any luck I may well be able to get away with 5".

We're hinging it, so's to be able to lower it out of the way should bringing in a pump rig or a service rig be required.

GTC
Nice!

Looks quite a bit stouter than my pressed out, galvanized windmill tower... wink
Barry, there's a pretty interesting old character over my way that pretty much grew up in the windmill well game, his grandson now running the pump service company, while he tinkers, and hangs out on his fine little ranch. He's been a GREAT mentor and coach, and we have an awful lotta' fun noodling out problems and inventing stuff.
We were just discussing the lighter gauge towers, and how it's a fairly risky proposition to use em' for pulling a heavier string. Absolute BASTIDS to climb and try and sit on, too.

Today's quorum decided that 8' will be the height of the base
"Box / Well House,....yielding a 30' (above grade) finished installation. I've got an old Garwood winch off my duece and a half, and am looking at converting it into a little rotary table, so's to deepen my existing bore hole, and put in a new screen.
Old stock tank for a mud tank,a half decent swivel, and off to the races.

GTC
My friend, you continually impress me with your knowledge and skills!

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
My friend, you continually impress me with your knowledge and skills!

Ed

And with only 9.5 fingers.

What are you irrigating? I don't recognize those trees.
One more question, what are you going to use to set the nacelle?
Originally Posted by kingston

laugh

We can't tell you.

You'd have to drive out west to find the answer. smile
We're hinging it, so's to be able to lower it out of the way should bringing in a pump rig or a service rig be required.

Wish that I was physically able to help you. I do have a little experience with water wells. I also used to be quite good at fetching things. miles
The bodily excrement hits the turbine today.
See, I've had ongoing problem's with Simple Pump's lift pipe.
Started off with their original sched 80 1" ....9' sticks glued coupler one end. The damn things failed,...I'll not go into the gory details,...So, at some expense (and after a fishing episode induced by a failed glue joint,) that lift pipe string was replaced with SP's latest greatest "Formed Bell End" sched 120. Repeated repairs to THOSE joints have been required.

This AM, the entire string is hanging in the hole suspended from 5/16" fiberglass sucker rod, a joint having not only failed and induced downhole leakage, but rather SEPARATED entirely. Failure of one of the epoxy / methacrylate bonded joints in that S-rod spell catastrphe,...e.g. another fishing episode.

Spent yesterday building tools to GENTLY clamp that fiberglas Vicegrip Chain Tongs, Delrin, Plastic Welder, Mechanic's wire,....etc. I'll get a few photos later.
Worked over the swivel on the Coffing Fall, and cobbled up a 13 Lb. headache ball. Will have an aux single block, and another 4 part block to hold things during a breakout that I STILL have not quite got planned, and one that's going to pretty much happen in progress,....tool and tackle wise. It IS nice having the shop right across the yard, in that respect.

I'm not doing anything'till I get at least 1/2 a pot of coffee under my belt.

GTC

Friend's have a variety of pickers, manlifts, pole trucks and cranes.
I'm hoping to have my homebuilt spooled up out of light enough components to be able to ass. the thing topside.
Won't be running a conventional setup, should have titled thread "Water Well Drrick / Wind GENERATOR Tower.\.
The "Flange" topside is 1/2 of one of center of one of those big old Sat TV antennas, and it's companion flange is sitting in the shop, awaiting a swivel mounted 90 * spur gear drive. The drives horiz shaft will carry a smallish turbine, and via a helical flex couplings, the vert. pillow block supported shaft will drive down to just above roof level of the well house. If the right C.V. setup can be figured out, the shaft will parallel right along one of the tower legs, clear of the well service tackle. At lower level suitable gearing will be driving scavenged / salvaged Leese Neville 24VDC Piggyback Alternators off Mil. Vehicles,.....more zots to dump into the LCB bank. I've got lots of aluminum tubing in stock,....the whole generator drive system will be built with the emphasis on LIGHT.

GTC

Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh

We can't tell you.

You'd have to drive out west to find the answer. smile

You better mean it, I'm the kind of guy that'll show up on your doorstep with a tree identification guide and a Labrador Retriever.

grin
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I'm hoping to have my homebuilt spooled up out of light enough components to be able to ass. the thing topside.
Won't be running a conventional setup, should have titled thread "Water Well Drrick / Wind GENERATOR Tower.\.
The "Flange" topside is 1/2 of one of center of one of those big old Sat TV antennas, and it's companion flange is sitting in the shop, awaiting a swivel mounted 90 * spur gear drive. The drives horiz shaft will carry a smallish turbine, and via a helical flex couplings, the vert. pillow block supported shaft will drive down to just above roof level of the well house. If the right C.V. setup can be figured out, the shaft will parallel right along one of the tower legs, clear of the well service tackle. At lower level suitable gearing will be driving scavenged / salvaged Leese Neville 24VDC Piggyback Alternators off Mil. Vehicles,.....more zots to dump into the LCB bank. I've got lots of aluminum tubing in stock,....the whole generator drive system will be built with the emphasis on LIGHT.

GTC

Hum, centering that shaft through your tower legs would be a bit of a bugger, especially if you can just weld pillow block perches on one of the legs and run parallel to the leg tube with minimal shimming. The angles don't seem too severe for off the shelf universal joints, are they? I love this stuff thanks for sharing.

What are you using for a gearbox, something from Surplus Center?
The bodily excrement hits the turbine today.
See, I've had ongoing problem's with Simple Pump's lift pipe.
Started off with their original sched 80 1" ....9' sticks glued coupler one end. The damn things failed,...I'll not go into the gory details,...So, at some expense (and after a fishing episode induced by a failed glue joint,) that lift pipe string was replaced with SP's latest greatest "Formed Bell End" sched 120. Repeated repairs to THOSE joints have been required.

This AM, the entire string is hanging in the hole suspended from 5/16" fiberglass sucker rod, a joint having not only failed and induced downhole leakage, but rather SEPARATED entirely. Failure of one of the epoxy / methacrylate bonded joints in that S-rod spell catastrphe,...e.g. another fishing episode.

Spent yesterday building tools to GENTLY clamp that fiberglas Vicegrip Chain Tongs, Delrin, Plastic Welder, Mechanic's wire,....etc. I'll get a few photos later.
Worked over the swivel on the Coffing Fall, and cobbled up a 13 Lb. headache ball. Will have an aux single block, and another 4 part block to hold things during a breakout that I STILL have not quite got planned, and one that's going to pretty much happen in progress,....tool and tackle wise. It IS nice having the shop right across the yard, in that respect.

I'm not doing anything'till I get at least 1/2 a pot of coffee under my belt.

GTC

This sucks!

GTC

Hum, centering that shaft through your tower legs would be a bit of a bugger, especially if you can just weld pillow block perches on one of the legs and run parallel to the leg tube with minimal shimming. The angles don't seem too severe for off the shelf universal joints, are they? I love this stuff thanks for sharing.

What are you using for a gearbox, something from Surplus Center?

Vertical is relative, and going straight down center would trash the well's servicability ease
The shafts WILL hug / parallel one of the legs,....no U joints, HELICAL SHAFT COUPLERS are WAY better for this kinda application.

A gearbox will be scavenged from some CNC machine going off to scrap.
Unbelievable just how frequently that occurs.

GTC
Apples?
Well, taking the time to sort out the problem and have the right clamping and dogging gear ducks in a row sure made the actual task of pulling this pump a breeze.
[Linked Image]
Once it warmed, I stayed with it, and the entire stunt went pretty fast. Stopped and shot thes pics at Lift pipe #8, the bottom of which hangs @ about 74 feet.
The next two pics are what I found there mad mad mad
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yesterday a really nice old set of foundry tongs gave their life to the cause, and became a dog for the sucker rods, which worked FLAWLESSLY, today. Kinda' rough lookin, but the reinforced Delrin was "firm yet gentle". grin

[Linked Image]

UPS dropped off 30 Merchant couplings a while ago, they're soaking in strong "Purple Power" degreaser overnight, and will be welded into double lengths, allowing me to chitcan the bell ends, and thread all of the string with male ends,...OALs should come out just about right.

GTC
Apples?

Little long stringy looking ones.

Lousy flavor whistle
Quiet morning, wind wise,.....
Here's a look at the tooling that had to be put together for this particular task

[Linked Image]

30 Carbon steel double ended Merchant Couplings to turn into 15.
They "pickled" all night in Strong "Purple Power" and once rinsed this AM, dried with a torch,....stink of cutting oil GONE.
The Jig is up, and it's really up to the wind now whether I Fusion TIG em, or MIG em' .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They'll get pickled again after welding, and than painted with Rustoleum Painter's Choice.

Waiting on the pipe threader to blow in,....busy place, this.

GTC
I'm damned sure glad you work for the forces of good and not evil! laugh

Still in awe of your skills, Greg.

Ed
Looking Good Greg.

When you get it up and running, throw a few cannon shots off too. That will really have your neighbors thinking... then again, maybe not ? grin

Place does not look the same. You need you set out a few bales, and set up your water bed headboard bar.
Lathe I borrowed yesterday was filthy,....so I soaked the lift pipes I'd pushed through it's spindle bore overnight, and scrubbed the beJesus outta' em' this AM early.
[Linked Image]
Wind WAS up, so TIG was not an option,....Blorped hot MIG at squared up and prepped couplings instead.
[Linked Image]
Pickled em' in PP again,...Mig / anti spat spray I'm using
is water soluable
[Linked Image]

Back in 5
Painted em' with some stuff kids can eat off their cribs,even in Californicatia
[Linked Image]
This old pipe vice likely heard the gunfire from the OK Corral disagreement in general principals, and etiquette. Bought it at an estate sale in Benson, many a year back, along with a kinda' creepy embalming table.
It certainly needs a bushing or two, before tackling anything bigger than 1" PVC
[Linked Image]
The doubled up Merchant Couplings are fitting up as planned, and putting the individual pipe joints really close to original length.
I gave up on "tidy" masking after doing it once. WTF is gonna' SEE the damn things,....and the water won't care, will it?
[Linked Image]
Thanks "CJ", over at KBC Tools in Fullerton Cal. This dead nutsy Polish 1" NPS die nut showed up right at Noon ( the overnight freight costing more than it's VERY reasonable price.) By 4:00, after a quick lunch, and some unrelated chores I'd thrown together this holder, and was shaving the Original male NPT ends down to a good stronger NPS.
This particular die puts a really nice coned shoulder on the completed cut, which engaged the spec, cone in the couplers well.
[Linked Image]
Tomorrow AM, a friend's bringing over a Rigid threader, and we'll thread the ends where the original female bells were cut off in McNasty Lathe.

I'm bushed,
....later.

GTC
Looks like you got it whupped, Greg! smile

I've seen a few wells ruined because the pipe was dropped when it broke at the couplings. Mostly deep wells. Taint no fun trying to fish either.
© 24hourcampfire