Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Electric chainsaw sharpeners - 06/14/16
Ok. I know it's probably been discussed before.

But,,,, best for the money?

Something good but won't break the bank? Or fall apart after several months. Won't be an everyday tool. Seasonal for most part.

Was by both Northern tool and Harbor Freight yesterday. Wasnt to impressed with what they had. Am I expecting too much? Is Amazon my best bet to shop? Looked there too. Several available in my price range. $100- $150

Just thought I'd throw this out for the Magi on the forum for comment. wink

Thanks

Postscript

If there does exist an older link here on the subject feel free to post it.

Thanks
I'm not a real chainsaw guy, so take this with a grain of salt. A guru would probably laugh at this. I've sharpened my saws with a file for years and it was largely on a whim that I picked up a little Oregon Sure Sharp. Also to do with a couple fairly new chains that made some metal contact and I didn't feel like doing that much hand filing.

It's a 12 volt handheld grinder with simple depth and angle guide, and only cost 50 bucks up here. Likely half of that in the States. To shorten up the story a bit, I don't know why I put up with files for so long. Grab a handful of stones while you're at it.They don't last real long but are cheap.I throw the worn ones in my Dremel box and use them where dimensions don't matter much. I suspect, but dont know that diamond burrs would work better and longer.
I use my dremel now. Thanks for reply!

May just stay with it. It will save some money!
Bob, I have one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-30846...2&keywords=Oregon+Chainsaw+Sharpener

I use the hell out of it.

When replacing the stones, get the Oregon stones. They are grey in color. Not the cheap, pink ones at Tractor Supply. Those pink ones suck. frown

This sharpener keeps my saws sharp with way less cussing than using files. And they spin at the right speed, so you don't ruin the temper in the blade.
Yeah Barry almost like a Dremel! Matter of fact Lowes here in town has those same replacement stones! Gonna try a set.
Lowes was where I got my sharpener as well.

BTW, it has the correct angles marked on it for the right bevel.
Ive always used a file and have scars to prove it
Posted By: JeffG Re: Electric chainsaw sharpeners - 06/14/16
I don't sharpen my electric chainsaws, $50 for a new one, I just beat them up and throw them away.
Originally Posted by JeffG
I don't sharpen my electric chainsaws, $50 for a new one, I just beat them up and throw them away.

The power cord doesn't quite reach where I need it to... wink
I only go through a couple chains a year and fortunately I live right down the road from a little logging community where there's a shop that does em for $6 apiece.....my files rusted a long time ago....
Originally Posted by JeffG

Refering to the electric device used to sharpen gas saws. And like Barry I ain't got 1/2 mile of extension cord for them electric saws. laugh

(Sarcasm icon off!)
And like Barry I ain't got 1/2 mile of extension cord for them electric saws. laugh

I got a twenty foot cord and a generator. wink

That way when I'm a half mile away I know that my little 14" will start.
I always just touched it up with a file. Trick is to not let it get very dull, where just a couple of strokes per tooth does the job. Not hitting things other than wood helps too. Amazing how quickly just plain dirt will dull one. miles
I use a manual Grandberg sharpening guide that is worth it's weight in gold. They also make a 12 volt version that uses stones. I like the round file version because it doesn't eat up the chain as fast so it lasts longer.

I do mine by hand with a file. I agree nt to let them get too dull before dealing with it. It's not hard to tell when you need to file it. I spent all last year cutting wood where a construction job had cleared trees and they took no care keeping the logs clean. I filed a lot needless to say, but only used 2 chains the whole time. To me, if you keep the angle fairly close on each side and file until you get the teeth sharp (if you can "see" the edge, it aint sharp) they cut fairly straight.

If I were using a saw to cut wood planks, you would need a chain sharpened by a machine so it cut perfectly straight.
Anyone try the diamond burrs in the Oregon sure sharp? I ordered 15 of them on Amazon a few minutes ago. They should stay the same size from beginning to end of their life. That's got to be worth something.
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Anyone try the diamond burrs in the Oregon sure sharp? I ordered 15 of them on Amazon a few minutes ago. They should stay the same size from beginning to end of their life. That's got to be worth something.

I'll probably get some of those next time.

Just ordered the Oregon stones and gout them this week.

Good reviews on the diamond ones.
Thanks to a compadre here on the 'fire, have an old school Craftsman electric sharpener on its way to me as I write this missive. And it's American made!!! I think we worked out a pretty good trade.

More to come!!!!
I always use a file....not hard to do really...
Bought a PILE of Old McCulloch plunder at the Flea market some weeks back.....and my shop's shady and reasonably cool in the PMs.
Just woke this OLD saw up yesterday evenin', a "Power Mac 6"...a rubber "teat" that fits in the Carb's mouth was frapped by .gov mandated engine poison...I cobbled up a replacement, and as expected the little barely used beast SCREAMED into life. Honest to God Mag Alloy saw with minimal plastic, just the thing for wading into Thorn Mesquite.Adjustable carb, and a manual chain oiler.
......love me some CARB violatin' engines , and the decibel level is off the charts grin .

Anyhoo,....there's PART of a Granberg sharpener here, as well as a pile of file guides,....anybody wants em', they're yours if you'll pick up the postage.
Kinda' wish that the rest of that Grandberg gizmo was here, I'd give it a try.

GTC
Still use files and a little jig and extremely happy with what they do. Last time I took a new chain to the shop after a day of fire wooding, it came out with about 2/3 rds of each tooth gone. Kid must not do a set up at all. Chain would have probably been gone if I'd taken it in a second time. That's the event that sent me back to my files.
Yup, and they'll hand you that totally wasted chain without looking at the height of the rakers.
I've seen "shop sharpened" chains that would just generate fine sawdust,....nothing resembling a proper chip.

GTC
I had some of the diamond stones for a Dremel but, they got misplaced in the shop and the local Lowes didn't stock them any more. They worked and lasted well. I used 'em in a cordless drill.
I tried the Oregon carborundum stones and went through three before I finished sharpening a 16in chain. They're just junk.
Pull a properly sized file from the handle and put it back in loosely, so it can rotate. Chuck the other end of the file in a cordless drill. Go to work controlling the long end with the file handle. Sharpening goes pretty quick. Works well for me.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Yup, and they'll hand you that totally wasted chain without looking at the height of the rakers.
I've seen "shop sharpened" chains that would just generate fine sawdust,....nothing resembling a proper chip.

GTC

Yup, once you file about half of the tooth down, you need to top off the rakers/drags, and then keep an eye on them each time. The teeth are on a slant, the height gets less and less.
© 24hourcampfire