Home
We're looking to get a local pig for butcher. We found a guy that is selling gilts at a great price, but he says they are for breeding, not butcher.....?

Is there any reason on earth a gilt would be less tasty than a barrow? (given they are the same age and have been on good feed)
If there is a difference, I have never heard of it.
Absolutely zero difference. Back when I raised hogs, and killed several each year, I butchered both. Now, the guys who were making sausage out of the entire hog usually wanted cull sows. They had a lot of fat on them, and good sausage requires about 30% fat, or at least it did back then.
turns out the seller thought these two pigs were superior genetically, so that's why he wants them to go to a breeder. I'm picking up one. I hope it is superior tasting.
Originally Posted by T Bone
turns out the seller thought these two pigs were superior genetically, so that's why he wants them to go to a breeder. I'm picking up one. I hope it is superior tasting.

grin
Tough to breed barrows.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Tough to breed barrows.

laugh
No difference, I caught some wild pigs at lease, cut the males, turned them loose. Eager to see if we shoot or trap a cut one.
© 24hourcampfire