Home
Here's a little project from last summer.

The hinges rotted off my 7.5 ton tip-top trailer. Replacements from the mfg. had been redesigned w/o removable pins. So I elected to make up a couple extra heavy duty sets. I tore the trailer down, removed/treated rust, applied POR15 and top coated with an industrial enamel, re-wired and re-decked.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice work!

Better than new.
That is a nice job.
Very well done.

I'm a pretty fair Carpenter but to say my metal working skills are lacking would be a gross understatement.

Fortunately my friend and member here Lonny is a welding professor smile so I try stay on his good side.
Quite a job, but you took care of it. Nice work.
Thanks guys, it was quite the little project. The trailer was originally powder coated. Rust creeps under the powder coat, develops heavy scale/pitting and sheads the coating. There's lots of surface area/nooks and crannies on a trailer like this. I also had to replace the two box tubes that the hydraulic cylinders mounted to. They'd rotted from the inside out. Powder coating sucks. I had a good 160 hours in this. Looking back It would have been more cost effective to buy a new trailer, but this one now really is better than new. I'd previously replaced the hub and drums, bearings, swapped in Dexter Nev-r-just brake assemblies, installed 5 new US made rims mounted with 5 new G rated radials. I've got a complete new suspension on a pallet in the barn that it's just about ready for. I have five big trailers, but this one is used most often. It's super handy with the 16,500lb winch mounted to the front. Even with the right equipment, it was a ton of work.
© 24hourcampfire