Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
and I don't like it one little bit.

Since my eyes are also getting old I decided to install an under cabinet fixture in my kitchen so I picked up the light the last time I was in town and got started yesterday right after breakfast. I figured I'd be done by noon and I was but it turned out to be noon today.
I grant you fishing wire in insulated walls is time consuming and I had to redo the gerry rigged florescent fixtures the old farmer that owned the place before me had installed before I could tie into them but I still figure it would have been a 4-5 hour job back in the day.

I still need to pick up the tools and clean up but I had to stop for some ibuprofen and beer.

I'm whipped..... frown
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
Welcome to the club, Charlie! smile

I'll bet your project was done right, though!

I think you have a few years on me, but I know it's not the years as much as the miles.

Every year I add to the list of things I can't/won't do anymore.

Guys our age have earned supervisor status. If only we had someone to boss around... laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
And, I'm powerful afraid it will get worse before it gets any better.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
My dad is 65(?) years old and still going pretty damn good considering. Outside with me everyday since last November.

He will never retire. It'd kill him.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
I worked as a carpenter for 30+ years until my back did me in Barry. And then as a superintendent for another 14 until a tumor in my neck forced me to retire and I can tell you without a doubt that having someone to boss around isn't near as fun as one might think. Imagine a child care center for forty year old's.
I've made it to 67 though so I guess I'm doing ok...be doing a lot better if it wasn't for this dam back.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
Charlie, You must be doing something right though because you're doing a lot better than some I know. My BIL is in his mid-50s and is a physical wreck.

Back issues mess up a lot of people. That's what happened my BIL.

What did you do to your back?

Hang in there, spring is a comin'
Originally Posted by Lonny
Charlie, You must be doing something right though because you're doing a lot better than some I know. My BIL is in his mid-50s and is a physical wreck.

Back issues mess up a lot of people. That's what happened my BIL.

What did you do to your back?

Hang in there, spring is a comin'

It's just worn out from hard work Lonny. The last MRI I had shows three vertibra (SP?) that have actually fussed themselves together. I guess that happens when you wear out the padding stuff in between em.

I can still shoot squirrels and coyotes and run my little trap line though so I can't bitch to much. wink
The joints seem to last only so long.
My first was the left shoulder, and I'm right handed.
Shoveling, or thronging hay bales I suppose the left does the lifting, and the right steers.
Posted By: pal Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
At 73 I have to say "Screw the golden years!"
Posted By: Lonny Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I can still shoot squirrels and coyotes though. wink

You sure can! smile

I seem to remember you spilling some blood in this spot.

[Linked Image]
Yes, screw the golden years, you say!
Any better ideas than to live longer?

I recall Jack Palance doing one arm pushups at the age of 70.
I need to get into shape!
Posted By: stantdm Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/22/17
I am 71 with a heart stent, bad knees, AFib, and can't hear hardly at all. Got my cataracts removed and now I can see again.......see that I am in bad shape.

But it beats the alternative.
Originally Posted by Lonny

I can still shoot squirrels and coyotes though. wink

You sure can! smile

I seem to remember you spilling some blood in this spot.

[Linked Image]

I love it up there....that's definitely a special piece of dirt....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17
I'm almost 67, got arthritis, bad hearing, bad shoulders, but I ain't about to quit. Wrestled 3 calves down yesterday, banded 2 and tagged one, and felt like I'd done a days work afterword. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Got a full days work ahead of me today....got to do some work in the high tunnel, prune and spray some fruit trees, would like to plant some peas, and need to spread fertilizer on pasture and hay ground. I've learned that it all doesn't have to be done today, and that a little after lunch nap sometimes makes the day go by better.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17
I guess Rick needs to open a geezer forum! grin
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Shoveling, or thronging hay bales I suppose the left does the lifting, and the right steers.

One is labor, the other management!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17
ironbender, This is the Geezer forum, (Code is Rural Living, Psst, don't tell anyone!)
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17
If this is the Gezzer forum, I'm in the right place, I have been hunting and guiding 5 day's a week since oct. 1 we have taken over 350 white tails about 250 pigs and just over 100 exotics, don't know how many coyotes and bobcats, and then throw in some damn good Quail and Dove hunts, this week is the last week of hunting season and I am glad it's over for another year.

I am gett'in to damn old for this crap, I need some time to build a couple of rifles and fix a couple of hand guns and load some ammo for next year, hell i'm only 80 years old and still have a lot to do, but I think I will rest up next week for a few days first. Rio7
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17
Originally Posted by RIO7
If this is the Gezzer forum, I'm in the right place, I have been hunting and guiding 5 day's a week since oct. 1 we have taken over 350 white tails about 250 pigs and just over 100 exotics, don't know how many coyotes and bobcats, and then throw in some damn good Quail and Dove hunts, this week is the last week of hunting season and I am glad it's over for another year.

I am gett'in to damn old for this crap, I need some time to build a couple of rifles and fix a couple of hand guns and load some ammo for next year, hell i'm only 80 years old and still have a lot to do, but I think I will rest up next week for a few days first. Rio7

Hard schedule to keep up.

You need a youngster or two that know their stuff, and you trust to help you.

Enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee rates right up there with a good night's sleep. smile
ironbender, This is the Geezer forum, (Code is Rural Living, Psst, don't tell anyone!)

wink
Got it.
Posted By: Owl Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/23/17

Blue, paint them red... I like that red rifle you have.

Jeff
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/24/17
My mind says I'm too young to be a geezer but my body disagrees. Nearing 63, I've had surgeries on sinuses (twice), eyes (3 times), neck (once), and knee (once; and if cortisone stops working, that knee will have to be replaced). There's a couple of other spots that could probably stand cutting on as well, just haven't gotten bad enough.

My dad made it to nearly 71 and as far as I know the only thing he had done was removal of a German bullet from his leg. He could outwork me right up until a few months before he died. I just ain't as tough as I ought to be.

But I can still beat through the bushes cruising timber for at least a few hours at a time, and get a few things done around the place like cutting up firewood and so on, so although I'm getting to be a geezer at least I've still got a little kick left in me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/24/17
I get really stiff if I sit or ride very long. Once I get going it's ok.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
I refuse to get any more involved in the great American medical industrial complex!

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
So. kaywoody, how do you feel about undertakers?

They gotta eat too!

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

They gotta eat too!

The prices they charge, they ought to be eating real well. whistle

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
like he said, he refuses to get involved.....grin
It's just like my wife's cardiologist said to me,

"I'm damn surprised she will even still speak to me."

We wont even start on her oncologist (#2) at "Cancer Inc."

Oncologist #1 was too busy finishing her graduate degree in business management to be concerned.

Now they cannot (will not) treat or operate (again) as surviving the procedures is pretty much out of the question.

Heart transplant??? LOL! "Oh, right. We told you that you were elegible ,but we forgot you had melanoma. Our mistake! Sorry!!"

So once a week we drive to town. I push her in her wheelchair to
Have bloodwork for her INR count.

Hope the fentanol patches continue to work for pain.

After 20 years of watching her become the poster child for pharmaceutical companies and now shuffle around with a one handed Walker (left side paralyzed) as a cyborg with a 6" tungsten pump inside her, I've learned to keep my happy azz away from hospitals.

Posted By: kingston Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by ironbender

One is labor, the other management!

Yup, my left does all the bull work. I'm right handed. People who don't work with their hands assume that the dominant had would be most active. When asked which deltoid to put a tetanus shot in, I choose the right. That side does all the thinking.

Oncologist #1 was too busy finishing her graduate degree in business management to be concerned.

Now they cannot (will not) treat or operate (again) as surviving the procedures is pretty much out of the question.

Heart transplant??? LOL! "Oh, right. We told you that you were elegible ,but we forgot you had melanoma. Our mistake! Sorry!!"

After 20 years of watching her become the poster child for pharmaceutical companies and now shuffle around with a one handed Walker (left side paralyzed) as a cyborg with a 6" tungsten pump inside her, I've learned to keep my happy azz away from hospitals.

You're a good man Bob.

Originally Posted by kingston

You're a good man Bob.

Brian! I ain't any different than anybody else! My point is this. I'd much rather continue chasing wild hogs, hunting elk, smoke my pipe, drink my beer and whiskey, eat elk steaks chicken fried in pure lard and vapor lock out in the pasture doing what I like at 63 or
65 then laying in a bed crapping myself and not knowing what day of the week it is at 75 or 80!

I'm doing the same damn stuff lots of other folks have had to do! Hell we all know the risks! Life's one big damn risk! But after watching what my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, MY WIFE, go thru or have gone thru, screw it! Grab what you can!!!

My health insurance ain't gonna pay for some docs next safari to Africa unless I'm going with em!!
I prefer to meet medical folks socially, and lawyers, police,and some others as well.
I prefer to meet medical folks socially, and lawyers, police,and some others as well.

Bingo!

Carpe' Pudendum!
Posted By: jpb Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
Carpe' Pudendum!

LOL!

Now there is a Trumpism that I am going to start using! grin

John
I wonder how many millions, or billions of dollars are spent in the world, each year, still searching for old Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth?

Few, of the "products", work as promised, few.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
I'd much rather continue chasing wild hogs, hunting elk, smoke my pipe, drink my beer and whiskey, eat elk steaks chicken fried in pure lard and vapor lock out in the pasture doing what I like at 63 or
65 then laying in a bed crapping myself and not knowing what day of the week it is at 75 or 80!

Bingo......everything in moderation but I'll take actually living life in my Wranglers than dying in bed with a diaper on every time.
Well GFY, If you can't take a compliment!

laugh laugh

Originally Posted by kingston
Well GFY, If you can't take a compliment!

laugh laugh

On My way to the .223 A I thread!!! Mebbe there's some new chunky girls that showed up!!!

wink
I sure hope woody remembered to take his digitalis with him when he packed of the the 223 A I thread.
laugh
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/25/17
Originally Posted by hanco
I get really stiff if I sit or ride very long. Once I get going it's ok.

this is me too.....
Stiff in all the WRONG places.
TRUE!
But, as the old song goes - "Thanks for the memories"
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/26/17
I am with Kaywoodie, the hell with hospitials and doctors, I told my ranch hands if I fall over dead just wrap some barb wire around my foot and drag me to the dump. Rio7
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/26/17
That Rio, would be the easy way out.

Most folks are half alive, half dead in their last years
Anyone seen "Woody" lately?

That 223 A I neighbourhood is a rough place!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/26/17
I am with Kaywoodie, the hell with hospitials and doctors, I told my ranch hands if I fall over dead just wrap some barb wire around my foot and drag me to the dump. Rio7

Oh Lord, bind me and and tie my hands behind me;
And shove me down an auger hole,
where the devil he can't find me.
And tie my hands and tie em in a twist,
And gimme a bisquit as big as your fist,
And nail me up in a cedar casket,
So I'll thru Hell a-poppin'!

(One of my grand pappy's sayins')

I'm still here! Wabigon!
Glad to hear that, kaywoody.

By the way, any relation to Festus, you know, from Gunsmoke?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/26/17
Glad to hear that, kaywoody.

By the way, any relation to Festus, you know, from Gunsmoke?

Yes, twins by separate mothers!
Thank you, that clears things up a bit.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/27/17
You guys don't wanna stink up the place do ya? smile

Get buried the cowboy way!

http://billingsgazette.com/business...ad84d51-2eb5-5083-8e6b-ab26805135b1.html

[Linked Image]
Posted By: milespatton Re: Getting old and Feeble - 02/27/17
Oh Lord, bind me and and tie my hands behind me;
And shove me down an auger hole,
where the devil he can't find me.
And tie my hands and tie em in a twist,
And gimme a bisquit as big as your fist,
And nail me up in a cedar casket,
So I'll thru Hell a-poppin'!

Way better hearing you quote it in person. miles
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/05/17
I feel you pain FG. I'm just 44 and I hurt so bad by 9 o'clock every day I wonder if I'm not gonna be disabled in a few years. My lower back and right side gives me a horrable time. The carpentry didnt help your body any just as electrical work has ruined me. To many years setting trusses and pulling 500 MCM will wear your body down.

Hope you get to feeling more spunky.

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/05/17
Originally Posted by seal_billy
work has ruined me.

toss 20+ years of riding bulls in there (along with work), and then get back to us.........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wageslave Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/05/17
You sure got a long right arm......
Posted By: wageslave Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/06/17
Now, I mean.....
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/06/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by seal_billy
work has ruined me.

toss 20+ years of riding bulls in there (along with work), and then get back to us.........

[Linked Image]

Pass... my bulged discs would be exploded discs. Dirt bikes are bad enuff for me.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/07/17
I hear you fellows and feel your pain! I guess I played a bet to Hard in my younger days, and paying for it now! Tired of paying Doc bills and for Pills! Im afraid I might be getting Altimmers, see cant spell worth a chit anymore! I make the best of it, and plan on going out in the woods or fishing I hope, unless my mind gos 1st! and than I pray that ill know before its to late and go on my terms!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/07/17
BOOM !!!!!!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/07/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Don-
Yer doing that wrong.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/07/17
chit happens.........
Posted By: saddlering Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/08/17
Got that right Brother!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/19/17
Hang in there. Old age ain't for sissy's.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Getting old and Feeble - 03/26/17
and I don't like it one little bit.

I'm whipped..... frown

Ha,

I figured it out a year or two back......................

there will be no more pain free days!

Some days will just be worse than others.

But heck, I'm lookin' at buying another "toy" soon, so life's not so bad!

Geno

PS, quit sending all that water down here! Well, the water's not so bad, but the crap that's in it screws with our "machinery".

© 24hourcampfire