Home
Posted By: wabigoon Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
It's mud season, what is your gravel?
Lime rock is used around here, and rock quarried with the sand.

I know, we could sure use a lot more.
Posted By: pak Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
Limestone around here too. Much prefer granite based gravel. Granite is tougher,less dust and displaces mud and water much better.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
Limestone. Cheap...buy it from the Township contractor.
Posted By: mohick Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
MUD ????? dust control needed here!! hahaha
Posted By: mohick Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
MUD ????? dust control needed here!! hahaha Springfield MO. least amount of snow in history this winter!! 1.7 inches
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
The fellow that I worked for utilized mud. I remember one Sunday morning when he was gone and I went out to do chores. A 1967 Firebird was not the ideal vehicle for dealing with such surface. As I repeatedly waded through to get hay, branches, and whatever else I could use to slide a few feet ahead ata time, I was worried how I was going to explain my lateness (or complete absence) from church to Dad. Then I realized that he would be well aware of the reason after being informed of same by all of the members who were driving by and having some amusement upon witnessing my predicament.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
If you're talking about a barnyard with animals, it's better to add sand than gravel to control mud.

If you mean a driveway in your yard, limestone is better.
Around here the best thing is "marl" which is quarried from ancient sea shell deposits. It compacts into a surface a lot like concrete and is often full of fossilized sharks teeth.

Posted By: blanket Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/05/17
I only rock the road coming in and buy washed limestone. If you are asking about what to put in the corral nothing
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/06/17
We have lots of limestone here, and at one time there were 3 quarries nearby that sold gravel. Now, there's only one, and they have jacked the price up pretty good. I have a 1/2 mile driveway coming in to my house, and rocking it get's pretty pricey. I keep it graded very regular, and that helps the road hold up....until we get a big gully washer, and the gravel washes down the creek. That's the price I pay for living where I do.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/08/17
Best thing I ever found for a driveway or similar area was 'cement washout'. Plant gave it away and would load it for you.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/08/17
3/4" - 1" river rock. No crushed rock within 100 miles of my place, so we do with what's available.

The other choice is screened iron ore dirt when we can get it.

Ed
Posted By: stantdm Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/08/17
We use crushed river rock that is washed around yard area bythe house. Near the feed bunks and hay stacks we just use pit run as it gives us a much better base to drive on when it is wet out. The driveway gets 1" rock every few years. It is about time to do it again.
Posted By: Steve Re: Farm Yard Surface? - 03/10/17
Basalt gravel. Everything around for hundred of miles is Basalt. Other than the clay. That came from Montana and Eastern Washington durning the Missoula floods.
© 24hourcampfire