Home
Posted By: Troutnut Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
Me and a couple friends take a trip to Wva the same week every year. Fish Greenbrier river and tributaries, knapps creek, Cranberry, Elk , Williams and Cherry river and occasionally Buffalo, Seneca, Watoga and Summit lake . Weather didn't cooperate this year. Record snow in the mountains for this time of year. Still a good trip . Caught a pile of trout a few smallmouth and ate very well
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Creeker Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
I love smallmouth. Catch many in the New. And yes the spring snow really piled up.
Posted By: efw Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
That looks like an awesome time in gorgeous country man I love it congrats on a wonderful experience thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
Originally Posted by efw
That looks like an awesome time in gorgeous country man I love it congrats on a wonderful experience thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. Always a good trip
Posted By: MOGC Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
Looks like fun!
Posted By: Solitario_Lupo Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
Looks like a great trip you guys got going on. Where’s all the golden rainbows thought the state was loaded with them.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Looks like fun!
Always a good trip
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
Looks like a great trip you guys got going on. Where’s all the golden rainbows thought the state was loaded with them.
It's quite a few usually. We caught a few others but I didn't put pictures of everything on. They're a pain in the a$$ at times. Everyone can see them so everyone throws at them and can get really finicky
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] a few more
Posted By: gene270 Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
did you guys rent a cabin as base camp....
Originally Posted by gene270
did you guys rent a cabin as base camp....
Yeah we did. We've stayed in Richwood and Marlinton mainly. Stayed in Cass Wv this time and it worked out well. Nice central location for most rivers and under $600 a week
Posted By: Solitario_Lupo Re: Wva trout trip - 05/07/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut

I’m lucky if I get one a season. They are a very picky trout. Great catch. I would love to get a stringer full like that.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Wva trout trip - 05/11/23
Looks like a great trip. Bait? Lures? I’ve been experimenting with downsized lures that I would normally use for steelhead. I use a 9 foot ultralight and a float and small jig. Basically nymphing with a spinning rod.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Wva trout trip - 05/11/23
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Looks like a great trip. Bait? Lures? I’ve been experimenting with downsized lures that I would normally use for steelhead. I use a 9 foot ultralight and a float and small jig. Basically nymphing with a spinning rod.
We use mainly 7 1/2-9' ultralight rods , Shimano Sahara 500 reels and SOS 4lb mono. Pretty good all around setup. I use the same setup in Erie on steelhead and it handles them as long as you have room to fight them. Lures would have be 1/4 oz Joe flies, Berkeley trout worms on a 1/32oz jig head , Atomic teasers, Gulp minnows and if we got hard up powerbait.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Wva trout trip - 05/11/23
I use the bodies from the Trout Magnet kits on a 1/16 oz jig head of matching color, or a 1/16 or 1/32 Woolybugger jig when fishing with a float. The smaller Gulp! Minnows are killer on browns.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Wva trout trip - 05/11/23
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I use the bodies from the Trout Magnet kits on a 1/16 oz jig head of matching color, or a 1/16 or 1/32 Woolybugger jig when fishing with a float. The smaller Gulp! Minnows are killer on browns.
Gulp minnows are like candy to browns, brookies and the tiger trout .
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Wva trout trip - 05/11/23
I've been using those 1" gulp minnows on trout magnet jig heads with good success, even on rainbows, though they don't hit it as quick as Brooke or Browns.

Looks like a great trip, congrats!
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Wva trout trip - 05/12/23
Originally Posted by Troutnut

Man! That’s awesome! Most of the fishing I do is in Canada. It’s clear that I’m passing up great fishing, on the ones I want to catch, very close to home! Congrats! You guys have it dialed in!
© 24hourcampfire