Home
Posted By: Royce best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
I am starting to do a lot of crawler drifting in larger rivers for rainbow trout that average 2 1/2 pounds and range quickly upwards from there. There bite is often subtle and I need a rod that will detect those subtle strikes, yet have the backbone to handle 6 to 8 pound fish in heavy current.
I have been using an ultra light rod and reel with 4 pound test, which is more fun than a person is probably supposed to have, but loose a lot of big fish.
Thinking I will probably go to either 6 or 8 pound test on a new rod and reel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Fred
Posted By: troutslayer Re: best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
Give the fish a sporting chance and get a flyrod.
Posted By: Royce Re: best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
LOL

Got one
Posted By: fish head Re: best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
Go with a longer rod and a reel with an ultra smooth drag and you'll lose fewer fish on light line. A 7' med or med/light IM7 graphite rod rated for 4 to 10lb line is my choice for what you're describing.

I've caught hundreds of trout and many steelhead up to 12 lbs using just 4 lb test line and leader. It's challenging but it can be done and 4 lb test will get you more bites than heavier line.

If you invite me to go fishing I'll show you how it's done. grin

I'd love to get into some big trout.
fish head
On that same ultra light, I have played 4 steelhead in the 8 pound range, but these rainbows are something else right now. Must be the cold water.

Fred
Posted By: fish head Re: best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
What length is your ultra light?

Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: best spinning rod? - 12/15/11
I'd look at the lightest available rods built for Steelhead. Something 8'-10' in length, for lines 4-10 lbs.

G. Loomis, Lamiglas and Fenwick all make 'em, from about $100-$400.

Dittos on getting a good reel.

Scott

The rod I was using yesterday is a fenwick HMX, 6 footer- I thought I was was using my Loomis GX2, which was the rod I played the steelhead on, but I just checked and I was mistaken.
Any suggestions on reels?

Thanks

Fred
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: best spinning rod? - 12/16/11
6'6" or 7' Med or ML bass rod with an XF (extra fast) tip designed for senkos or dropshot rigs. Basically a rod with backbone and a light sensitive tip. You should be able to find a good imported rod for a C-note.
Posted By: Royce Re: best spinning rod? - 12/17/11
n the interest of research, I went fishing again today and took the Loomis GX2 rod and my Shimano reel- Worked much better than the 6' Fenwick, and landed one 22 inch rainbow and 9 other smaller fish without feeling under equipped. Still using 4 weight line, but the Loomis has enough spine to handle the bigger fish. I wasn't aware how different those two rods are.
Thanks for all the input- Learned a lot on this thread, even though I had to suffer almost an entire day on the river to verify. smile

Fred
Posted By: rattler Re: best spinning rod? - 12/17/11
know alot of the walleye guys on this end of the state love Loomis rods......havent got one myself but have used friends' rods and do like them......had i actually gotten more fishing in this summer i prolly would have upgraded one of my rods to one....maybe next summer....
Posted By: BGunn Re: best spinning rod? - 12/17/11
I like the 6'6" 1 piece (they come in 2 piece too) Light action, Fast tip, St. Croix Premier Spinning Rod. I use them for perch (up to 14+") and small mouth (up to 20") on Lake Erie, but have caught up to a 9 1/2 pound catfish on one. They really have a sensitive feel to them, which makes it easier to feel the hits.
They run around $110.

I use the Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris Signature Series Spinning Reel size 10 with 6 pound Fireline, and 6 pound Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader. I like this reel because of the large OD of the spool for fast retrieve. We fish 50 to 75' deep in Erie for perch, and this reel gets them up quick. These reels are on sale right now for about $80.00 (normally $100)
Posted By: croldfort Re: best spinning rod? - 12/20/11
The Loomis rods are state of the art for me. I have a 5 1/2' ultra light than can feel a crappie fart in 30' of water. It was a birthday gift from my wife about 30yrs ago. It is still outstanding.

Decide on your length and weight, and then go the extra mile for the Loomis. You won't be sorry.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: best spinning rod? - 12/23/11
Shimano rods are built in the same factory on the same machines as the G Loomis rods and carry a no hassle lifetime guarantee.....
Posted By: ingwe Re: best spinning rod? - 12/24/11
+1 on Shimano...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: best spinning rod? - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
+1 on Shimano...

Daiwa's Airbail leaves Shimano spinning reels lacking. Daiwa baitcasters are probably twenty years ahead of Shimano's technologically, but I think Abu may be ahead of them all in the baitcaster dept.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: best spinning rod? - 12/24/11
Originally Posted by Tom264
Shimano rods are built in the same factory on the same machines as the G Loomis rods and carry a no hassle lifetime guarantee.....

Shimano rods are made in China. They are great rods, regardless.

Shimano owns G. Loomis, but G. Loomis rods are made in Woodland,WA.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: best spinning rod? - 12/24/11
You know what? your right..

I remember someone saying that to me about 3 yrs ago and just had to google it up...Shimano is made in China but off of G loomis machines and technology.

Still Shimano's warranty blows G loomis's warranty away.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: best spinning rod? - 12/25/11
I have always been partial to Fenwick.

Doc
Posted By: Holston Re: best spinning rod? - 12/26/11
I'm a fan of the mag-light offerings from Loomis for trout, but it seems you are into a little bit bigger fish than me.

I recently saw where Shimano has expanded their Clarus line to include some rods that may fit your bill. These are great rods at a good price. Based on the info you gave, I think you'd be pleased with the 7' light/fast Clarus.

Posted By: Royce Re: best spinning rod? - 12/28/11
These are a couple of subjects from my scientific rod testing smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the less than ideal poses, but the subjects did not like posing on the snow. (kinda like a fish out of water...)

Fred
Posted By: RNF Re: best spinning rod? - 12/29/11
I have not tried and of the spinning rods but have a few of the casting rods and really like them.
These rods are designed by Gary Loomis. I have a local dealer that I purchase mine from but I think Cabelas and Bass Pro handles them also.

http://www.tforods.com/

Posted By: Dan360 Re: best spinning rod? - 12/31/11
I've never caught trout much larger than 2 or 3 pounds, but I've caught a lot of Pink Salmon and smaller steelhead in the 3 to 8 pound range and do a lot of shad fishing where fish average 1 1/2 pounds to 3 pounds. The rivers I fish range from 25 yards to a half-mile wide with fairly swift current.

I prefer a longer rod than most have mentioned, usually an 8 foot rod. I like enough power in the butt to move fish away from snags with a sensitive/soft enough tip to cast light rigs and feel soft bites. The rigs I use are very light. Usually, its a #4 octopus hook with 3 feet of 6# leader, a snap swivel with no more than 1/2 oz of pencil lead clipped to it. Usually less weight than that.

My rod of choice is the G. Loomis Steelhead Series 8'2" Spinning rod rated at 6-10# test. This rod is the perfect bank rod for rivers because you can cast a country mile with light weight. There is enough butt to fight the fish with a soft enough tip to keep really light leaders from breaking. I often have to use really light fluorocarbon leaders because of clear water. This is also a great float rod for trout fishing. The length really helps keep the line off of the water and helps you mend your drifts for a good presentation.

What's also great about the rod is that its also a great spinner rod for fish in the 3 to 8 pound class. #2 and #3 size spinners are cake.

From a boat, the length is really that necessary. From the bank, it really helps. At $325, its not cheap though. I have mine with a Shimano Stradic 2500 reel with lots of line. Great drag and smooth drive.

A less expensive alternative is the G. Loomis Trout Series at $225. This rod is a foot shorter than the Steelhead Series rod. It would provide a bit more finesse. The Shimano Compre rods are also great rods and around $100. There are lots of lengths and actions in that line and they are great for the price. Just not as sensitive as the Steelhead or Trout series rods from G. Loomis.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: best spinning rod? - 12/31/11
BTW, I use the 7" ultra-light Shimano Clarus for the smaller 12 to 18 inch trout around here with 4# line. In current with an 18 inch cutthroat, its a bit over matched. The 7'6 Light action Clarus would be more appropriate. The 7 foot Shimano Compre Light-Medium isn't bad but its nearly bass-stiff in the tip. Makes a great smallmouth rod though. There are some new 8 foot offerings int he Compre line that would probably be pretty good.
Posted By: chap Re: best spinning rod? - 01/01/12
G Loomis GL3 783-2. 6' 6" rod with very nice features......Nice backbone with great sensitivity. I've caught numerous big rainbows with it and it's a great rod.
Posted By: tack Re: best spinning rod? - 01/03/12
I have fished BASS tournaments for twenty years and FLW for six and have not found a rod more sensative than a G-LOOMIS GLX. Now that Shimano has purchesed them I doubt that perfected performance will continue. That said my second choice would be a Shimano Cumara.
Posted By: Les7603006 Re: best spinning rod? - 01/04/12
Check out Cortland Line Co. I have there 8 & 10 foot noodle rods and absolutely love them for light line and big fish. 20# Steelhead and 15# Browns are pretty common on 6# test for Kings up to 50# I jump up to 10# test. And there only $50
Posted By: Dan360 Re: best spinning rod? - 01/04/12
IIRC, Shimano has owned G. Loomis for quite a while (since 97 or 98), several years. If there is a drop in quality of the GLX, I think we would have seen it by now. I may be wrong though.
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: best spinning rod? - 02/22/12
Well, after reading this post, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring. I used to exclusively fish G. Loomis, and I touted them to friends, strangers, anyone who would listen. I decided to try a St. Croix one season, the 6'9" medium light extra fast Legend Extreme. I can tell you that I now own one GLX, that I hold on to for nostalgia purposes and own 6 new Legend Extremes. I even played with Loomis' new NRX and didn't play with it too long. I would strongly advise going with a 7'0" Medium Light Fast action Legend Extreme. It will be your go to honey for many years. They are made in the Heartland too, right in Wisconsin. Tight lines!
Posted By: santeerangerman Re: best spinning rod? - 02/22/12
I bass fish 1-3 days a week year round, except during deer season. I own close to 30 different rods from G Loomis, St. Croix, and Kistler. St. Croix's are one of the best value's out there. Hard to find anything better than a G. Loomis, and they price them as such.

Recently, I picked up a Temple Fork outfitters rod, made by Gary Loomis. Same guy that started G. Loomis years ago.
I have to say, this is easily the most sensitive, best feeling rod I've ever used in the $150.00 price range!
I'd rate the tactical series between the Loomis IMX, and GLX rods. Surperb craftmanship. Light as a feather, and balances well. I WILL be adding a few more of these to the rod locker of my Ranger...
© 24hourcampfire