Home
Posted By: wabigoon Fillet knife - 08/01/14
What is your idea of the best fillet knife?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14

Hollow ground, thin and flexible...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
As far as non custom knives the old rapala knives are hard to beat but the one above looks much nicer.
Posted By: forpest Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
Sharp is my number one criteria. I can make any knife work if it is sharp. Find one that has the flexibility you like. . which means trying a few. I like a moderate flex, nothing near the flex above. I have a bunch of Rapala's mainly because they are cheap - even cheaper second hand, which means you can have several knives to get you through a pile of fish, rather than having to stop and resharpen. Blade length probably 7" or less, unless you are filleting large pike, salmon, or ocean fish. Rapala's have a softer steel, which probably dulls more quickly, but is easier to sharpen. Buck has a harder steel, lasts a bit longer, but takes more effort to sharpen. Shrade ad Browning seem to be in the middle.

Hope this helps - and may you have many fish to test knives on!
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
Black & Decker from Walmart.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
Lots of commercial guys use Dexter Russell knives. I think that'll be my next filet knife. LINK
Posted By: JDK Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
I have a number of the Dexter Russells and like them very much.

Easy to sharpen and can get a razor edge.

Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Fillet knife - 08/01/14
I have used a Chicago cutlery for a lot of years, has worked well for me.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Fillet knife - 08/02/14
Knives of alaska, made in texas grin Great product

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=26

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Fillet knife - 08/02/14
My son and our fishing partner each have a Cutco that I really like. I do want to take this opportunity to state that the worst thing to ever happen to fish cleaning was the invention of the electric knife.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Fillet knife - 08/03/14
Never used one but I've seen too much meat wasted with people using an electric knife and just zipping down the fish. But I don't know if it's the knife or people just being careless.

Personally I know how to keep a Rapalla sharp and don't keep enough fish to take the time to plug in or maintain an electric knife. Think I'd like to try a Dexter Russell knife though.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fillet knife - 08/03/14
Electrics have their place. They're a whole lot better for filleting catfish, for example. The very thick rib bones on a catfish require one to either tediously cut around them with a regular knife, or zip through with an electric. Meat loss is lessened with practice - with ANY kind of knife.
Posted By: forpest Re: Fillet knife - 08/04/14
Some folks use an electric to gut thru the ribs, then a real knife to remove the ribs from the filet. Me - I can't stand the electrics. No feel - which is what filleting is about.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Fillet knife - 08/04/14
Doing a half a dozen salmon I'll use my browning filet knife, just the right amount of spine for me and stays sharp fairly well.

But if I were to move back down south and need to do 150 crappie at once with a manual filet knife, I'd never have another fish fry so help me. Electric knives are a godsend for panfish IMO. With practice you can do just as good a job 3 times as fast with an electric.

Fish waste isn't limited to the electric knife crowd either, you ought to see some of the salmon carcasses during peak run down on the Kenai where nobody has ever heard of an electric.
Posted By: tbear Re: Fillet knife - 09/01/14
I have used electric knives for over 35 years without a problem on Bluegills, crappies, bass, trout, striper's, pickerel, & cats. Use a fillet knife to cut the gill bones out. Like any knife there are good ones & bad. Use a Rapala with several different blades.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Fillet knife - 09/01/14
I do a lot of Walleyes, and perch each year.

[Linked Image]

Grandson with his first limit..

[Linked Image]

Box of 50 perch..

[Linked Image]

For the quick work, I use the American Angler Electric..

[Linked Image]

For the finish work on Walleyes I use the Buck folder..

[Linked Image]

I like them both a lot.

© 24hourcampfire