Home
Posted By: SamSteele Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/22/15
I took my family to our cabin in Saskatchewan for some ice fishing between Christmas and New Years. We ended up fishing for 3 days and caught over 200 perch total, keeping 80 for the freezer. I got a 6 man Eskimo popup tent on Boxing Day, so we could all fish inside one tent with a heater. Kids had a great time. This picture is of one afternoon's "keepers".

[Linked Image]

Peace and quiet on a frozen lake with your family around you, catching fish, telling stories, and keeping warm. What more could a guy ask for?

SS
Posted By: jpb Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/22/15
That is sweet!

One of the things I miss from when I lived in Manitoba was icefishing perch -- and eating them within an hour of catching them!

John
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/22/15
Great fishing! I like perch.

What was bait?
Posted By: TheKid Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/22/15
Nice haul. The pic should be titled "And the work begins"!
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/23/15
Bait was Northland Slug Bug and other micro jigs with glow heads tipped with a maggot.

SS
Posted By: forpest Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/23/15
I do hope you are acquainted with an electric filet knife. . or teenagers! Awesome eats!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/23/15
Lovely! I like the skin on so divide by 10 and that's what I usually keep. Hopefully next month when the eggs are best.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/24/15
Very nice mess of perch. Nothing better for eating. If you ever run low on maggots or just want to try something different, try perch eyes on your hook. Sometimes they outfish maggots and they stay on your hook longer.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/25/15
That looks and sounds like a great way to spend a few days having fun with family! A little work getting them ready for the fish fry, but I'm happy to do that kind of work. Enjoy!
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/26/15
Thanks all. All the cleaning and deboning was done by yours truly the good old manual way. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer!

SS
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/27/15
Get an electric filet knife and you'll never look back Sam.
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/27/15
I use a custom filleting knife that I inherited from my Grandfather, so it has become a source of pride to do it the manual way.

SS
Posted By: forpest Re: Ice Fishing Perch. - 01/28/15
I resisted until this year. perch have hard scales and rib bones, and quickly dull knives. I love sharp knives; I *HATE* sharpening them! I use the electtric - or however you spell it - to cut thru the rib bones, and then use a my favorite fillet knife to cut the rib bones out. Much faster, even when I shave meat off the removed rib bones. They make great fish chips!
© 24hourcampfire