Home
Posted By: seal_billy spinning reels - 03/08/15
I was wondering what brand of spinning reels you have had the longest service from. Many folks swear by daiwa but I haven't had the greatest luck from them. Them won't stop working they just get rough feeling when you crank them even though I go through them one a year. I have shimano symetre reels that are probably 15 years old and are flawless still.

I have had the best service out of shimano and pflueger reels. Others that i haven't used are penn and okuma. I also haven't used quantum reels in 20 years. How are the quality of those reels now? Quantum reels never impressed me but many people swear by them and the penn reels too. What about the revo spinning reels, are they as awesome as the revo casting reels?
Posted By: ingwe Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
Shimano, easily.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
My main concern with a spinning reel is that the drag control be on the rear where God intended it to be.
Posted By: Creeker Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
I purchased Penn SS 420 & 430 back in the last decade for smallmouth & they are showing their age. Also have a 450 I use for larger stuff & it's been a good one. I'm happy with all 3.
Posted By: ribka Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shimano, easily.

these days shimano. Have a few Daiwa's and Okuma's, Penns. I really think the quality on shimanos is best for price point ( Less than$150)
Posted By: ingwe Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
Just bought a new Shimano Sahara 1000......
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: spinning reels - 03/08/15
"longest service from", I've got a Diawa Emblem S 200iAs I bought in 1997 that's been used a lot with no maintenance. I've also got three Shimano Symetre's I've had almost as long. They all cost a little under $100.

If I was going to pick one brand today for quality and service it would be Shimano. One of the Symetre's was replaced by Shimano, no charge, after I broke it, sent it to them for repair and told them it was my fault.

A couple of years ago someone here said that even the cheaper spinning reels are made well enough to do the job and last a while. Use them till they quit (if they do) and replace them. It's as economical as having them serviced and a lot less hassle then doing it yourself. For average freshwater fishing I'm starting to agree with whoever said that. I've got a couple of Shimano Siennas, a 2500 and 1000 that are going into their third year with no problems. They cost about $30.00 and work fine. If they wear out I can get another for what it would cost to service them.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: spinning reels - 03/09/15
Since if I squint my eyes real hard I can read it as a historical question, Mitchell 300 series. I have a couple Dad had when I was a kid so they're over fifty(!) and still in use. Had them apart a couple times and they are tank-like and simple.

The Shimanos I use mostly are so much better, like night and day. However the oldest has only ten years or so with no problems so only short term testing approval. laugh
Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/09/15

I thought you used those 500s poobah. Those 1000s are sweet ain't they. I remembered you like fire line on those little reels, have you tried nanofil yet?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: spinning reels - 03/09/15
Shimanos are all I uses in spinning reels.
Posted By: ingwe Re: spinning reels - 03/09/15
Originally Posted by seal_billy

I thought you used those 500s poobah. Those 1000s are sweet ain't they. I remembered you like fire line on those little reels, have you tried nanofil yet?

You are right, but in recent years Ive gone to 750 because a 500 only has a short life span on a Canadian pike trip. The 750s handle it well, as I expect the 1000 will. Also found a medium action 5 1/2 foot rod for it which should be should be
the schizzle on pike...a bit easier to set the hook with that the ULs Ive been using.
And Yes I like fire line #10...I got cheap and tried some Power Pro last year...it wouldn't hold a conventional knot ....and I haven't tried the nano fill yet...
Posted By: SamSteele Re: spinning reels - 03/09/15
Depends on your price point I think. Shimanos have lasted me well, from the FX model up to the Stradic. I have never had a good experience with Quantum. I have an Abu Garcia Soron that is my go to reel as of late, but their cheaper reels are outclassed by Shimano. I have a couple of Okuma line counters that are only a couple years old. Seem okay, but not much of a test so far.

My first reel was a Mitchel and it was quickly returned for a Shimano FX. That was 25+ years ago and the FX still serves on an ice fishing rod.

SS
Posted By: BobinNH Re: spinning reels - 03/10/15
Shimano, easily.

Ditto here.

Ingwe have you tried Suffix braid 10#?
Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/12/15
One thing daiwa has going for them is low gear ratios. I use a 7' medium light to throw small crankbaits like #5 shad raps and bill norman deep tiny Ns and the low ratio works better than shimanoshimano super fast ratio but the shimano is better everywhere else hands down.
Posted By: ingwe Re: spinning reels - 03/12/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Shimano, easily.

Ditto here.

Ingwe have you tried Suffix braid 10#?

No, I haven't Bob, and I just stocked up on Fireline, so it may be a while.....Im old and tend to stick with what works for me, though I'll admit, Fireline has some quirks I don't like ...
Ingwe, The nanofil doesn't have as many quirks as the fireline but conventional knots may not work, I'm not sure. When superlines first came out I found that regular fishing knots would slip so I came up with a knot that was a cross between the polamar and the improverd clinch knot. Braid, fireline and nanofil doesn't slip with this knot but I have never used a conventional knot with nanofil so I can't say if it works or not. I have been tieing this knot since high school.

Double your line like a polamar knot, run the doubled line through your hook/lure, then twisit like your tieing a clinch knot. Now take the doubled end and pass it through the loop below the twisted part right above the eye of the hook/lure like your tieing a clinch or trilene knot now instead of finishing like a clinch knot take the loop over the lure like a polamar knot, wet it and sinch it down. I called it the superline knot because It works with superline better than any knots I had tried before. I use it with mono and florocarbon too. I use it almost exclusively except when I need a loop knot.

Do you use a mono or floro leader or just tie strait to the lure with the fireline?
Posted By: pal Re: spinning reels - 03/12/15
Love my old Mitchell's.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: spinning reels - 03/12/15
Originally Posted by pal
Love my old Mitchell's.
Of new style-Schiano's. Run abo a half dozen of 'em and they work very good. Old School Mitchell 300 and 308's. Got six of them and the youngest one's over 40 years old and runs like it did the day it was bought. They do need a bail spring every once in a while, but that's about it. Will my Schimano's be running in 40 years? 'Hope I'm here to find out.
Posted By: ingwe Re: spinning reels - 03/12/15
seal billy...thats my gripes with lines other than fire line...conventional knots don't work. The Palomar works on Power Pro, but the stuff is too limp....I need just a tad of 'memory' for what I do...
I may just try that nano fill next time I respool.....
I didn't like power pro either for the same reason. It was a mess in the wind too. Nanofil does have a little memory that's the reason I like it. It acts like really light mono on the cast. I can throw a 1/16 oz crappie jig with a spinning reel taped onto a flyrod probably 80'. And the guides on a flyrod are anything but efficient for spinning use but the action is perfect.
Posted By: lazi Re: spinning reels - 03/13/15
I'm loving my Pflueger Presidents. After using one for a year or so I realized that they need a good cleaning right from the box and then they are excellent reels. I have been tempted to try some of their more expensive models but honestly the cheaper models I bought have done everything I could want them do as well. I'm not working the crap out of them with big old fish and 1000s of casts a day though.

I like Fireline but have PowerPro on a reel and I'm liking both. But yes they have some quirks and take a little getting used to. I'm trying some NanoFil that I got last year on a couple of setups i but didn't have the patience for it when I bought it. So far it's working fine but I decided to use a flouro leader because I just don't trust the stuff to hold a knot on a lure. So far so good but it's still early I suspect I have some more lessons coming my way.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/14/15
My second favorite reel is the pflueger arbor. If you like florocarbon its awsome. It handles super line great too. I has a tiny body and huge spool diameter. Good reel for sure. The president put them on the map, killer little reel for a really good price.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: spinning reels - 03/14/15
I have two Abu Garcia Cardinal 3 spinning reels I bought with the Zebco brand that have served me very well for over thirty five years with minimal maintenance. The clean used ones on ebay generally bring well over $100 today and are very hard to find. These are the smaller versions of several models they made over the years.I think I own a total of four of these now.
Posted By: 65BR Re: spinning reels - 03/14/15
Love my Pfluegers, but have no issue with Shimano, hear the older Jap made were better, materials if anything. Copolymer Flouro 6# breaks like 10 - P-Line CX, SINGLE X, Palomar knots. Also using some Braid, strong, but some wind knots on occasion.

Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/14/15
Wind knots are what I hate about braid. The special knots you gotta tie don't bother me but wind knots pissmeoff. I also don't like the noise when it goes through the guides. And the fact that it wraps around your rod tip easily drives me nuts too. The pflueger Arbor is awesome if you like pfluegers and like super line and florocarbon.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: spinning reels - 03/22/15
Longest service? I've got my dad's Mitchell 300's that are older than me, and I'm 53. Outdated technology compared to today's stuff, but just about bullet proof, as long as you keep a spare bail spring at the ready.

As for the new stuff, I really like my Schimano's with the drag on the back. Darned good reels.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: spinning reels - 03/24/15
Nothing beats Shimano......
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: spinning reels - 03/25/15
Not to throw a clinker in here, but last year I bought a Lew's SG 300 and so far, I'm REALLY impressed. A year is hardly a long-term service test, but it is extremely smooth running (10 bearings), has a very nice drag, and just feels solid. It was well under $100, too. I spooled it with Power Pro #10 and a fluoro leader.

Lew's may have a convert here.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/25/15
A buddy of mine says the same thing about lews. Let me know how it is in 5 years.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: spinning reels - 03/25/15
My Daiwa Pro Team 2000 took a $hit saturday. Set the hook on a slab crappie and the handle spun backwards. The anti reverse was on but the roller bearing failed. Doesn't surprise me at all. Only the second season and failure, 100 dollar POS.
© 24hourcampfire