Posted By: ingwe Lip gripper/scale - 04/26/15
Who makes a good one at a good price...will be using it on pike up to #25

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: WinModel70 Re: Lip gripper/scale - 04/26/15
Boga
Posted By: forpest Re: Lip gripper/scale - 04/28/15
+1 on the boga
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Lip gripper/scale - 04/30/15
I hear the Boga's are good. Never felt like spending the coin on it. I use a Berkley Big Game for pike and walleye. Works well in most cases. Have had a couple smaller pike thrash around to the point where they can flip free. Bought one for my 11 year old as well.

For pike around 25# I tend to use a cradle. They support the fish better and less chance of damage to either party involved. I have seen some that fold up pretty compact if you are doing a fly in trip. I also use a Frabil Hibernet for remote trips. Packs pretty compact.

SS
Here is my son using mine on a walleye.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lip gripper/scale - 04/30/15
Sam...+1 on the cradle...its the only safe way to handle the big ones, and make sure they are released unharmed...I stress an inordinate amount when handling an unresponsive big one.
Mainly what I'll use the lipped for is taking pics of the medium sized stuff 8-12 pounds....much past that and their own weight can damage their innards on a vertical hold.
The Boga gets nothing but rave reviews, but Im not spending the coin on it either. This thing gets used 5 days out of the year, and of that, probably a dozen times a day...
The Berkley one would likely do what you want then. I buy them on sale for around 35 CAD. Comes with a 9v battery for the scale.

SS
© 24hourcampfire