Home
Posted By: Anaconda Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15

I’m looking at light or med-light action spinning rods

I have two Ultra-lights, but I want something just a bit stiffer, for trout in the 2-3 lb range
The main use will be throwing small lure and spinners in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range
Shimano Spirex, 1000 size reel, with 6 lb mono or 8 lb braid.
I’m thinking 6 to 6 ½ feet, and it must be 2 piece.

Any recommendations ?
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15
Fenwick makes many of their rods in a 2 pc. I am a huge fan of their medium light, fast and moderate fast action rods. I used a fenwick venture 6'6" ML (walmart exclusive) for several years for river trout. I broke it trying to unhang a spinner and replaced it with a walleye elite tech. I don't pay much attention to what the rod was "marketed" for cause all that matters is the action. Its 6'6" ML fast action rated for 1/8-5/8 oz and 4-10 pound test. It has really good guides on it and cast even a 1/16 oz jig very well. I'm completely saticfied
with it.

My personal preference for rod length has changed over the years but I have gotten used to 6 1/2' rods cause its the best of both worlds. Accurate casting and leverage to make long casts. I still use shorter and longer for certain techniques but for general purpose they are about perfect imho. I also like the medium light cause I can use the same rod for trout, river smallies, finesse fishing for bass, and crappies.

St Croix makes very high quality rods also as does falcon and both are made in the USA.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15
I like fenwicks and shimano, and i use the Shimano 750 size reel loaded with #10- Fireline. I personally prefer the 5.5 footers and have caught oodles of 2-3 pound trout on them,YMMV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15
Originally Posted by Anaconda

I’m looking at light or med-light action spinning rods

I have two Ultra-lights, but I want something just a bit stiffer, for trout in the 2-3 lb range
The main use will be throwing small lure and spinners in the 1/8 to ¼ oz range
Shimano Spirex, 1000 size reel, with 6 lb mono or 8 lb braid.
I’m thinking 6 to 6 ½ feet, and it must be 2 piece.

Any recommendations ?

This rod alone,has wellllllllllll over 1000 Steelhead on it...none of which would weigh as little as 2 or even 3lbs. Caught (3) 40-inchers on it,in a single day. Hint.

UL 9'6" Loomis 1141-S GL3 4-8lb and I'm happy with either a 2500 or 3000 Stradic aboard it. The length increase and spool increase,grants opportunity. 'Nother hint.

Dink.

[Linked Image]

Fenwick doesn't make any good rods anymore.

SquealsSilly is a Clueless Turd Polishing Kchunt and she likes to go outta her way to perpetually reiterate same,obliviously. Bless her heart!

'Course I only catch 1000's of Salmonids a year.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Though I do getta kick outta Clueless Kchunts trying to talk about things,like they've a first fhuqking clue.

FUNNY schit!

I gotta go glass for Booners...if only to grant more opportunity,for folks to extoll on their Imaginations and it's Pretend.................
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15
Where is that 'Boxer' fugger?...I like him better.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/09/15
I'm getting to really like St Croix spinning rods. Have three of them now, a 7' 2 pc Medium weight Fast action, a 6.5' 2 pc Light weight Medium action, and 6.5' 4 pc pack rod in Light weight Fast action. The LF pack rod has become my favorite for brook trout - has worked well with 6lb mono, light lures and spinners, trout from 8 to 18 inches.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
'gwe,

Spent all day with him yesterday Glassing Bears and gunning come-ups/stretching things out. Only saw 8 of 'em,but one were an ABSOLUTE [bleep] BEAST. Trouble was,I didn't have my NuCanoe in tow and there was 1200yds of water and another 500-ish yards of real estate betwixt me and the Booner.

It'll give me a reason to go take another peek today.(grin)

[Linked Image]

If only.

[Linked Image]

Though I digress.

'Croix makes some fair to middlin' lumber,though none of which has been cited. I prolly have a few feesh rods,that have some SERIOUS feesh stank on them.(grin)

Pass the UltraLight 1141-S.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_4056.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9680.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_1215.jpg[/img]

I'll save the discussion of UltraLight 1141-S High Volume Pursuits...for another day,as it wouldn't be fair to invoke Sensory Overload so early in the Thread.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_9572.jpg[/img]

Wouldn't wanna steal anybody's thunder,or get 'em to clam up.

Just sayin'.

Laughing!..................

Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
Mannnnn...I wish I could shoot fish like that!

But I'm shuffling through a life of quiet desperation, wading mountain streams in Montana and catching the non-sea-run versions of your fish on truly ultralight tackle.The bears I see aren't as big either, unless they have silver tips on their fur and tend to bite people.

Anyway, season aint even open on the little fish here,so I have to live vicariously, and kill a couple thousand gophers while Im waiting...
Give Boxer a big smooch for me! grin

P.S. They make boots out of rubber that are higher than yours and keep your feet dry. They market them under the name of "Waders". wink
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
I like some of the cheap Fenwick rods. You can get them on sale for a song.

The Shimano Clarus rods are great bang for the buck and the over the counter exchange warranty is like a sore dick....Ya can't beat it.

I'm too fuggin' cheap, broke, and stupid to have played with any Loomis gear. I'm sure it's good stuff.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
I have stopped by the local fishing store twice, and I keep going back to an "Okuma" SST, light/fast 6 1//2 ft, 2 piece.
I was surprised it was only $55.
I was impressed with the Shimanos, but they were all one piece.

These $150+ ($200, $300) rods are out of my budget.
I'm too tough on equipment, and so are the kids and rookies I take with.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
The Clarus and Convergence rods are around $75-$110 with the convergence being the cheaper of the two.

Both have the over the counter guarantee which can't be beat by anyone. Kid slams it in the car door, stop at the shop and swap it out. No sending it off and waiting a week. Easily worthe the extra 30-50 bucks IMO.

If I wanted to spend under fifty, I'd go Fenwick Eagle. I see them on sale for thirty or forty bucks on occasion.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
I thought I smelled $hit.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
Im like the rest of you guys ( except Stick) I don't revel in breaking a Loomis rod, and have had more than excellent service from rods in the $70 and under range. Again, fenwick and Shimano and okuma all come to mind.

Over the course of three years I caught literally over a thousand pike ( 5-20 pounds) and a couple hundred trout on one Okuma 4'9" ultralight... Then one day, when I gave it a REAL slight bend to pull some line out, it shattered into three pieces shocked....Figured I got wayyyy more than my money's worth out of it.

I like the Fenwicks and Shimanos even better,but Ingwewife keeps appropriating them, and she can ( and has) busted Ugly Stiks...so they don't last long with her.... frown
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/10/15
I have a Fenwick in a heavier action I really like, sorted through the racks in the sporting goods store to find it. But then maybe I don't have such good taste in rods, ended up liking the high modulus Bass Pro rods in the lighter actions. Now I do have a Loomis UL (Shimano Stradic) I got for my dad and it's wonderful, but like ingue hints I'll feel absolutely sick if it breaks.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
For throwing small/light lures, bubble flies, jigs, and bait, I like the $40 Berkley Trout Dough 7' light action rods. But I'm still using old Mitchell 308 and 310 reels.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
'gwe,

A Milford Turkey Shoot,is a purty good time...or so I hear.

I find it a bit more than a touch disconcerting,that The Couchbound Crowd is on a mission to preclude their kids having/using any Good Riggin'. Happiness is a War Face and an 1141-S greedily accepting the abuse.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BFD is something breaks,what routinely accompanies Good Riggin',is a Manufacturer backing their wares and with no questions asked. Hint.

Feesh rods are one of life's MANY consumables. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Hand kids the GOOD Riggin',stay outta the way and watch The Show.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happiness is a blank exploding on an enraged victim. Fhuqk it...schit happens,to them who ain't tethered to the couch.

Fenwick Bomb.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/SmokedHMX.jpg[/img]

'Croix Bomb.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3893-2.jpg[/img]

P.S. and by the way...once it rains and the brush is wet,it don't matter whatcha' wear,because you WILL be soaked to the bone. I prolly have a fairly impressive Wader Collection,knowing me and UISA's steal the show,both due to construction techniques/materials and the custom ordered fit.

Some times I do,some times I don't.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/DAD_3864.jpg[/img]

But luckily,it don't rain much here on The Milford.

Just sayin'.....................

'Mooner,

Some of the Clarus line,offer alotta bang for the buck...though that's namely Casters,not Coffee Grinders.

Clarus jaunt here.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/2R8G3427_zpsbb1592bf.jpg[/img]

I dabble it all.

Hint......................

SquealsSilly,

You smealt it,because you dealt.

Besides being full of fhuqking schit and a Clueless Fhuqking Whiner...you hit the Trifecta,as you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Congratulations?!?.......................

'hawk,

My Fenwick stash goes no heavier than Pacific Stik stand-up rods(5'6" 80#)...though they're re-wrapped with Aftco's,as the OEM guides were schit.

If getting a free Loomis replacement sickens you,serious consideration to living in a bubble,might help you right the fhuqk out.

Hint..................

'guy,

Akin to schlepping an Egyptian Hakim with a bent barrel and threatening to steal the show with same.

Let's just say...it ain't in the cards,let alone in the realm of possible.

Mitchell Coffee Grinders are hard on line,due both the bail and the brakes...then it gets ugly from there,regarding all other "attributes". If I lost a bet big enough to slum Retrostalgic,it'd be Baby Cardinals and Mitchell's as Decoy Weights at best.

Fhuqking around has never been my gig and I'll always happily save all the Fluff,for others to "enjoy".

I remain at ease,in sandbagging more than a smidge.

Good talk.

Laughing!.....................

(Addendum)

'guy,

I enjoy the hilarity of your Imagination and it's Pretend.

PLEASE keep telling yourself what you most need to hear and continue to do so aloud. Mebbe correlate how fast your Imagination "works" and just how "real" your Pretend is,to you.

I'm crying,I'm laughing soooooooooooo fhuqking hard.

Wow +P+!...............

David',

I fat-fingered a key,with all the sawdust in my eyes(in Sveltification Mode on a Roaring Lion plywood handle).

It's "USIA" and the gent running the show,is named Kim. He'll take very good care of you.

His schit is beyond bulletproof and rather amazing,from any/all angles.

Hint....................
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
Say again all, message garbled in transmission, over.

Addendum:

Larry, I still don't understand your message, as your version of the English language is significantly different than the one that I learned to speak and write. But, whatever.
"UISA's steal the show"

Waders? I Googled and can't find anything.
Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
I have a couple of GL3's and GL2's that I put Stradic reels on for trout duty. They double up for panfish, so they get used quite a bit.

I'm going to have to break down and order a pair of those waders. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
NICE! laugh
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
That is a tailgate full of slabs right there!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
Tailgate of gourmet.

Stick - what model red handle knife. Long blade filet?
Posted By: RickBin Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/11/15
For rainbows? I'm thinking 8 weight. whistle

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy. smile
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
'11,

Give Kim a shout and thank me later.

I opted the latex booties,as I like to match traction to the application. Mainly because they can be replaced easily and that were his suggestion,after I described my uses.

Feelin' your pain,as I don't like to deal with more than 1000lbs or so of victims in a day,myself.(grin) Mainly...because I have. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's rough.....................

'BR,

You cite the ubiquitous Victorinox Parer,which is a Milford Mainstay.

I buy 'em by the dozen.

[Linked Image]

Though what's really Skookum,is their Super Sly Folder.

[Linked Image]

But I'm not much into blades.

[Linked Image]

That much................(grin)

Crazy,

Happiness is a 10'6" tied in a knot.

[Linked Image]

Or an 11-footer.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MarchSister3.jpg[/img]

All with the best Poker Face in da' bidness,despite the fair sized Trout in proximity.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MarchSister10.jpg[/img]

Though Sister's favorite remains the 11'4" Loomis STFR 1363.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/SeptRRSisterCohoA.jpg[/img]

Even in rather modest water.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MayRRStartSisterE.jpg[/img]

I just stay outta the way and watch The Show.................

Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
Originally Posted by RickBin
For rainbows? I'm thinking 8 weight. whistle

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy. smile

Thats not a spinning rod, so you are disqualified. That can't be a rainbow either...looks a little like one, only bigger.....

Im gonna do a little more fly fishing this year too....
Posted By: RickBin Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
Yes it's a fly rod. Had to go 8 wt because that is Patagonia, and it is windier than all get out there.

And yes, it's a rainbow trout, and not a steelhead. 14 pounds. smile

Been trying to buy a new spinning rod but the fly rods keep getting in the way.
I hear you...just bought a new 6 wt outfit for our more 'moderate' Montana trout...

Use a 6 ft. 3 wt on the creeks here, which turns a 14 inched into a rodeo.

Then once a year I break out the "big" rod...a 7.5 footer and catch a few Northerns on it. grin

Im gonna have to make a pile of my trout in order to hit 14 pounds.... wink
Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
I can't claim any credit for this one, and the cell phone picture is pretty terrible, but its worth sharing. My buddy Calvin caught this brown on the White River when we took a trip there earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

It weighed 38 lbs 7 oz. and beat the river record by nearly 5 lbs. It was quite the experience. As you can tell, we were pretty excited for him!

To tie the story back to the thread, I'm not sure what brand of pole he was using other than that it was a 6'9" spinning rod.

Posted By: forpest Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
RJ

That is a hog - cell phone or not! And with big fish you don't need to hold them out toward the camera - because you can't! Just hope that fatboy wasn't caught on an ultralite rod!
Not trout...but this one was caught on a 5.5 ft. UL rod and a Shimano 750 reel...

[Linked Image]

And so was this one...

[Linked Image]

And this one....

[Linked Image]

And this one was caught on a 4'9" UL with a Shimano 500 on board...

[Linked Image]

I have more if you want them..... grin
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/12/15
That had to be a blast. Never caught a pike, much less on tackle that light. Wow!
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
I miss using the fly rods. It gets real entertaining for the peanut gallery with the typical prairie breeze. laugh
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
Aren't those a blast? Caught a 42 incher on a Bass Pro ( eek ) 5' 6" light with 6# line on a Symetre. Took a good while to get it in but immensely entertaining all the way.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
We use #10 Fireline......and frankly we can boat and release one as quickly with UL tackle as with anything else, and you don't end up tired after flinging a 7 foot rod all day.

Years ago I got an 18 pounder on UL tackle with #6 monofilament. You're right...it took awhile! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
A couple more for you...these were taken on a 4' Quantum Microlight with a 500 Shimano and Fireline..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
I can't claim any credit for this one, and the cell phone picture is pretty terrible, but its worth sharing. My buddy Calvin caught this brown on the White River when we took a trip there earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

It weighed 38 lbs 7 oz. and beat the river record by nearly 5 lbs. It was quite the experience. As you can tell, we were pretty excited for him!

To tie the story back to the thread, I'm not sure what brand of pole he was using other than that it was a 6'9" spinning rod.

I've fished out of Gastons down there a time or two before. how far down from the Dam where you guys? that is a monster of a fish!
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/13/15
A St. Croix 6'6" m/l fast will get you what you want 99% of the time for most inland browns and rainbows that have never seen an ocean. If I were to ever upgrade G.Loomis would get the nod, but until that day I don't feel slighted by my St. Croix rods...and yes I have fished with G.Loomis rods just haven't forked over the cash for any...yet. One thing I can agree with Big Stick 100% though is the Shimano Stradic reels are very good. My only complaint is I don't have enough of them.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/15/15
I have a soft spot for St. Croix. Way back in the early 60's my grandparents lived about 15 miles from the factory and Dad had them make up a rod for little kid me. It's a butt and tip section made up from a couple of very short UL designs they were experimenting with for fishing brushy trout streams in northern WI. Still have it and use it with the old Mitchell 308, pretty nice for a glass rod. A lot less expensive in those days.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/15/15
Good collection Stick.
Ingwe - you think as I do - good line can do wonders with UL - and oh how fun
Posted By: ingwe Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/15/15
Yep, the new non-stretching lines make it possible to set a 2/0 hook on UL, and Ive found the #10 Fireline ideal...if you really put the screws to it, your little rod will break before the line does...keeping that in mind makes everything go smooth... whistle
Posted By: 65BR Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/16/15
Yes you have to be Aware. I lean hard on using UL gear whenever I can.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Spinning rods for trout - 05/31/15
Follow up.
My search for a new trout rod ended with a
"Okuma SST", 6'6" 2 piece med/light-fast.
I drove all over town, and looked at
Shimano
St Croix
G Loomis
Femwick
and an Ugly Stick GX-2

One thing I learned,
One company's ultra light can be stiffer than another company's light or med light.
The SST med/light is very comparable to St Croix and Fenwic's light, and the Shimano I looked at was an "Ultra-Light, and it was stiffer than all of them.

I found several rods I liked just as much, but the only rod I felt was just slightly better, a St Croix "Mojo Bass" but it was a 1 piece and costs 2 1/2 times as much.
That's the good news, I was ready to spend a hundred bucks or more, but the Okuma was half that much.

Side note: I got a spool of 8# Nano-fill, and while I was filling the reel I found several lumps in the Nano-fill near the end of the spool.
I had enough to fill the reel, so I will use it for now, but I will switch to 6# Fire-line soon.
[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire